Start by marking “Massive Change” as Want to Read:
Massive Change

Massive Change

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Massive Change is a modern illustrated primer on the new inventions, technologies, and events that are affecting the human race worldwide. The book is a part of a broader research project by Bruce Mau Design intended to provoke debate and discussion about the future of design culture, broadly defined as the "familiar objects and techniques that are transforming our lives." ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Massive Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Massive Change

Gary
Sep 07, 2014 Gary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: design
This book tries to motivate society to think of the entirety of humanity when faced with an objective. Massive Change is structured in a pick up and glance format (which I didn't know going in, I assume the format was intentional?). Minimal depth, quick interviews, large photos with brief motivational statements. More of a coffee table book than anything, this book will only function in that setting. Sitting down to read this cover to cover is more frustrating than enjoyable because of its lack ...more
Ryan
In the words of author and designer Bruce Mau, "Massive Change is not about the world of design; it's about the design of the world."

The design of the world is a daunting and broad subject for a book, but somehow the Mau largely delivers on his promise. Massive Change is structured as a series of vignettes focusing on different subjects — bioengineering, housing huge populations, information communication and visualization, eradicating disease, militarism and war, etc. Within each chapter, inter
Artur Coelho
Este livro proclama ser não uma obra sobre o mundo do design mas sim sobre o design do mundo. É um objectivo elevado para um retrato de novas tecnologias e tendências culturais que contém a possibilidade de permitir ao homem redesenhar o planeta. Do urbanismo à engenharia genética, passando por meta-materiais, ciência avançada, organização económica e à inevitável influência militar, Massive Change mostra-nos possibilidades de redesenhar as sociedades, combater os maiores problemas com que a civ ...more
Abraham
An exciting book to get into - I love all those OMA-related big colorful books. The problem is that this is one of those visionary books that attempts to throw a big WOW over the nauseating forward motion of science and technology. That would be great if this weren't already fairly dated - nothing fades faster than the big wow of what technology will do to our way of being than a hint of being dated. And it'd not dated enough to be a nostalgic walk through the future of the past.

Still, some of
Dylan
This is the kind of book you don't read from cover to cover, but rather pick up off the table and read bits and pieces of from time to time, or just look at the pictures. The urban planning and sustainability sections are a little hard for me to get through since they contain essentially very basic information of the type I deal with every day at work, but presented as if they're the most radical notions ever put in print. And my brother-in-law Caleb is mentioned in the acknowledgments/contribut ...more
Phil
Great book on sustainability, but Bruce needs to update this book.
Damon
Its more of a coffee table book. Simple spreads about a topic or a person of interest vision on what is out there to be done in this field. Ultimately Mau is trying to perform the binding of many fields together in one book under the title of design. The article on Curitiba, Brazil made me completely re-think urban rapid transit to encapsulate something that is a more open system (buses with movable docking terminals that can grow and change with a city instead of a closed system like a rails.
Chris
This book takes on a huge challenge and doesn't completely succeed. It doesn't completely fail either. The book is well-organized and beautiful to look at. There are interviews with people who are prominent in various areas of industrial design and related fields. The themes are important: Responsibility, sustainability, the application of technology to human problems. It made me want to learn more.
Jack
Mar 06, 2007 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Architects, artists, designers, engineers, students, maybe everyone
This is a hugely important book to me.

Everytime I need some direction, am depressed with the state of the world, and/or I don't know what the hell is going on with my life, I have to read this book.

It's hopeful and optimistic to a degree that I could never be; a perfect foil, if you would. This book could be my mentor in design.

It was, and still is an absolute must-read for me.
Pierre
Nov 06, 2007 Pierre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Visionaries
Our world is changing ever more rapidly and at ever larger scale. Contributing essayists give a glimpse of our future ranging from information and science to medicine and health to infrastructure and the environment.

I am a policy analyst dealing with clean energy and the environment and find this book to be very uplifting that we can indeed meet the challenges of this new century.
Ian
Aug 07, 2007 Ian added it
Full of interesting ideas, some are appealing and some are kind of worrisome. I the basic premise and optimism of the project are refreshing, but I sometimes wondered "were have i heard this before?"
Michael Cetrone
This is an excellent compilation of where mankind is doing great things around the world in many endeavors that will be important to renewable and sustainable cultures.
David
Sep 05, 2010 David is currently reading it
Excellent source for urban planners, alternative energy companies, architects, etc. The book focuses on what we should do by exploring what we should expect in the future.
Pierre
This pretentious book is hopeful in the feeling that, YEAH WE CAN DO IT! but a big let down when you realize, WHY WE LREADY DOING IT ALL THE TIME AND THERE'S STILL SHITTINESS!
Charlie
changing the world through graphic design.
People will notice if you MAKE THE FONT ALL CAPS AND BOLD AND SO THAT IT COVERS AN ENTIRE PAGE SPREAD
Michael
So smart! People too often write design off as trivial because they think that it is just about "making things pretty."
Andy
this is a great eclectic mix of crazy thoughts. it's visual. The exhibit, while it was in Chicago, was great as well.
David Witte
Great resource for new approaches and ideas developed and being developed out there. It was fascinating.
Lori
There are some great photographs in this book and information on new technology related to sustainability.
Moses
Not really a reading-type of material. Never finished due to disinterest.
Skander
Dec 07, 2008 Skander marked it as to-read
After seeing the exhibit, I need to get a copy and devour it.
Jaireh
how can design change the world? this book profiles how its done.
Emily
interesting yet also extreamly boring at the same time.
Faye
Sep 08, 2008 Faye is currently reading it
designing designing systems
Charles
bruce mau yo. bruce mau.
Brandon Wang
Brandon Wang is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2015
  • Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
  • Design for the Real World: Human Ecology and Social Change
  • Glimmer: How Design Can Transform Your Life, and Maybe Even the World
  • Rural Studio: Samuel Mockbee and an Architecture of Decency
  • S, M, L, XL (Evergreen)
  • The Endless City
  • Atlas of Novel Tectonics
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • The City Reader
  • Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature
Mau was born in Sudbury, Ontario. He studied at the Ontario College of Art & Design in Toronto, but left prior to graduation in order to join the Fifty Fingers design group in 1980. He stayed there for two years, before crossing the ocean for a brief sojourn at Pentagram in the UK. Returning to Toronto a year later, he became part of the founding triumvirate of Public Good Design and Communica ...more
More about Bruce Mau...
Life Style Incomplete, Manifesto for Growth In Good We Trust: Innovation and Entrepreneurship for a New World of Public Good Douglas Gordon S, M, L, XL (Evergreen)