Start by marking “The Island of Horses” as Want to Read:
The Island of Horses

The Island of Horses

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Chosen by the Sunday Times (London) as one of its 99 Best Books for Children

The people of remote Inishrone, a few miles off the Connemara coast, know better than to go to the Island of Horses. Everyone has heard tales of men who have gone there and never come back. Yet one day young Pat Conroy and his friend Danny MacDonagh head off anyway, telling their parents that they
Published June 30th 2004 by NYR Children's Collection

To ask other readers questions about The Island of Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Island of Horses

When this book arrived in the mail, I didn't mean to read it just then; I only stuck my nose in to take a peek. Hours later I emerged, well satisfied at an enthralling read. Originally published in 1956, this book was reissued in 2004 by the New York Review Children's Collection. The author, Eilis Dillon, was a highly respected Irish writer for whom there is now an award in her honor for a First Children's Book, presented annually in the Republic of Ireland by the Children's Books Ireland (CBI). ...more
The book begins with the narrator – Danny MacDonough – noting that his memories of the Island of Horses are dominated by the impressions from his first actual visit to the island with his friend Pat Conroy. Their first trip to the Island of Horses (and subsequent visits, related to the crime that they discover is associated with the island) make up much of the substance of this bittersweet and nostalgic 1956 young adult novel by Irish writer Eilis Dillon.

Far more than the novel's plot, I lingere
The author's narrative style is easy, natural, serves as a tool to seamlessly transport the reader to the scene. I enjoyed learning of the unique Irish watercraft from a landlubber's perspective, and most all the characters were enjoyably realistic for their situation and period. This was a story that was easy to keep on wanting to read more of.
A children's book published in 1956, this was a well-written story about 2 boys living in the Aran Islands. Part mystery, part adventure -- just a good read about a part of the world that I find compelling. Despite its age, the writing isn't really dated, no details that made me squirm in discomfort. A book that I would -- without reserve -- hand to a middle grade reader. If you enjoyed the movie The Secret of Roan Inish, you will enjoy this book. I plan to read others by this author.
I started this after a trip to Ireland, in the way you come home and try to make soda bread - and fail. But Dillon's book is the real thing, and it kept my Irish idyll going long after I'd returned to the US. Beautiful language, wonderful descriptions of the west coat islands, scheming horse traders, Irish grannies - lots of fun. Love these reprints by the New York Review for children.
Wow, this was an exciting adventure novel set on the rural Irish coast. Very schoolboy but with lots of heart. A surprise since I had never heard of it. Reminded Bob of the Black Stallion books but gave such flavor for the life of the village/area.
A terrific adventure set in the west of Ireland. It is superbly well written and never condescending towards children, either in the book or as the intended readers, although it works very well for adults too.
ripping good yarn! Irish island sea story with horses. Great! Boys and horses. Great adventure story. A step up for Hardy Boys readers. Wonderful language.
Jan 21, 2012 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
We read this over the summer! Wonderful, enchanting and great for BOYS!
A great read, even for adults; it feels like Hardy Boys for the Irish.
Isabella Aitkenhead
Isabella Aitkenhead is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2015
Zonaira Abro
Zonaira Abro marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Iris Carballo
Iris Carballo marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Zsa Zsa
Zsa Zsa marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Edie Folta
Edie Folta marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Clara-Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Karen added it
Jul 19, 2015
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
ZM marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eilís Dillon was born in Galway, in the West of Ireland, on 7 March 1920. Her father, Thomas Dillon, was Professor of Chemistry at University College Galway. Her mother, Geraldine Plunkett, was the sister of the poet Joseph Mary Plunkett, one of the seven signatories of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic, who was executed in Kilmainham Gaol at the end of the 1916 Easter Rising.

Eilís was educa
More about Eilís Dillon...