Start by marking “Trabbel für Henry” as Want to Read:
Trabbel für Henry

Tom Sharpe

Trabbel für Henry

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,650 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
First meet young Lockhart Flawse from Flawse Hall on Flawse Fell. Then hear his story of gassing, whipping, blowing up, killing and stuffing - in fact, the everyday tale of a wild child of nature plunged into the genteel mock-Tudor world of surburban Surrey.
Published October 1983 by Rogner & Bernhard (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Trabbel für Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trabbel für Henry

Akira Watts
Aug 14, 2016 Akira Watts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the most cheerfully cruel thing I've encountered since the live organ donor sketch in Monty Python's Meaning of Life. The body count is immense, the characters vacillate between vile and moronic, and I cannot see much by way of redeeming social qualities in the work. It is also the funniest book I have ever read and, beneath the humor and bloodshed, it is incredibly well-written. Sharpe has a recognizable and finely honed style, and he is every bit as capable of turning out a beautiful ...more
Sam Reaves
I've enjoyed several of Tom Sharpe's novels and will happily read the next one I come across, but for some reason this one struck me as crueler and less funny than the others. The attraction of his books is their black humor and outlandish comic situations; this one fell short of the standard in my estimation. It is the tale of an illegitimate son raised in isolation by a wealthy and eccentric grandfather in a castle on a Yorkshire moor. When the pair go on a doctor-ordered cruise they meet a fo ...more
Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo)
I've always loved Tom Sharpe's books and The Throwback is one of the best examples of his work.

Lockhart Flawse (aka The Bastard) left orphaned at birth and illegitimate is raised by his grandfather and taught by private tutors who were specifically informed to avoid sex education. Both grandfather and grandson marry on a cruise ship to a mother and daughter. The mother, a scheming gold digger and the daughter who has been raised on romantic novels and for whom the term 'chaste' is an understatem
Lynn Neeves
Jul 17, 2012 Lynn Neeves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by far the funniest book i have ever read and can read again and again and still find it hilarious, particularly the main main character's antics to get rid of his tenants!
Julie
May 22, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very few books make me laugh out loud but this one did and it brought tears to my eyes.The best Tom Sharpe novel I have read.
David Anderson
Nov 04, 2012 David Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book served as my introduction the incredible British humour of Tom Sharpe. I was immediately hooked. I don't read too much fiction, but I have read just about every book of Sharpe's and have even re-read them, and will probaby re-read them again. This one combines the mystique of old money, the belligerence of the rebellious, broadsword- carrying highlander (in this case Northumbrian--but there's a bit of Scottish there too), a bit of history, and the awkwardness of a social misfit tryig t ...more
Katia
Ce livre m'a été conseillé par mon frère. C'est vraiment un régal. Je me suis fait plaisir en le découvrant. Dès les premières pages, on s'aperçoit du ton décalé de Tom Sharpe.
J'ai vraiment adoré les personnages.
Lockhart Flawse, le personnage principal, est vraiment spécial mais attachant. Les événements s'enchaînent, tous plus décalés les uns que les autres.
Parfois je me suis demandé comment l'auteur pouvait inventer de tels délires.
Si vous voulez lire des magouilles tordues pour faire fuir vos
Manuel Antão
Jul 30, 2016 Manuel Antão rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Northumbrian Humour: "The Throwback" by Tom Sharpe Far, far away, in a distant magical land where only Sharpe’s books existed....

Manuel and Ana were entering the room.

"Hay Ana" said Manuel
Ana was looking unhappy though.
"Bad news Manuel. We are broke"
"Hu? But after our last adventure we were rich"
"Yes, but after paying the taxes we are broke. In fact, we owe money now because taxes are high for rich people"
"Ow. Darn it.What will we do?" said Manuel to Ana.
"We need to make a lot of money to pay of
Daniel Vidal
Dec 15, 2015 Daniel Vidal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: goodreads@aedit.com
Creía haber leído todo/casi todo de Tom Sharpe... y me encontré en la librería con este ejemplar, dudando si formaba parte o no de mi librería. Para más inri, toda mi colección Sharpiana se la había dejado a un buen amigo y no podía comprobarlo, así que lo compré y aunque no puedo estar seguro, creo que era un "falti" ya solventado. Comprobaremos este extremo y, de tenerlo duplicado, será un buen regalo para alguien.

Como en el resto de casos, ágil lectura, y un humor muy propio del autor, por lo
Usfromdk
Jul 25, 2016 Usfromdk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Close to three stars, but I figured in the end that it did deserve the fourth one as well (it was never anywhere near a five star rating). I particularly liked the way the ...bastard... approached the problem of how to get rid of the tenants living in Sandicott Crescent. As usual Sharpe goes a bit too far for comfort (in my opinion), in the sense that it he makes it really unnecessarily hard to maintain a willing suspension of disbelief, but one thing that helped (and probably in the final analy ...more
David Taylor
Jul 03, 2016 David Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The endearing tale of Lockhart Flawse, raised in isolation on the fells by his grandfather, and oblivious to all matters relating to women or sex. When he meets the lovely Jessica his world changes, and so do the lives of many of his pending victims. As long as you are OK with the Englishness of the style, this is one of the funniest books you will ever read. WARNING - Do not read this book in public or whilst you are eating. Years later I am still laughing about this book. It is a comedy treasu ...more
Penny Blanch
Sep 25, 2011 Penny Blanch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
one of my favourite books ever - it takes you on a hilarious journey that will make you wet your pants laughing so hard!
Yvonne
Mar 05, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite Tom Sharp :)
Freder
Oct 10, 2009 Freder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caustic humor is a long and noble British tradition. What sets Tom Sharpe ahead of the pack is not the depth of his perversion (which is deep enough) or the sheer volume of comic mayhem that he can squeeze into two hundred pages, but that he can make you laugh out loud at the most appalling things, and keep you coming back for more. Part of his secret is that the stories are laced with Awful Truth. It’s hard to conceive that a writer who uses penis mutilation as a recurring motif and whose chara ...more
Richard Barnes
Oct 10, 2013 Richard Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathartic is what I'd call this book. Who of us has not raged at inordinate amounts of tax ripped from our hands, or how it is legal for some to evade it but how most of must obey, or the blinding, soul-crushing meaningless of it all???

In The Throwback, we have a modern day hero in Lockhart Flawse who is prepared to not merely get angry, but to smash it all apart.

There is a sick vein of black, black humour running through here - as always with Sharpe, depraved sexuality is exploited, enjoyed an
Anna
Aug 14, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While not as widely known as the Wilt books, the Porterhouse novels or his blistering South African satires, this pitch black comedy has a twisted appeal all of its own.

Perhaps best described as 'Kind Hearts and Coronets turned up to eleven', The Throwback is the story of Lockhart Flawse, the illegitimate scion of an old Northumbrian family who seizes his birthright with both hands and disposes of anyone in his path in a number of wickedly funny ways.

It's a very typical Tom Sharpe novel, full of
Bodicainking
Tl:Dr: Man's condom is "spiked" with abrasive chemical, resulting in the in extremis use of a cheese grater to remove the burning dissolving latex from his member. Prostitute he is with is unaware of the chemical and thinks he's had a sudden last minute conversion away from paying for her, so tries to stop him.

Hilarious, carefully built up absurd and lewd fun.
P.D.R. Lindsay
May 26, 2013 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I didn't read Tom Sharpe when he was new published back in the 70s. I've finally caught up thanks to a collection of books cleared out of the library as too battered and worn! Pity I missed them the first time out. I shall look forward to reading the other titles. This one is hilarious.

Sharpe has a keen ear and eye for the ridiculous. He takes the cliched situation and rewrites it as a really funny story. Here we have the castle in Scotland, the ancient lord of the manor, his bastard grandchild
Stuart
Sep 05, 2016 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'born in a ditch, die in a dyke'

'pot shooting sheep'

...the lesbian nuns cut no ice with the mother superior'

'...pasteurised by permissive parents and progressive teachers'

'...snapped like a crocodile with St.Vitus' dance'

'all is fair in love and war and tax evasion'

'several sheep went immediately insane'
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
I have become a Tom Sharpe devotee. It is an acquired taste, laughing at the improbable situations and lifelike maniacs who inhabit his works, but one which I now treasure. How I dread the day I realize I have read the last Sharpe comedy.
Richard Beasley
Never sure about this. Some parts as funny as ever, but I'd say the beginning of the end. Before this, high probability of classic, after this, pretty disappointing, especially if uou have read the greats - Riotous Assembly, Wilt, etc.
Deborah Pickstone
I'm not a Tom Sharpe fan, really but this one stood out. Everything about it made me convulse with laughter. Especially the ending......

Read this and you'll never look at a cheese grater the same way again!
Gary
Dec 18, 2014 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another funny story from Tom Sharpe. Lots of Benny Hill style humour making it an easy light hearted read. Not the sort of book I read too often but good to mix in between all the thrillers etc. for a change.
Kristian Vaksdal
Funniest book I've ever read. At times I was laughing uncontrollably, waking up room mates in the process, since I was reading into the night, couldn't put the book down.
Robdguk
started off well. really well actually, but when the farce came into play it went a little too over the top for me.

still a good read, but not up to some of his other books
Alberto Secades naves
Tom Sharpe is amazing.
When I'm starting one of his books I'm with a kid innocence finishing laughing a lot.
The evolution of the main character in the book is brilliant.
Good read!
Wendy
Jan 15, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another really funny, thought-provoking book by Tom Sharpe. I absolutely love his books. I think I've read them all.....
Brett
Nov 17, 2015 Brett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Starts off quite funny, but gets too ridiculous, even for a Tom Sharpe book.
Cocaine
Jan 27, 2016 Cocaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny that I laughed out loud whilst reading it on a crowded train.
Velozeto
Apr 07, 2014 Velozeto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delirante. Muy raruno.

En español: "El bastardo recalcitrante".
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • The Evil Genius
  • The Book of Q
  • The Burrowers Beneath
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • The Alternative Hero
  • The Thieves Of Heaven
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Daughter of God
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Waiting for Godalming
  • 'Rommel?' 'Gunner Who?': A Confrontation in the Desert
  • Web
  • Lying With the Dead
  • The Bells of Bicetre
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • Vinyl Cafe Unplugged (Vinyl Cafe, #3)
  • Reuben, Reuben
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...