Start by marking “Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard

Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The family from Secrets of the Garden are back in a new book about backyard science that explains why the seasons change.

Alice and her friend Zack explore the reasons for the seasons. Alice's narrative is all about noticing the changes as fall turns into winter, spring, and then summer. She explains how the earth's yearlong journey around the sun, combined with the tilt in
Published April 22nd 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published April 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the Seasons

Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Secrets of the Seasons
by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld
Illustrated by Priscilla Lamont
Albert A Knopf 2014
Grades 1-4
Weather, Seasons
This is a Get Kids to Read review. Check out http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com for more reviews.

Secrets of the Seasons is a good review for children in grades 1-4. The science behind how the seasons change and why is explained by two chickens and two children. Simple text with graphic novel style dialogue bubbles enhance the story. The illustrations really do a good job a
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Age: 5-8 years

Length: 40 pgs

Summary: Two children notice how Summer is turning into Fall and explore the reasons for the seasons. Two chickens add side-note facts & humor to the children’s observations. The book goes full circle and since their story takes place in their yard, you see similar locations repeated during the seasonal changes.

Recommendations or Comments: There is a lot going on is this book. Its main focus is seasonal change, but then you get a splattering of animal tracks, bird
Amanda Lacusky
This book would make a fantastic introduction and/or review for 2nd or 3rd grade level students learning about weather and the seasons. Within the book, it also goes into types of birds and animals that you will see in the wild during that season. The illustrations are great and captivating for young students! There are really good facts throughout the book as well as real life scenarios and questions that young learners would ask.
Siskiyou-Suzy
This is a nice little non-fiction book teaching kids about the seasons. It's actually fairly easy to understand so it would work for the younger set -- at least parts of it. I'm not a fan of the scritchy-scratchy artwork, but it gets the job done.
Holly
I'll be showing my students this book about seasons to my class as a creative nonfiction book example. Two kids and a couple of chickens teach us everything we need to know about the seasons.
Michele Knott
Perfect to use with the new 1st grade science standards.
Explains why we have seasons - goes over the earth's tilt on its axis and how the way it tilts gives us the season. Good science vocabulary.
Bethe
bookaday #97. Alice and Jack are back and notice how the seasons change their backyard activities. Zoehfeld is reliable non fiction writer, but I liked her food chain book more.
Emily
Jan 03, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot going on is this book. Its main focus is seasonal change, but then you get a splattering of animal tracks, bird navigation, amphibian hibernation and animal communication. It does tie into what you might notice in each season, however for a younger reader it bounces around a little too much for me. I like the illustrations and the font choices. Over all a nice book for learning about seasonal change.
Emilee
Apr 20, 2016 Emilee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on the Seasons. This would be good for third and forth graders.
Stacy
Aug 07, 2014 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good book to add to a lesson on the seasons.
Edward Sullivan
Friends Alice and Zak learn about the change of seasons.
Mary
This is an incredibly informative book about the seasons and why they happen the way that they do. There is a lot of text, so would be better suited to an older audience or read in smaller increments. Excellent information!
Bambi Pea
very informative
Laurie
Oct 11, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for kids studying the seasons and the science behind seasonal changes. I like the split of the chickens explaining the science on one page and the "story" on the other half.
Nanci Booher
Mar 21, 2014 Nanci Booher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm all for teaching kids something in a fun and eye catching way (the chickens would do that for me if I was a kiddo:-)
 Barb Bailey
Good seasonal book that explains the reasons for the seasons. Educational and beautifully illustrated.
Aiyah
Aiyah added it
Jul 23, 2016
Laurie Zaleski
Laurie Zaleski rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Alisha Koc
Alisha Koc marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Terra
Terra rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Shantel
Shantel rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Clare
Clare added it
Nov 28, 2015
Shana
Shana rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Misterka Homeschool
Misterka Homeschool marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Janna
Janna rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Sagan
Sagan rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jul 13, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld is the award-winning author of more than sixty books for children, including DINOSAUR TRACKS, "a great choice for even the most discriminating dinophiles" (School Library Journal); DID DINOSAURS HAVE FEATHERS?, a Children's Book of the Month Club selection, described as "fascinating" by Kirkus Reviews; and DINOSAURS BIG AND SMALL, a 2003 Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Book ...more
More about Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld...