Start by marking “The North Runner” as Want to Read:
The North Runner

The North Runner

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The North Runner is a true and moving story of the building of trust between a man and an exceptional dog that was half wolf, half Alaskan Malamute, and the resulting mutual affection and respect between them.
Published September 17th 2003 by Natural Heritage (first published March 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The North Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The North Runner

White Fang by Jack LondonThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonThe Sight by David Clement-DaviesShiver by Maggie StiefvaterJulie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
Favourite Books about Wolves
37th out of 181 books — 190 voters
Watership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnimal Farm by George OrwellInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Themed Books
318th out of 471 books — 439 voters

More lists with this book...

Waboose Adventures
Jul 24, 2014 Waboose Adventures rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life.
Tagra
Apr 27, 2012 Tagra rated it it was amazing
Possibly one of my favourite books of all time. Very detailed and touching.
Lisa Kearns
Jan 31, 2013 Lisa Kearns rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by R.D. Lawrence I've read, and after reading it I've ordered half a dozen of his others.

North Runner is the honest, touching tale of a man who buys an abused wolf/dog hybrid named Yukon for his dog sled team. The dog is half wild and trusts nobody, and the man is lonely and looking for meaning in his life.

Over time the man and dog learn to trust and respect each other and become so close they can feel each other's emotions. They travel the North Woods together, camping, h
Karen Martin
Feb 05, 2016 Karen Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I read this decades ago, and it propelled me to read other books by the same author.

I very much enjoyed revisiting the author - a writer/naturalist - and his years living in the pristine wilderness with Yukon, his wolf dog.

Lawrence is poetic with his descriptive prose, especially that of the wilds of northern Ontario, Manitoba and B.C. You can hear the crunch of the snow after a blizzard, smell the pine tar, hear the jays and raven in the stillness.

Though the book shares the many trials and har
Andrea
Nov 24, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it
What made this book interesting was the description of the Canadian north and the dog Yukon. It took patience to get into the story as Lawrence is not a gripping writer. But it is worth reading if this topic is of interest to you. I have to say the ending bothered me and seemed a little trite and self-serving. I won't give it away but I thing the writer embellished the ending in order to not appear callous and self-serving.
Lee Yahnker
Oct 15, 2015 Lee Yahnker rated it really liked it
A man who moves to the wilds of Canada. Stories of Yukon, his favorite dog, which is half wolf, and his experiences as they live off the land.
Diane Wachter
RDC-M V 4 1979, 7/81. An adventure story about the bond between a wolf-husky and a man. Good.
Pat Parkhurst
Sep 21, 2014 Pat Parkhurst rated it it was amazing
What a book!!! Love Yukon! I don't think I'll ever forget this book of wondrous adventure.
Jackie
Jun 15, 2010 Jackie rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read. The author is a biologist who pays attention to even the smallest of living things in my magnificent country that he explores with his wonderful half wolf, half Malamute, Yukon. The story of their love and respect for each other will make you laugh and cry. Great book!!!
J.T.
Apr 06, 2015 J.T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, canine
I truly loved the story of The North Runner. At times the details of the land was a bit lengthy but the pull of finding out what happens with the "wolf dog" compelled me to continue through the lengthy details of the landscape. I would recommend it.
Kaitlyn  Reigel
Oct 13, 2010 Kaitlyn Reigel marked it as to-read
checked 10-13-2010
Betty
Betty rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Julia W.
Julia W. marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Frances Etches
Frances Etches rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Zane
Zane marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Joseph Muskat
Joseph Muskat marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Elle Wakefield
Elle Wakefield rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Valerie Sauve
Valerie Sauve rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Robin E
Robin E rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Emery
Emery added it
Mar 24, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Zoey Echols
Zoey Echols marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
R.D. Lawrence was a Canadian naturalist and wildlife author. Born aboard ship in the Bay of Biscay off the coast of Spain on September 12, 1921, he moved to Canada in 1954. RD Lawrence died of Alzheimer's on November 27, 2003 in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada.

RD Lawrence's many books are published in 26 countries and 15 languages and take us to animal habitats far from humans; to the boreal fo
More about R.D. Lawrence...