Start by marking “Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)

Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Murder's Bold Inscription

"Whoever had broken into the shop might just have gone upstairs afterwards, might just be there still...My first reaction was anger: I wanted to roar up the stairs, only I could hear Barnabas saying, the way he used to when I was little: "Temper, Dido! Count to twenty-nine..."

Selling rare books has its moments, but few are anything close to thrilli
Published October 1st 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 21st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Death's Autograph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death's Autograph

P.
Feb 22, 2011 P. rated it liked it
The story: A dyspepsic antiquarian book seller [vast mention of antacids, alka-selzer and indigestion] gets involved in crime due to her poor choice in men. Hence her involvement with the predatory and married cop who arrives to solve the crime, is not at all surprising.

But he doesn't solve the crime.

Neither does she.

This is left to her aging dad, by far the brightest and most interesting character in the book.
Rich
Nov 26, 2013 Rich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I wish I could give a 2.5 rating as I'm not sure if I liked the first book in the Dido Hoare series or not. I often find that first novels of a series leave me feeling this way. Usually I give the author the benefit of the doubt and lean towards both recommending them or attempting other books in the series. But for the Dido Hoare series I think it's curtains. There just wasn't enough substance to give Marianne Macdonald another shot.

Death's Autograph is a pretty straight-forward mystery. While
JayeL
Apr 04, 2009 JayeL rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This is one of those mysteries where nothing makes sense. All of the things that take place don't seem to relate to each other. This is probably the way it seems if you are inside the events in real life, so I guess in that respect it is a well written mystery book. From a reader's point of view, I want to know more than the characters do. Yes, I am one of those people that always reads the last page first.

The ending was a little confusing. I don't know if I was too tired or it was too complex,
Fanficfan44
Jul 20, 2013 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
I just found this series by Marianne MacDonald and my library system had the first book, Death’s Autograph. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more in the series. The protagonist, Dido Hoare, is a book shop owner/book antiquarian, in her 30s and divorced. She is smart and independent, a really likable character still reeling somewhat over her divorce from Davey. Barnabas is Dido’s father, a retired professor, and her main support system. The love interest is a police officer ...more
BeParticular
Mar 10, 2016 BeParticular rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this very much. Macdonald writes cleverly and creates interesting characters and situations. The antiquarian bookseller angle was enough to be interesting without dragging down the story. The mystery kept me guessing and ended on a satisfying note with new entanglements introduced for the next installment. And I'll be picking that up quite soon.
Grey853
Sep 07, 2010 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Endeavour Press
This book is published by Endeavour Press.
Stef
Oct 12, 2008 Stef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The first novel by Marianne Macdonald about the second hand bookseller Dido Hoare and her father Barnabas. It is well written and good to read. If you are interested in her books, you should read this one first because it contains a lot of information that are somehow important for her other books with Dido Hoare. Not that those information are vital for the other stories but those facts explain a lot and answer many questions that might pop up.
Sharonm
Jun 06, 2010 Sharonm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st in the Dido Hoare, antiquarian bookseller, series. This was a nicely complex story line that involved old books and a bit of the bookseller’s world. Dido spent a little too much of her time worried about the men in her life and jumping into bed with them, and there were some editing errors that were annoying. Otherwise, this novel was full of action and the mystery was interesting and unpredictable without being over-the-top.
Jane
Mar 18, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: myst
Plot totally believable, which is scary!
Rachel
Jan 27, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
Dido Hoare runs an antiquarian bookstore in London. When her ex-husband Davey turns up suddenly and is soon murdered Dido becomes involved in the police investigation. I liked the characters of Dido and her father Barnabas, a retired Oxford professor. There's a twist at the end that makes me want to find more books in this series.
Missy
Aug 18, 2007 Missy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bibliophiles
The first book in the antiquarian bookshop mystery series. Dido is a fresh sleuth with a super side-kick her father, Barnabas. I love the setting, plot, abd additional book lore. I so look forward to rest of the series.
Michelle
Aug 13, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
wanted to love it, but could not warm to the protagonist - watching her fall back into the orbit of her con-artist/adulterer ex-husband was painful, and she just didn't seem very fond of anything else, including the books.
Q
Aug 19, 2012 Q rated it really liked it
Shelves: love
A highly unusual mystery written full of suspense. Keeps you wanting to read more by leaving you at a cliff along with the people in the book.
Lila
May 30, 2009 Lila rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The main character and her antiquarian book business were interesting but the mystery only so-so.
Joan
Aug 21, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it
Good English mystery with interesting characters...looking forward to the next one.
Laurie
Apr 04, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it
This series about an antiquarian book seller in London is a favorite.
Sharon Rogers
I liked it enough to read the second in this series,"Ghost Walk."
Paige Kuether
fun English mystery, predictable ending.
Maddy
May 23, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2001-reads
RATING: 3.5
Gary
Jul 16, 2007 Gary rated it really liked it
Fun bibliomystery
Sarah Taelemans
Sarah Taelemans marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Mary
Mary added it
Apr 18, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Heatherlipinski
Heatherlipinski rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Terrie
Terrie rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Uncatalogued (A Booklover's Mystery, #6)
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • The Blue Rose
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Boulevard Assassin
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Chilford Ripper
  • Swimming with the Dead (An Underwater Investigation Book 1)
  • If I Were You
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • The Ballroom on Magnolia Street
  • Speak To Me Of Love
MARIANNE MACDONALD was born in the lumber town of Kenora, Northern Ontario, and grew up in Winnipeg and Montreal. Her first children's book was published when she was 16. She took her BA at McGill University, then went to Oxford for graduate studies in English. For thirty years she pretended to be an academic, acquiring various degrees and teaching at universities in Canada and England. She left t ...more
More about Marianne Macdonald...

Dido Hoare (8 books)
  • Ghost Walk (Dido Hoare, #2)
  • Smoke Screen (Dido Hoare, #3)
  • Road Kill (Dido Hoare, #4)
  • Blood Lies (Dido Hoare, #5)
  • Die Once (Dido Hoare, #6)
  • Three Monkeys (Dido Hoare, #7)
  • Faking It (Dido Hoare, #8)