Start by marking “Sunstroke Unabridged Compact Disc” as Want to Read:
Sunstroke Unabridged Compact Disc

Sunstroke Unabridged Compact Disc

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  940 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The blazingly original novel from the most exciting new voice in crime fiction today-a brilliantly crafted modern noir filled with secrets, heartbreak, and mordant humor.

Unabridged CDs - 9 CDs, 10 hours
Audio CD, 1 page
Published January 5th 2005 by Penguin Audio USA (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sunstroke Unabridged Compact Disc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunstroke Unabridged Compact Disc

Read as part of book club. Not something I would normally pick up. Premise was interesting -- guy disappears, possibly dead, and the only person who goes looking for him is his secretary who has a bit of a love obsession over him. The resulting twists and turns, coupled with flashbacks, were intriguing (and a bit confusing), but by the end I found I really didn't care much because 1) I forgot which version of the back story was the real version and 2) I really didn't care about any of the main c ...more
I was given this book and immediately wondered what the relationship of the author was to Faye and Johnathan Kellerman.I found he was their son and an author in his own right.

An interesting plot,full of twists and turns.While this began with the disappearance of the Carl Perreira who employed the main character Gloria Mendez it developed into a hunt to find out what happened.

Gloria refuses to give up and eventually finds a message on the answer-phone that says he had an accident.Her persistence
Oleksandr Stukalo
Перший роман психолога й гітариста Джессі Келлермана.
Наявні: директор, його підлегла, зниклий директор, який, можливо, зовсім не той директор, який був перед тим як зник, красивий син зниклого директора, який з'являється після зникнення директора, поліцейський з родиною, який виникає у мексиканській пустелі, трунар, який знає якраз стільки, щоб рухати історію, і мертве місто, де, власне, і рухається історія.
Кастанеда танцює сальсу, жуючи пейотль. Усі виявляються не тими, ким насправді є, і тіл
Very different style from his father... plots more intiguing and characters more complex
Richard Waddington
I did enjoy this book...BUT...the plot felt unnecessarily convoluted at times and some of the strands that were drawn together at the end were downright 'dog-eared'. The storyline was clever, but also lost its way a little bit. This was the author's first novel and perhaps he was trying too hard to impress - there were odd moments when it felt as if certain plot elements were being 'shoe-horned' in and didn't quite fit. I liked the protagonist but actively disliked everyone else in the book (I t ...more
lynne naranek
Gloria Mendez is a thirty-something secretary who is secretly in love with her boss Carl Perreira. When he goes off for a holiday in Mexico, and seems to have been in an accident, perhaps even killed, Gloria takes it upon herself to drive down and claim his body... and thus starts her on a journey to solve the mystery that is Carl. A mystery that includes figuring out who Carl Perreira actually is, whether he actually is dead, and whether the person turning up on her doorstep claiming to be name ...more
Jesse Kellerman
copyright: 2006
isbn: 0-14-305840-1

Gloria Mendez is single and thirty-six, and secretly and somewhat hopelessly in love with her oblivious boss. He is both single and solitary, and far too old for her, but she has worked for him, side by side, for ten oddly companionable years. But when he disappe
SUNSTROKE (Non-Suspense-California/Mexico-Cont) – DNF
Kellerman, Jesse – 1st book
Jove, 2006- US Paperback – ISBN 0515142239
*** Gloria Mendez has worked for, and been in love with, her boss, Carl Perreira for ten years. Gloria receives an unintelligible message from Carl, who is on vacation in Mexico. When she tries to find him, she learns he was killed in a car accident. As Gloria tries to find out more about Carl, but the more she learns the more she finds he was not who he seemed.
*** I like boo
Leia Scharfenberg
I was suspicious to find a book written by both Jonathan Kellerman and his son, Jesse Kellerman, The Golem of Hollywood. I have read several books written by parent/child duos and they are never quite as good as the originals! That said, the book was really good. I decided to seek out Jesse Kellerman first independent book, Sunstroke. The book was very well written. Definitely a different style from both his parents...a little darker, maybe. Overall, great characters, great twist!
Debut novel of author Kellerman, son of suspense writers Faye and Jonathan Kellerman.

Thriller - Gloria Mendez gets a voicemail message from her boss while he is on vacation in Mexico. The message is garbled but says something about an accident and what might be a town name, Aguas Vivas. Gloria, has a severe crush on her boss and takes an odyssey to rural Mexico in search of the truth. Very slow starting but nonetheless fascinating.
Bronwyn Rykiert
The book starts with an earthquake. Gloria Mendez, 36, is on forced leave while her much older boss Carl, who she is obsessed with, is on his annual trip to Mexico. She has come into the office to check on Carl’s figurines and while there she listens to the messages on the answering machine and there is a cryptic one from Carl, when she works out what it says she makes some investigations and is told that Carl has been killed. Gloria's world falls apart, distraught and restless; she travels to M ...more
In Jesse Kellerman's mystery debut, Sunstroke, he told us a gripping tale about secrets and lies of the worst kind. For Gloria Mendez, she was a single 36-year old woman, who had her hopes and dreams set on her boss, Carl Perriera. But when she received a strange phone call from him after an earthquake, she set out to find out about his disappearance in a small ghost town in Mexico. From there, she met the Mexican police and was told he died in an accident. Back and forth, she tried to handle hi ...more
What started out as quite a good idea didn't turn into a good book! I felt it was just me but the book dragged in the middle and to be honest I didn't care if the guy who might or might not have been murdered, was alive or dead!
I had to force myself to keep on reading, the author must believe that detailed descriptions adds to the athmosphere of his book whereas I just wanted to charachters to grow. They seemed one dimensional.
The ending was a mess, there had been so many misdirections and twis
Meh. I suppose one could consider this book noir-ish or atmospheric or something, but it really wasn't all that dark. It was definitely character-driven, but that being the case, you would think there would be at least one of them you liked or were even curious about. And you would think there might be something that would happen to at least one of those characters that would make you care. Nope. None of that. And this Kellerman actually earned his writing chops writing a playwright. You'd think ...more
Linda F.
I found this to be so different from his parent's mysteries. He is definitely a writer worth reading. I find myself thinking about the unexpected twists and turns. I look forward to reading another one of his books soon!
Overall the book has pacing issues and the ending was incredibly anti climatic, but it was a decent read for a debut book. Interestingly, none of the characters are very likeable but they are interesting and realistic.
Mike Barker
First book I've read by Jesse, son of Jonathan and Faye. I took a long time to get comfortable liking Faye's books, but eventually drank the Kool-Aid. I've decided Jonathan's have become just a little too formulaic for me to whole-heartedly endorse. It'll take at least one more of Jesse's to fully commit, but I really liked his style. This book had a quirky development that I appreciated. I don't know if that had more to do with the ennui of the setting (for much of the book Mexico) or the writ ...more
Я бы написал, что это детектив, но по сути книга не об этом. Не буду оригинальным - в основе лежат человеческие отношения между шефом и секретаршей. Привязанности (а может и любовь) и настойчивости в достижении целей вполне достаточно для проведения расследования исчезновения человека. Порадовало, что автор не является исключением, когда иностранцы всех русскоязычных за глаза называют "русскими" (это же совсем не обязательно, ведь верно же?).
Поскольку это все-таки не детектив, автор видимо созна
This was a disappointing first book by the son of
authors Jonathan and Faye Kellerman. It's big fault was
that it moved so very slowly. There were no characters I
liked, and I really never cared much if the killer was
One line was: "If they remembered every good thing, they would never feel surprise, which is the cause of
happiness." Can't agree at all. I don't like surprises,
and they cause most of my unhappiness.
One bit of wisdom: "Knowing when to quit was as important as persevering." I n
read it awhile ago. excellent as i recall
Gail Augustus
This was my second Kellerman book. I wanted to see if it was his style of writing that I didn't like in general or if it maybe was his style for that particular book.

As in the case of the first book, the story line was good, but can anyone be more long-winded. Kellerman goes into too much detail when he describes things. You just want to jump past all of that and get into the story.

I like his characters though and the twists and turns of this story. And just when you think you know what's going
It was ok considering it was his first released novel. Some people might expect too much considering his family lineage, but I wasn't expecting too much. However I was still slightly disappointed. The mystery wasn't too enthralling nor did it really capture my interest. I didn't really care how or if the mystery would unwind. And the ending or twist was pretty unimaginative. However I think his future efforts will get better and better. But still won't surpass the creativeness and intrigue his f ...more
Scott Bagley
I've been in a book funk lately, nothing has really been to my liking. I like the genre of the "ordinary" person (rather than the cop, detective, fbi agent) in extreme circumstances, and that is what this book is. Not the greatest writing, but I'm sticking with it so far.

Finished this book now. It ended up being kind of a mess of a book. Lots of sidetracks which don't end up having much to do with the story, and when the author took me back into the story, I was kind of lost.
Well, it killed me to get through this book. It seemed like it just meandered everywhere and just didn't keep my interest. I think I will stick with Faye and Jonathan if I'm looking for a book by a Kellerman.
This turned out to be different from what I expected. More Mexcican than I anticipated, although there's nothing wrong with that. I thought the book was about someone who disappeared, when it turned out to be about the person who was looking for him. I believe this was Jesse Kellerman's first published book, and I found some of his descriptive passages to have been too worked over with a thesaurus. At any rate, the book was fairly good.
An LA woman secretary goes in search of her missing boss and travels to Mexico twice and finds the story behind the man. the story is told with enough mystery up the sleeve of the author all the time till the very end.
The story is well told but too much attention to detail. The story could have been told more interestingly using half the number of words.
A good effort. I will read more from the author before deciding if she is worth my time.
Well done first novel about a woman who finds her boss has vanished. Her closeness to him after years as his assistant sends her to Mexico looking for him. There she interacts with an eccentric Mexican policeman who lays down a smokescreen. The story takes some switchbacks and turns as she uncovers the truth about her boss and his disappearance.

Started a little slow, but grabbed me and held me to the revealing conclusion.
Not spectacular, but not bad either, and substantially better than anything I've read from Kellerman's mom and dad lately. (Faye Kellerman and Jonathan Kellerman.) It starts out with a fairly simple mystery, stays fairly straightforward until about two-thirds through, when it got more complicated (and interesting.)

If you enjoy any of Kellerman's parents' books, you might want to pick this one up and give it a try.
This was sort of an odd book. The protagonist's boss goes missing while on vacation in Mexico and it seems no one else misses him or cares what happened. Obviously that is a mystery to solve, but this book seems to care more about the main character's journey than solving the mystery, since so many ends are left untied. It is a testament to the writer's skill that I am not as cranky about that as I normally would be.
Jun 27, 2010 Enni rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no
Shelves: 2007
Yes, another member of the Kellerman family. I didn't like this book. The first half was okay although I had a lot of trouble getting into the characters. The second half went downhill fast. Maybe it's just not my kind of book. I don't need to have a happy end but the end of this one was just depressing and made me kind of angry I had waisted my time reading this book. Guess I'll stick to Mom and Dad's from now on.
  • Detour
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights
  • Above the Law
  • Murder at The Washington Tribune (Capital Crimes, #21)
  • Capital Crimes
  • The Embers
  • Too Many Murders (Carmine Delmonico, #2)
  • In this Rain
  • The             Rome Affair
  • Girl in a Box
  • Una brutta faccenda
  • The First Inspector Morse Omnibus: The Dead of Jericho, Service of All the Dead, the Silent World of Nicholas Quinn
  • Time Treasure
  • Sabbathday River
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)
Jesse Kellerman was born in Los Angeles in 1978. His award-winning plays have been produced throughout the United States and at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Most recently, he received the Princess Grace Award, given to America’s most promising young playwright. He lives with his wife in New York City.

More about Jesse Kellerman...