Start by marking “Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard

Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The family from Secrets of the Garden are back in a new book about backyard science that explains why the seasons change.

Alice and her friend Zack explore the reasons for the seasons. Alice's narrative is all about noticing the changes as fall turns into winter, spring, and then summer. She explains how the earth's yearlong journey around the sun, combined with the tilt in
Published April 22nd 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published April 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the Seasons

Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Secrets of the Seasons
by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld
Illustrated by Priscilla Lamont
Albert A Knopf 2014
Grades 1-4
Weather, Seasons
This is a Get Kids to Read review. Check out http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com for more reviews.

Secrets of the Seasons is a good review for children in grades 1-4. The science behind how the seasons change and why is explained by two chickens and two children. Simple text with graphic novel style dialogue bubbles enhance the story. The illustrations really do a good job a
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Age: 5-8 years

Length: 40 pgs

Summary: Two children notice how Summer is turning into Fall and explore the reasons for the seasons. Two chickens add side-note facts & humor to the children’s observations. The book goes full circle and since their story takes place in their yard, you see similar locations repeated during the seasonal changes.

Recommendations or Comments: There is a lot going on is this book. Its main focus is seasonal change, but then you get a splattering of animal tracks, bird
Amanda Lacusky
This book would make a fantastic introduction and/or review for 2nd or 3rd grade level students learning about weather and the seasons. Within the book, it also goes into types of birds and animals that you will see in the wild during that season. The illustrations are great and captivating for young students! There are really good facts throughout the book as well as real life scenarios and questions that young learners would ask.
Holly
I'll be showing my students this book about seasons to my class as a creative nonfiction book example. Two kids and a couple of chickens teach us everything we need to know about the seasons.
Michele Knott
Perfect to use with the new 1st grade science standards.
Explains why we have seasons - goes over the earth's tilt on its axis and how the way it tilts gives us the season. Good science vocabulary.
Bethe
bookaday #97. Alice and Jack are back and notice how the seasons change their backyard activities. Zoehfeld is reliable non fiction writer, but I liked her food chain book more.
Aprils
I enjoyed the illustrations. This book seems like it would be good for a 3rd- or 4th-grader who needed to know information about the seasons for a school project.
Emily
There is a lot going on is this book. Its main focus is seasonal change, but then you get a splattering of animal tracks, bird navigation, amphibian hibernation and animal communication. It does tie into what you might notice in each season, however for a younger reader it bounces around a little too much for me. I like the illustrations and the font choices. Over all a nice book for learning about seasonal change.
Stacy
This book is a good book to add to a lesson on the seasons.
Edward Sullivan
Friends Alice and Zak learn about the change of seasons.
Mary
This is an incredibly informative book about the seasons and why they happen the way that they do. There is a lot of text, so would be better suited to an older audience or read in smaller increments. Excellent information!
Bambi Pea
very informative
Laurie
Good book for kids studying the seasons and the science behind seasonal changes. I like the split of the chickens explaining the science on one page and the "story" on the other half.
Nanci Booher
I'm all for teaching kids something in a fun and eye catching way (the chickens would do that for me if I was a kiddo:-)
 Barb Bailey
Good seasonal book that explains the reasons for the seasons. Educational and beautifully illustrated.
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jul 13, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Brenda
Brenda added it
Jul 10, 2015
Annamarie Carlson
Annamarie Carlson marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jun 29, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Meow Meow Mia
Meow Meow Mia is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
MCDS
MCDS added it
Apr 16, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld is the award-winning author of more than sixty books for children, including DINOSAUR TRACKS, "a great choice for even the most discriminating dinophiles" (School Library Journal); DID DINOSAURS HAVE FEATHERS?, a Children's Book of the Month Club selection, described as "fascinating" by Kirkus Reviews; and DINOSAURS BIG AND SMALL, a 2003 Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Book ...more
More about Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld...
Toy Story 2: A read-aloud storybook What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases Flicka: The Movie Novel Secrets of the Garden: Food Chains and the Food Web in Our Backyard What Lives in a Shell?