Start by marking “Something To Remember Me By: Three Tales” as Want to Read:
Something To Remember Me By: Three Tales

Something To Remember Me By: Three Tales

A trio of short works by the Nobel laureate and "greatest writer of American prose of the twentieth century" (James Wood, The New Republic)

While Saul Bellow is known best for his longer fiction in award-winning novels such as The Adventures of Augie March and Herzog, Something to Remember Me By will draw new readers to Bellow as it showcases his extraordinary gift for crea
Published October 1st 1991 by Viking Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Something To Remember Me By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something To Remember Me By

Vishy
Jul 22, 2015 Vishy rated it liked it
Introduction by Bellow as excellent. There were some beautiful passages in the stories. The title story reminded me of the Martin Scorsese movie 'After Dark'. But overall, I was a little bit disappointed. I wasn't interested in reading about the travails of rich New Yorkers and their love affairs. I think I might have liked it when I was younger. I want to give Saul Bellow another try though - I want to read one of his bigger books, probably 'The Adventures of Augie March'.
Liana Lau
Jul 04, 2014 Liana Lau rated it it was amazing
5 stars for The Theft, 3 stars for The Bellarosa Connection & Something To Remember Me By.

I am slightly irked by his needless references to Oriental characteristics (also seen in The Actual) and characters who are inexplicably powerful and wealthy, generally after having pursued the American dream. The first-person stories grate on me the most because of the boastful confidence in every interaction. The Theft is written third-person, and it's a lot easier to manage Clara's and Teddy's force
katy desmond
Oct 12, 2009 katy desmond rated it it was amazing
Three truly beautiful novellas. Cleverly written. Many it's a lusting for New York in the Autumn (because Bellow always feels like New York even when his work isn't set there), but these have turned me onto a writer I've never given much attention before.
Manda
Jan 05, 2014 Manda rated it liked it
Yeah, the prose was beautiful, the language was poetic and the characters were lively and multi-faceted. I wanted to love this, but none of the stories really blew my skirt up.

They were fine, really. Nothing spectacular though.
Dottie
One of my favorites of one of my favorites -- this is a bit melancholic and it seemed to me to be nearly perfect as I recall. Maybe I'll go back to it just to be sure -- one day but not now.
incipit mania
Incipit

Quando stanno succedendo troppe cose ...
L'iniziazione incipitmania.com
Helene
Oct 10, 2012 Helene rated it it was amazing
Read the short story "Something To Remember Me By" for class and it is really good. Very interesting.
Liron
Jul 01, 2008 Liron rated it really liked it
Bellow creates amazing characters, capturing intimate thoughts and persona's that bring them intimately, almost uncomfortably to life.
Robb
Robb rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2009
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Christina Gimlin
Christina Gimlin rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Nayantara
Nayantara rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Angus Macdonald
Angus Macdonald rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
gooner
gooner rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Jenson Davis
Jenson Davis rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Lori Jacobsen
Lori Jacobsen rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Michael Smith
Michael Smith rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Liliane
Liliane rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
greg smith
greg smith rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Ilenia Yang
Ilenia Yang rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Geetanjali
Geetanjali rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
The June Bug
The June Bug rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2010
Robandlynn
Robandlynn rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Nisha
Nisha rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Tina Cadwell
Tina Cadwell rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Ella Faktorovich
Ella Faktorovich rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Henry Griffin
Henry Griffin rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2010
Maria Letti
Maria Letti rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Tunc
  • The Complete Novels of Jane Austen, Vol 1: Sense & Sensibility/Pride & Prejudice/Mansfield Park
  • The Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Bluebeard
  • The Idiot & The Possessed
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • A Piece of My Heart
  • Answer as a Man
  • The Bleeding Heart
  • City Life
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • Girl, 20
  • The Complete Stories
  • Inside Mr. Enderby
  • A Sentimental Education
  • The Counterfeiter and Other Stories
  • Touch
  • Complete Works, Vol. 4: Old Times / No Man's Land / Betrayal / Monologue / Family Voices
Saul Bellow was born in Lachine, Quebec, a suburb of Montreal, in 1915, and was raised in Chicago. He attended the University of Chicago, received his Bachelor's degree from Northwestern University in 1937, with honors in sociology and anthropology, did graduate work at the University of Wisconsin, and served in the Merchant Marine during World War II.

Mr. Bellow's first novel, Dangling Man, was pu
More about Saul Bellow...