Start by marking “Trabbel für Henry” as Want to Read:
Trabbel für Henry

Tom Sharpe

Trabbel für Henry

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,385 ratings  ·  68 reviews
First meet young Lockhart Flawse from Flawse Hall on Flawse Fell. Then hear his story of gassing, whipping, blowing up, killing and stuffing - in fact, the everyday tale of a wild child of nature plunged into the genteel mock-Tudor world of surburban Surrey.
Published October 1983 by Rogner & Bernhard (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Trabbel für Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trabbel für Henry

Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit)
I've always loved Tom Sharpe's books and The Throwback is one of the best examples of his work.

Lockhart Flawse (aka The Bastard) left orphaned at birth and illegitimate is raised by his grandfather and taught by private tutors who were specifically informed to avoid sex education. Both grandfather and grandson marry on a cruise ship to a mother and daughter. The mother, a scheming gold digger and the daughter who has been raised on romantic novels and for whom the term 'chaste' is an understatem
Akira Watts
Possibly the most cheerfully cruel thing I've encountered since the live organ donor's sketch in Monty Python's Meaning of Life. The body count is immense, the characters vacillate between vile and moronic, and I cannot see much by way of redeeming social qualities in the work. It is also the funniest book I have ever read and, beneath the humor and bloodshed, it is incredibly well-written. Sharpe has a recognizable and finely honed style, and he is every bit as capable of turning out a beautifu ...more
Sam Reaves
I've enjoyed several of Tom Sharpe's novels and will happily read the next one I come across, but for some reason this one struck me as crueler and less funny than the others. The attraction of his books is their black humor and outlandish comic situations; this one fell short of the standard in my estimation. It is the tale of an illegitimate son raised in isolation by a wealthy and eccentric grandfather in a castle on a Yorkshire moor. When the pair go on a doctor-ordered cruise they meet a fo ...more
Lynn Neeves
by far the funniest book i have ever read and can read again and again and still find it hilarious, particularly the main main character's antics to get rid of his tenants!
Julie
Very few books make me laugh out loud but this one did and it brought tears to my eyes.The best Tom Sharpe novel I have read.
David Anderson
This book served as my introduction the incredible British humour of Tom Sharpe. I was immediately hooked. I don't read too much fiction, but I have read just about every book of Sharpe's and have even re-read them, and will probaby re-read them again. This one combines the mystique of old money, the belligerence of the rebellious, broadsword- carrying highlander (in this case Northumbrian--but there's a bit of Scottish there too), a bit of history, and the awkwardness of a social misfit tryig t ...more
Katia
Ce livre m'a été conseillé par mon frère. C'est vraiment un régal. Je me suis fait plaisir en le découvrant. Dès les premières pages, on s'aperçoit du ton décalé de Tom Sharpe.
J'ai vraiment adoré les personnages.
Lockhart Flawse, le personnage principal, est vraiment spécial mais attachant. Les événements s'enchaînent, tous plus décalés les uns que les autres.
Parfois je me suis demandé comment l'auteur pouvait inventer de tels délires.
Si vous voulez lire des magouilles tordues pour faire fuir vos
Penny Blanch
one of my favourite books ever - it takes you on a hilarious journey that will make you wet your pants laughing so hard!
Yvonne Ferguson
My favourite Tom Sharp :)
Freder
Caustic humor is a long and noble British tradition. What sets Tom Sharpe ahead of the pack is not the depth of his perversion (which is deep enough) or the sheer volume of comic mayhem that he can squeeze into two hundred pages, but that he can make you laugh out loud at the most appalling things, and keep you coming back for more. Part of his secret is that the stories are laced with Awful Truth. It’s hard to conceive that a writer who uses penis mutilation as a recurring motif and whose chara ...more
Richard Barnes
Cathartic is what I'd call this book. Who of us has not raged at inordinate amounts of tax ripped from our hands, or how it is legal for some to evade it but how most of must obey, or the blinding, soul-crushing meaningless of it all???

In The Throwback, we have a modern day hero in Lockhart Flawse who is prepared to not merely get angry, but to smash it all apart.

There is a sick vein of black, black humour running through here - as always with Sharpe, depraved sexuality is exploited, enjoyed an
Anna
While not as widely known as the Wilt books, the Porterhouse novels or his blistering South African satires, this pitch black comedy has a twisted appeal all of its own.

Perhaps best described as 'Kind Hearts and Coronets turned up to eleven', The Throwback is the story of Lockhart Flawse, the illegitimate scion of an old Northumbrian family who seizes his birthright with both hands and disposes of anyone in his path in a number of wickedly funny ways.

It's a very typical Tom Sharpe novel, full of
P.D.R. Lindsay
I didn't read Tom Sharpe when he was new published back in the 70s. I've finally caught up thanks to a collection of books cleared out of the library as too battered and worn! Pity I missed them the first time out. I shall look forward to reading the other titles. This one is hilarious.

Sharpe has a keen ear and eye for the ridiculous. He takes the cliched situation and rewrites it as a really funny story. Here we have the castle in Scotland, the ancient lord of the manor, his bastard grandchild
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
I have become a Tom Sharpe devotee. It is an acquired taste, laughing at the improbable situations and lifelike maniacs who inhabit his works, but one which I now treasure. How I dread the day I realize I have read the last Sharpe comedy.
Richard Beasley
Never sure about this. Some parts as funny as ever, but I'd say the beginning of the end. Before this, high probability of classic, after this, pretty disappointing, especially if uou have read the greats - Riotous Assembly, Wilt, etc.
Deborah Pickstone
I'm not a Tom Sharpe fan, really but this one stood out. Everything about it made me convulse with laughter. Especially the ending......

Read this and you'll never look at a cheese grater the same way again!
Gary
Another funny story from Tom Sharpe. Lots of Benny Hill style humour making it an easy light hearted read. Not the sort of book I read too often but good to mix in between all the thrillers etc. for a change.
Robdguk
started off well. really well actually, but when the farce came into play it went a little too over the top for me.

still a good read, but not up to some of his other books
Alberto Secades naves
Tom Sharpe is amazing.
When I'm starting one of his books I'm with a kid innocence finishing laughing a lot.
The evolution of the main character in the book is brilliant.
Good read!
Wendy
Another really funny, thought-provoking book by Tom Sharpe. I absolutely love his books. I think I've read them all.....
Velozeto
Delirante. Muy raruno.

En español: "El bastardo recalcitrante".
Ensiform
Lockhart Flawse, a bastard of unknown parentage, claims his ancestral Hall and lands through means devious, illegal, and violent. Among his victims are his London tenants, tax-men, and his unbeloved mother-in-law, who keeps the estate unless his father can be found. Black humor doesn't come much more graphic and vindictive than this; it's funny in places, but hardly worthwhile reading. Full of undeveloped premises, utterly lacking in character development, and wholly unrealistic even within its ...more
Malcolm Campbell
A disappointing collection of sketches, contrived and without any depth of character. Actually most of Tom Sharpe's stories have similar properties but in most you get to care about a character, to empathise with them and so to wail, bemoan or cheer for them in their escapades. In the case of Lockhart Flawse I found I just couldn't care.
There's no doubting the skill of Sharpe's writing, in particular his verse when it appears in Scots brogue. But that's all I can commend from this novel. It's Pu
Mikhail Korneenkov
Well, I was fond of Sharpe's Wilt, which was read in '90, and then I've read The Throwback in Russian. And now I wanted to reread it in English. Well, well... From one side, I've read it from A to Z, maybe not all slang was understandable, but it was interesting, what will be the end (you know, I'm a bad guesser...) From other side, I'm not a fan of these matter-of-facts deaths and murders. I cannot imagine the author, who add another touch to already bloody scene... Want to check Wilt again and ...more
Jo
abs loved it...very dark n funny
Tony
Apr 23, 2015 Tony rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the entire world and beyond!
Although ~ it would seem ~ most people would not agree, this was by far the funniest of all Tom Sharpe's. It takes a good while to set the scene but once Lockhart is firmly established in his new situation, the techniques used to remove other characters (trying carefully not to add spoilers) are beyond measure.

Tom Sharpe's ability to steer any situation into the absurd, and let's face it, uncomfortable, is also beyond measure.

An outstanding read, you WILL laugh out loud and check your condoms be
Dayo Johnson
Only Tom Sharpe could conjure up a story like this, great writing and so funny.
Isobel
Standard Tom Sharpe escapism!
Alexandra Jones
I've read this book at least 9 times and I still laugh aloud every single time. Hilarious, one of his best. This is the first Sharpe book I ever read, many years ago, and it opened up a whole new world of humour for me, albeit of a somewhat dated sort. But good laughs never go out of style and I will no doubt re-read it yet again.
A thorough romp with an oddly touching ending.
  • The Book of Q: A Novel
  • The Evil Genius
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • Breakheart Hill
  • The Alternative Hero
  • 'Rommel?' 'Gunner Who?': A Confrontation in the Desert
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • The Thieves Of Heaven
  • Fresh
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Daughter of God
  • Waiting for Godalming
  • Titus Crow, Volume 1: The Burrowers Beneath; The Transition of Titus Crow
  • Lying With the Dead
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • The Bells of Bicetre
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • Harlot's Ghost
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...
Wilt (Wilt, #1) Blott on the Landscape Porterhouse Blue (Porterhouse Blue, #1) Riotous Assembly (Piemburg, #1) The Wilt Alternative (Wilt, #2)