Start by marking “Midlife and the Great Unknown: Finding Courage and Clarity Through Poetry” as Want to Read:
Midlife and the Great Unknown: Finding Courage and Clarity Through Poetry

Midlife and the Great Unknown: Finding Courage and Clarity Through Poetry

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"In the middle of the road of my life I awoke in a dark wood, where the true way was wholly lost." When you find yourself suddenly without bearings, as Dante Alighieri voiced so well centuries ago, where will you look for guidance? Throughout the ages, teaches David Whyte, the language of poetry has held a special power to hazard ourselves boldly at the "fierce edges" of o ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2003 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Midlife and the Great Unknown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midlife and the Great Unknown

Morgan Blackledge
My wife and I just spent a day in the car, listening to this program, driving through the Southern California mountains, wineries and orchards, back and forth from a long, ridiculously gorgeous beach walk with our dogs.

It was essentially my first day off in 16 weeks.

It was a perfect, 75 degree day. The dogs were overjoyed. My wife was running and playing with them. She looked lovely. We were both in good health. The surf was gentle and warm. The sand was flat, clean and firm.

For a moment, it wa
Pat Loughery
I really enjoyed Whyte's commentary and recitation of his own poetry and that of others. It's a bit rambling in nature, hard to follow his structure. But the reflections on becoming your true self and doing work that you can be wholehearted about, those were fantastic. So was the elegy for his Welsh friend. As if I didn't already know that I just need to read Whyte's entire collection, I'm more convinced now.

Two things were slightly annoying:

1. The way Whyte recites poetry includes this odd, dis
Ryan
So much of poetry is in the reading; specifically in the rhythm. David Whyte is clearly talented and has some very interesting ideas and philosophies that resonate quite deeply. However, I could not get past something very little on this audio-book, his repetition of phrasing. Whenever Whyte chooses to place emphasis on something, a verse or line or couplet, he'll stop and repeat that line to place emphasis. I understand what he's trying to do. He's trying to draw our attention to what he believ ...more
C. Jellie
This book was enjoyable and unexpected. Some beautiful poetry and ideas. However, the repetition of lines within the poems was distracting and annoying in the audio version as it stopped the flow of the poetry.
Donna
Loved it!! I listened to the entire CD while walking by the lake one spring morning .... the beauty of the poetry and the author's soothing voice captured my heart and soul. So beautiful! Listened to the CD several times more since that day and continue to enjoy it and be inspired by it as I was the first time.
Donna Fleetwood
This book, this book. My guide through the woods in midlife. I cannot put a date that I finished it because I read it again and again in pieces
Shawn Neville
I have this on Audio from SoundsTrue. It's the one audio-book I always leave on my Ipod.
David Roberts
My first exposure to David Whyte, and I've devoured everything since.
Camille
Wonderful. It made me feel like I could understand and read poetry.
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Jenny Mcintyre
Jenny Mcintyre marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Ronald Coats
Ronald Coats is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Jin Chon
Jin Chon marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Susanne schreibtwas
Susanne schreibtwas marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Barbara Marincel
Barbara Marincel marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Poet David Whyte grew up with a strong, imaginative influence from his Irish mother among the hills and valleys of his father’s Yorkshire. He now makes his home in the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

The author of seven books of poetry and three books of prose, David Whyte holds a degree in Marine Zoology and has traveled extensively, including living and working as a naturalist guide in th
More about David Whyte...
Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity House of Belonging The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship River Flow: New & Selected Poems 1984-2007