Start by marking “Dark Shadows (Dark Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Shadows (Dark Shadows, #1)

Dark Shadows (Dark Shadows #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Despite warnings from the townspeople, Victoria Winters accepts the offer to come to the strange Collins House as governess. For some curious reason she feels the secret of her past may be uncovered in the bleak manor high on Widow's Hill.

From the moment she arrives, Victoria becomes the target of someone in the house determined to destroy her.

As the wind moans and the rai
Published 1969 by Paperback Library Inc (first published December 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Shadows

Holly
This is #1 in a series of 32 novels inspired by the Gothic soap opera Dark Shadows. Dark Shadows ran on ABC Daytime from 1966 and 1971 and became a cult phenomenon in its day. In the 41 years since its cancellation it has become the show that just won't die! It has spawned two---soon to be THREE--- movies, a 1991 TV remake, two different comic book series and these 32 books, along with later publications by authors other than Marilyn Ross.

Canadian Dan ("Marilyn") Ross wrote the original book se
Jim Dooley
I am including only the first book in the series, although I do own all of them. This was the first tie-in to a television series that I had ever read. Oh, there were "one offs" and limited titles for some shows, but this was the first time that I had encountered such a huge selection of titles. With the exception of the tie-in to the theatrical release of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, these were essentially new stories that relied on plot twists that were revealed in the series. As such, they made del ...more
Keith
I was fairly impressed with the book. The writing was tight and fairly well done, if dated. Telling the story entirely from Victoria's point of view helped maintain the suspense. Had a nice romance/soap opera feel to it. I'm looking forward to continuing the series to see how it changes as the more paranormal aspects of Dark Shadows come to the fore.
Ramie
I've been on a serious Dark Shadows kick for a couple of years now. I probably should have gotten into it earlier, I haven't yet made it through the show and now that the movie came out the tv stuff is apparently back in high demand, the show is a pain to get on NetFlix all of a sudden, these books were expensive despite there being a fair amount of them for sale, etc. Still I managed to pick up 9 of the series for a decent price so I was happy as I didn't want to pay too much since I wasn't sur ...more
Williwaw
Hooray for Gothic Romance! Although I never was a fan of the TV show, I read quite a few of these "Marilyn Ross" Dark Shadows books when I was about nine or ten years old. I was seriously into vampires, werewolves, and creaky old mansions back then. I still have a soft spot for such things.

I'm now over 50, and surprised to find that this book reads as well for me as it does. It's predictable and formulaic. The characters don't have a whole lot of depth, but they are adequately (although sometim
Judy Ward
Loved being introduced to the characters. Many of whom were not on the TV series. Reading the book gives so much more depth to the story. Victoria Winters has a mystery of her own to solve. The TV series didn't bring this out. Really enjoyed the book.
Jess
I am really liking this book. Into the 3rd "season" "set" of the TV show. And the book while taking a bit of a different story line is still fitting in with the original stories from the show. Are any of the original books from the series by Marilyn (Dan) Ross available in ebooks?
Vincent Darlage
Not a great book by any means. The author seemed to repeat himself a lot, and the story kind of dragged - but the ending was appropriately gothic and in keeping with the way the soap opera this is based on borrowed and redressed plots.
Ellen
Enjoyable, since I'd never read any of the Marilyn (Dan) Ross books based on Dark Shadows, but lots of inconsistencies with the show. I'd consider it more like fan fiction than canon. Hey, it was free, so I was glad to get it LOL!
Randy Wiggins
Great book, great series, but I can't find them anymore. I wish they would re-issue the series in easy to read editions because I would love to read them all again.
Mike Richardson

Love anything to do with Dark Shadows. These stories are short but captivating as is the shoe of the 60's. I have collected all 32 and have enjoyed each one.
Andy
Not quite the TV series but good. I have the entire series I beleive in good shape from my Mother. Some interesting variations from the tv drama.
Jake
Charming little soap bubble of a novel loosely based on the 1966-71 ABC-TV series.
Laura Tveras
Couldn't wait for the next books in this series to get into my store!
Dan Myatt
Typical gothic romance / thriller, an easy and enjoyable read though
Carol
Jun 22, 2012 Carol added it
Shelves: media
very good adaptation of series.
Dale Rosso
Nov 05, 2013 Dale Rosso added it
Shelves: horror
Had since high school, good read.
Rebecca Krause
Rebecca Krause marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Carolina Neves
Carolina Neves marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Cheryl Reece
Cheryl Reece marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Rachel Nelson
Rachel Nelson marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Geanina Vasilescu
Geanina Vasilescu marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Sanni
Sanni marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Bonnie Seiwell
Bonnie Seiwell marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Q&A with Kath...: The Next Generation? 2 12 May 28, 2012 12:22PM
  • Weird Ohio
  • Dark Shadows: Angélique's Descent
  • The Religion
  • A Matter of Taste (Dracula Series, #6)
  • The Monster Show: A Cultural History of Horror
  • Freaks: Alive, on the Inside!
  • Battle for the Planet of the Apes
  • Grimoires: A History of Magic Books
  • Exiles Of The Stars (Moon Magic, #2)
  • Midnight in Never Land
  • A Dark And Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin, #10)
  • Freaks
  • Softspoken
  • Elves, Wights, and Trolls: Studies Towards the Practice of Germanic Heathenry: Vol. I
  • Hillbilly Gothic: A Memoir of Madness and Motherhood
  • Black Amber
  • Warrior Woman
  • Wonder Tales: The Book of Wonder and Tales of Wonder
William Edward Daniel Ross, W. E. Daniel "Dan" Ross (born 1912) is a bestselling Canadian novelist from Saint John, New Brunswick who wrote over 300 books in a variety of genres and under a variety of mostly female pseudonyms such as Laura Frances Brooks, Lydia Colby, Rose Dana, Jan Daniels, Ross Olin, Diane Randall, Clarissa Ross, Leslie Ames, Ruth Dorset, Ann Gilmer, Jane Rossiter, Dan Ross, Dan ...more
More about Marilyn Ross...
Barnabas Collins (Dark Shadows, #6) The Curse of Collinwood (Dark Shadows, #5) Victoria Winters (Dark Shadows, #2) The Mystery of Collinwood (Dark Shadows, #4) The Secret of Barnabas Collins (Dark Shadows, #7)