The Island of Horses

The Island of Horses

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Chosen by the Sunday Times (London) as one of its 99 Best Books for Children

The people of remote Inishrone, a few miles off the Connemara coast, know better than to go to the Island of Horses. Everyone has heard tales of men who have gone there and never come back. Yet one day young Pat Conroy and his friend Danny MacDonagh head off anyway, telling their parents that they...more
Published June 30th 2004 by New York Review of Books

To ask other readers questions about The Island of Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Island of Horses

Caren
When this book arrived in the mail, I didn't mean to read it just then; I only stuck my nose in to take a peek. Hours later I emerged, well satisfied at an enthralling read. Originally published in 1956, this book was reissued in 2004 by the New York Review Children's Collection. The author, Eilis Dillon, was a highly respected Irish writer for whom there is now an award in her honor for a First Children's Book, presented annually in the Republic of Ireland by the Children's Books Ireland (CBI)....more
Bethany
The book begins with the narrator – Danny MacDonough – noting that his memories of the Island of Horses are dominated by the impressions from his first actual visit to the island with his friend Pat Conroy. Their first trip to the Island of Horses (and subsequent visits, related to the crime that they discover is associated with the island) make up much of the substance of this bittersweet and nostalgic 1956 young adult novel by Irish writer Eilis Dillon.

Far more than the novel's plot, I lingere...more
Suzy
A children's book published in 1956, this was a well-written story about 2 boys living in the Aran Islands. Part mystery, part adventure -- just a good read about a part of the world that I find compelling. Despite its age, the writing isn't really dated, no details that made me squirm in discomfort. A book that I would -- without reserve -- hand to a middle grade reader. If you enjoyed the movie The Secret of Roan Inish, you will enjoy this book. I plan to read others by this author.
Sharri
Wow, this was an exciting adventure novel set on the rural Irish coast. Very schoolboy but with lots of heart. A surprise since I had never heard of it. Reminded Bob of the Black Stallion books but gave such flavor for the life of the village/area.
Declan
A terrific adventure set in the west of Ireland. It is superbly well written and never condescending towards children, either in the book or as the intended readers, although it works very well for adults too.
NC
ripping good yarn! Irish island sea story with horses. Great! Boys and horses. Great adventure story. A step up for Hardy Boys readers. Wonderful language.
Holly
Jan 21, 2012 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
We read this over the summer! Wonderful, enchanting and great for BOYS!
Daniel
A great read, even for adults; it feels like Hardy Boys for the Irish.
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Mickey
Mickey marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Gena
Gena marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Dorthe
Dorthe marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Mar 03, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Michael Anson
Michael Anson marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Henrik Schunk
Henrik Schunk marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Natalie Hamilton
Natalie Hamilton marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
196094
Eilís Dillon was born in Galway, in the West of Ireland, on 7 March 1920. Her father, Thomas Dillon, was Professor of Chemistry at University College Galway. Her mother, Geraldine Plunkett, was the sister of the poet Joseph Mary Plunkett, one of the seven signatories of the Proclamation of the Irish Republic, who was executed in Kilmainham Gaol at the end of the 1916 Easter Rising.

Eilís was educa...more
More about Eilís Dillon...
The Lost Island The Bitter Glass The Singing Cave Children Of Bach Im Schatten des Vesuv: Timon erlebt die letzten Tage von Pompeji