Start by marking “Sophia: Goddess of Wisdom: The Divine Feminine From Black Goddess to World-Soul” as Want to Read:
Sophia: Goddess of Wisdom: The Divine Feminine From Black Goddess to World-Soul

Sophia: Goddess of Wisdom: The Divine Feminine From Black Goddess to World-Soul

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This book takes the reader on a journey from pre-Christian spirituality to the present day, seeking out the presence of the Goddess--the divine feminine power of wisdom.
Published July 28th 1997 by Aquarian / Thorsons (first published January 10th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sophia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophia

Meg
Feb 17, 2011 Meg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, pagan
Wow, I don't think I can finish this book. I was all prepared to love it because I think Caitlin Matthews is wonderful, and a friend recommended this book, and I bought it at a great little metaphysical store in Oakland. But (1) I was looking for a book that is actually about Sophia, which this book is mostly not, and (2) I just cannot stand the ridiculous universalizing of all deities into one or two archetypes. I quote (from a section about the Qabala): "Binah, like Demeter, equates to the cre ...more
Mariana
This book would have been a lot better if the author had included non western examples of Sophia, like Changing Woman, or the Brazilian Santa Barbara. The author said that doing this would make the book a lot longer. I hope some day some woman will write a more complete book on Sophia.
Sara
Nov 21, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Struggled through this one many years ago. I wasn't even able to finish it. I tried, I really tried. I thought I just wasn't smart enough, that it was just me. I should get it. I didn't get it. I read sentences that were obscure and I tried to get a handle on it. I still own this. I may re-read this and see if I was just having a rough time or if this is truly a two star book.
Holly
Apr 08, 2009 Holly is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, this book is amazing. I put it down a few months back and have yet to get back to it.
Inara
Title in German:
Sophia - Göttin der Weisheit
Lisa
Aug 16, 2012 Lisa added it
NEW
Delaney
Delaney marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
William Hecht
William Hecht marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
John
John added it
Jan 23, 2016
Dara
Dara marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
sara
sara marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Janice Schange
Janice Schange marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Kitty Quinn
Kitty Quinn marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Mavensnd
Mavensnd marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Michele McArthur
Michele McArthur marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Lisam
Lisam marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Heather Chaney seanor
Heather Chaney seanor marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Gwladys
Gwladys marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Nurul Fadiah
Nurul Fadiah marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2015
Animelove24 Brown
Animelove24 Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
April
April rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Erin Wynn
Erin Wynn marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Gery
Gery rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
NICOLE CREOLE
NICOLE CREOLE marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Caitlín Matthews is a writer, singer and teacher whose ground-breaking work has introduced many to the riches of our western spiritual heritage.

She is acknowledged as a world authority on Celtic Wisdom, the Western Mysteries and the ancestral traditions of Britain and Europe. She is the author of over 50 books including Sophia: Goddess of Wisdom, a study of Divine Feminine in Gnostic, Jewish and
More about Caitlín Matthews...