Start by marking “Get a Grip on Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Get a Grip on Philosophy

Get a Grip on Philosophy

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A series of entertaining, informative science guides for non-scientists. Pocket-size design. Illustrated with cartoons throughout.
Published October 1st 1998 by Time Life Education (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Get a Grip on Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get a Grip on Philosophy

Richard
Writing general reader overviews on a topic such as the history of Western philosophy is most often a thankless task. Any author brave enough to take on the challenge and produce something intelligible is consequently deserving of respect. That said, I would not recommend this book. Turnbull suggests that there are three basic views of philosophy: technocratic, Philistine, and Romantic/revolutionary. The author clearly favors the third. In this group moreover, he places Socrates, Marx, Nietzsche ...more
Yuni Ananindra
Sebenarnya, buku nonfiksi dengan ketebalan kurang dari dua ratus halaman ini bisa diselesaikan dalam waktu kurang dari dua minggu. Tapi, berhubung waktu baca kepotong sama sakit dan pura-pura sibuk akhirnya buku ini mesti dikembalikan ke perpustakaan. :|

Buku ini cocok untuk pemula yang ingin tahu tentang seluk-beluk dunia filsafat. Di sini dijelaskan secara singkat perjalanan filsafat termasuk beberapa teori dan para tokoh sentralnya (meski saya nggak hapal ini ><). Disajikan secara "sant

Justin Hermiz
this book is a beginners guide on understanding philosophy. it gives you a basic understanding of philosophies from early man to modern day. it can help you understand how philosophies are different, alike, and all connected in some way.

i gave it five stars because i was so unaware of how many philosophies there are and the reasons behind them. I'm already a huge fan of philosophical books.

"it is through an awareness of death that we come to appreciate the reality of our own being and we become
Paula
The short, short version of the history of philosophy. Mentions the highlights of some of the greatest philosophers, from pre-Aristotelian thinkers to some of the more recent, more recognizable postmodernists. Written in a conversational style that might make some of the more difficult concepts easier to novices in the field.

The author also pushed the idea about philosophy not being "dead" but being an important part of everyone's life, despite an increasing dependence on technology and science.
an
buku ini memenani rhe selama 2 minggu habis kecelakaan sampe g bisa jalan. kerjaan cuma nangkring di kamar doang ma ni buku.

kenapa suka???
karena selama ini filsafat terkesan berat dan identik ma orang" tua ubanan. tapi ni buku dibawain dengan ringan, full color ma gambar.
seru banget, klo biasa na anak muda (cie... sok ngaku muda)bosen baca gituan (yg full teks maksud na), buku ini bisa jd pilihan yg g bosenin.

tokoh filsuf fovorit rhe dalem buku ini adl Desiderius Erasmus. jadi pengen pake nama i
Jewel
This book reads exactly as the opening few pages describe the book, like a conversation. As you read this book, you feel like you have a good friend sitting in front of you explaining the entrails of the godfather of liberal arts; Philosophy.

I loved this book. Though I already have a general knowledge of (mainly Greek, Asian and German) philosophy I was very entertained by this book. Full of funny little cartoons to emphasis points, this book really break down the basics of philosophy. It's also
Steven
An abbreviated approach to the history of Western philosophy that hits many of the major ideas. Yet it still manages to advance a particular view of philosophy as a discipline that asks philosophical questions rather than "technical" questions, i.e. questions asked and answered by experts. Turnbull argues, with a light touch, that we are all philosophers because we can all ask and potentially answer philosophical questions.
Jori Richardson
This book, approaching the subject of philosophy in an entertaining, unfazing manner, covers the basics of the field. I would say that it is written at a middle or high school reading level.
Personally, I did not enjoy this book. I don't feel that it's all that helpful to be cracking jokes about anything and everything in a beginner's philosophy book, and the attempted "comedy," which got old very quickly, was just annoying.
Eric Harrill
If you can get your hands on this one you'll love it--quite a delightful read I must say. Very condensed but a great treatment of philosophy. Great illustrations on every page. The pre-socratics were purer in their philosophizings. Plato was in the age of the technocrats--the corruption. Our modern age holds many of its forms. Few things I learned.
Nick Cox
Biased and over-simplified in places with some important omissions, but overall thought-provoking if read with an open mind and a critical attitude to the text.
M.E.
A good intro to many philosopher's theories, but in its attempt to stay simple, many of the more complex concepts become inconsolably convoluted.
Sue
I have only just begun reading philosophy and found this book amusingly interesting. The optimistic ending is great.
Fractalhead
ulasan yang simpel dan menarik bagi pemula yang ingin mengetahui apa sebenarnya filosofi itu.
David
Didn't finish it. Had promise but in the end decided to spend my time reading something else.
Barbara
A very high-level overview of philosophy... helps with understanding "Lost" characters and ideas!
Mar
Great, down to earth and easy to undertand book to engage non-philosophy readers :)
Daniela Lazar
Sep 10, 2009 Daniela Lazar is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading the English version, but they did not have it on here.
Natalia Xavier
O texto não flui, é todo picotado. Não achei legal de ler.
Damian
I used to read this to my ex-girlfriend at bed time.
Neil
Quick overview of philosophy for the novices.
Cassandra Carico
A simple overview.
Florence
Florence marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
delphia
delphia marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Mackenzie Somers
Mackenzie Somers marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Diego Gutiérrez
Diego Gutiérrez marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
  • Lacan for Beginners (Trade)
  • The Serpents of Paradise: A Reader
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Knowledge Here Begins Out There
  • Mid-Course Correction: Toward a Sustainable Enterprise: The Interface Model
  • On the Mystery: Discerning Divinity in Process
  • FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching
  • The 16% Solution: How to Get High Interest Rates in a Low-Interest World with Tax Lien Certificates
  • My Blue Notebooks PA: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
  • Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2003
  • Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy
  • Miss Manners' Guide for the Turn-of-the-Millennium
  • ESSENTIALS OF PHILOSOPHY: The Basic Concepts of the World's Greatest Thinkers
  • The Big Questions: How Philosophy Can Change Your Life
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Honor: A History
  • Weight Training for Dummies
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader
Radical Orthodoxy: Annual Review I The Communist Manifesto Rachel Carson's Silent Spring (Manifesto)