Start by marking “Stepping Up: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent” as Want to Read:
Stepping Up: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent

Stepping Up: A Journey Through the Psalms of Ascent

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,377 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Takes a look at the pilgrimage theme found in Psalms 120 134 and explores the major feasts of Israel. For the ancient Israelites, pilgrimage was a three-times-per-year journey to the temple in Jerusalem; for New Testament believers all of life becomes a journey together toward the new Jerusalem. Contains homework for six sessions. Leader Kit, Leader Guide, and Audio CDs av ...more
175 pages
Published February 1st 2009 (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stepping Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stepping Up

Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Purpose Driven Life by Rick WarrenThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Christian Books
298th out of 1,225 books — 929 voters
Mere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Pursuit of God by A.W. TozerKnowing God by J.I. PackerDesiring God by John PiperDon't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Best Books on the Gospel
38th out of 134 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanne
Jun 23, 2009 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
Just finished week one...can't wait for the small group discussion. I almost wish that there was homework for every day, but I did learn what section I want to read first in my new study bible. The bible is a challenging book to figure out how to start reading it.
Karen
Jan 02, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful bible study on the Psalms. Great, great teaching on worship and the power of praising
God through every season of life.
Kristin
Apr 27, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it
It's amazing how much more can be learned by actually studying the bible vs just reading it. Beth Moore makes our job easier by combing through commentaries and presenting us with viewpoints and insights that will stretch us. In particular, Moore draws our attention to the use of metaphor and provides good context/historical notes that aid with understanding.

In comparison to other Moore studies, these seem a little shorter, making them fit into life more easily. In addition, I really appreciated
Alice
Aug 19, 2008 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
If you receive an invitation to take part in this newest Beth Moore study, don't hesitate to accept. Stepping Up is an excellent study on Psalms 120-134,although it is chiefly for ladies, as you'll see when you begin to enjoy her lively and humorous anecdotes!

As usual, the workbook is designed to be used in conjunction with the video lectures, available separately or online. "Homework" is completed five days during the week, and Beth's "live" presentation picks up on the theme and deepens it wit
Chiqui
Dec 28, 2015 Chiqui rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-studies
Cruse
Oct 20, 2014 Cruse rated it it was amazing
I love all of Beth Moore's books because she see things in a way that no one else does. She really makes me think outside of the box. This particular study gave me comfort and touched me more than any of her other studies thus far. I recommend it to everyone, but depending on your personality or need at a particular time different studies touch different people.
Dena
Jan 03, 2009 Dena rated it liked it
Shelves: god-and-faith
Not sure what happened to the title of this. It is Stepping Up: Psalm of the Ascent by Beth Moore. And it certainly is a book - more reading than a lot of other books out there. Anyway. I enjoyed this one but I have to admit that it isn't one of my favorites. It did come at a very appropriate time in my life as I am learning how to be a better part of our worship team at church and it taught me a great deal about how to step up to the next level in that way. I found that I connected more episodi ...more
Nic
Mar 05, 2014 Nic rated it really liked it
There is lots to learn from this study but there are indications along the way that make you wonder if this got rushed to press. In one chapter, there are abbreviations used that are not explained previously and in about the 3rd day's study it references the staircase, which after searching was found in the very back cover of the book. The reminders are inconsistent to fill out the staircase (one line summaries of each Psalm)so most of us ended up having to go back afterwards and re-read and fil ...more
Barb Madison
Jun 07, 2014 Barb Madison rated it it was amazing
did this study before moving to Texas- powerful!
Angie
Mar 18, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing
Wonderful bible study!
Sacha Calagopi
Jan 02, 2013 Sacha Calagopi rated it it was amazing
We are currently using the book for our bible study and it is awesome! It comes with DVDs where Beth Moore gives very inspiring talks. I love how it taught me to get down on my knees, face down and pray to my King of Kings, my Lord of Lords. This book has a lot of substance too in terms of making you understand the psalms of ascent in its historical context. A definite must-read.

Here is my full review: http://healthyeets.wordpress.com/2013...
Tara
May 04, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
As usual, Beth takes a portion of scripture that most of us would read through and think little about and turns it into an intimate and meaningful journey. The Psalms of Ascent are based on the Jewish pilgrimage back to the temple in Jerusalem from their places of captivity. I completed Moore's study Breaking Free just previous to beginning Stepping Up and the sequence is great. Beth's studies are always intense and emotionally revealing to me. Personal growth and healing is her specialty.
Darcyo
Feb 01, 2014 Darcyo rated it it was amazing
Jessica Savage
Apr 02, 2008 Jessica Savage rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any woman looking to grow closer to God
We just finished up with this study and it was amazing, just as I expected! I learned a lot about Psalms, which I guess I have never studied very much before. I liked the way it was tied to us as normal everyday people and showed us how we too are on a pilgrimage. I am disappointed that it is over but looking forward to our next study! I definitely felt that I grew in my relationship with the Lord during the time we did this study.
Jess
May 19, 2008 Jess rated it it was amazing
an awesome study through part of the psalms. it was so neat to learn more about the feasts of the Lord, and to see some of Jesus' life events through the perspective of those feasts in which these particular psalms were often sung. there's a big focus on pilgrimage, which i think is very relevant to the life of every Christian. this was so good, i hope to go through it again some time soon.
Sherri
Mar 23, 2014 Sherri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible-study
The Psalms of Ascent are based on the Jewish pilgrimage back to the temple in Jerusalem from their places of captivity. She correlates it to our pilgrimage to Zion. Items that struck me are: the feasts, the love God has for singing and dancing, standing together through the pilgrimmage and a host of other topics you don't want to miss. Give this study a whirl if you get a chance.
Carla Still
Nov 01, 2008 Carla Still rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ladies-group
I wanna be like Beth Moore! She is great. She is so graceful and encouraging in this study. As she guides you through the Word, she also shares words of encouragement.

I gained a deeper understanding of my current struggles and how to overcome them through praising God and intimacy with Him. Applying the Psalms to my own life, personalized God's Word in my life.
Holly Renee
Jun 27, 2011 Holly Renee rated it it was amazing
Once more Beth Moore does an awesome job as she takes you through a journey of the Pslams of Ascent. This study is different from her typical Bible studies. You will spend two life changing days on each of the fifteen Psalms of Ascent. You WILL encounter God on this journey, no doubt about it. Prepare yourself for another awesome study that will change your walk with God.
Mary
Mar 18, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
This book made me yearn for the next day to read and delve deeper into the Word. I loved Beth Moore's voice - felt like a genuine friend. This journey stirred my soul and I can say my heart is set on pilgrimage! You will be blessed to read this.
Nicolle
Jul 24, 2012 Nicolle rated it liked it
This one was just okay. Yes, it's nice that it's only a 6-week study, and that makes it short and sweet, but I just didn't latch on to it and say wow, that's awesome. I think part of that has to do with the fact that our group sort of disbanded and I ended finishing it alone, so I'm not sure how much better it would have been if I'd had girls to talk about it with.
Shelley
Oct 16, 2008 Shelley rated it it was amazing
What an amazing journey! This was my first Beth Moore study and it won't be my last. The Psalms of Ascent was very uplifting and a wonderful way to get into God's word. This study is very applicable to life and our journey to Zion. I highly recommend this to anyone who would like to study some of God's words.
Kim Justice
May 12, 2013 Kim Justice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every Women
Recommended to Kim by: Wings of Faith Ladies
Shelves: reviewed
Two Words: OH WOW!

This study by author Beth Moore is an absolutely outstanding walk through the Psalms. I would recommend it to Every Lady!

To read more of my review:
Breath of Life
Dec 09, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Great Bible study that we did at WOW this fall. Very much enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. Remember to sow the seed, not eat it! There were a lot of points I want to go back to and reread, remember and act on. I would love to other Beth Moore studies after doing this one. She's fantastic!
Gillian
Dec 01, 2010 Gillian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People looking for a meaningful bible study
Recommended to Gillian by: Alaina
This is a wonderful bible study! I only did part of it, but the psalms were very meaningful, and hearing about all the feasts mentioned in the bible was really neat! I've never heard so much about them before, and it helped show me what it would really be like to be at one.
Laura Buck
Sep 22, 2008 Laura Buck rated it it was amazing
doing this new beth study at church - it is really intense. it helps you incorporate songs/psalms into your daily life - helps you see that god is with us on the journey and we are where we are at for a reason, and for a season. (this is a poor review - it is good - ok)
Delinda Mauney
Jan 07, 2014 Delinda Mauney rated it it was amazing
Did this as a small group Bible Study. Excellent
Traca
Feb 26, 2008 Traca rated it really liked it
Recommended to Traca by: Women's Bible Study group
Another good Bible study from Beth Moore. This one has not required as much in depth studying as some of the others (Daniel, The Patriarchs), but has been just as revealing. Once again, I'm amazed at the perfection and revelancy of God's word!
Elenareads
Aug 02, 2011 Elenareads rated it it was amazing
This has been my favorite Beth Moore study yet. I was definitely more determined to get something out of it and complete it than the others I've done. Beth is very gifted at teaching and her video's for this one are really funny too.
Lisa Singleterry
Mar 18, 2015 Lisa Singleterry rated it it was amazing
Beth Moore is always amazing! This was a very interesting study looking at some less familiar Psalms. I left the study feeling refreshed and renewed.
Stacey
Apr 24, 2010 Stacey rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, bible-study
Incredibly timely. Down to the day. Their is something about the journey that really ties into our preperations for moving to Indonesia this summer, but more than that, every day God meets me with exactly what I need.
It's not a book - who else disagrees? 3 22 May 28, 2013 07:59AM
  • Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David: Member Book
  • Faithful Abundant True Weekend Retreat and Study Guide: Three Lives Going Deeper Still
  • Ruth: Loss, Love & Legacy - Member Book
  • Me, Myself, & Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover -Bible Study Workbook
  • Praying the Names of God: A Daily Guide
  • Loving God with All Your Mind
  • What Happens When Women Say Yes to God: Experiencing Life in Extraordinary Ways
  • Brave: Honest Questions Women Ask: Member book
  • Seamless: Understanding the Bible as One Complete Story
  • Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven About the Death of a Child
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • Lord, Change My Attitude
  • Stuck Study Guide
  • Seeking Him: Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival

FROM THE AUTHOR'S WEB PAGE: Beth founded Living Proof Ministries in 1994 with the purpose of teaching women how to love and live on God’s Word. She has written numerous books and Bible studies, including Breaking Free, Believing God, and When Godly People Do Ungodly Things, that have been read by women of all ag
More about Beth Moore...