Start by marking “Tatiana Comes To America: An Ellis Island Story (Doll Hospital, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tatiana Comes To America: An Ellis Island Story (Doll Hospital, #1)

Tatiana Comes To America: An Ellis Island Story (Doll Hospital #1)

Sisters Lila and Rose, ages 8 and 10, are spending the year with their eccentric grandmother (who runs a doll hospital) while their parents are working out of the country. The girls are not pleased with this arrangement, but they begin to enjoy themselves when they learn that their grandmother has a special power to "read" the lives of the dolls she is working to restore. ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Tatiana Comes To America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tatiana Comes To America

Lisa Overberg
Oct 26, 2013 Lisa Overberg rated it it was amazing
Lila and Rose move to a new town to live with their grandmother who runs a doll hospital. She has an uncanny power to read the lives of the dolls she is working to restore. Ella and Tatiana (the doll) became separated from their family friends on the boat over to America, escaping from the Russian Pogroms, because they arrived alone they were placed in a children's detention center until Ella's father could travel from Russia to meet them. Ella gives Tatiana to a Romanian girl she befriended in ...more
Lauren
Feb 06, 2015 Lauren rated it it was amazing
For a children's book, this was pretty great! Although the idea of parents leaving their children for a whole year to focus on their own careers seems a little selfish, but I suppose that's not the main part to focus on. I enjoyed the rest, though.
Angela Sollom
Sep 18, 2016 Angela Sollom rated it it was amazing
Kayla says this is a 5 star book!
Natalie
Jun 23, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, kid-books
I read this looking for books for Sam. I think it's a little too old for her (too many details to wade through about doll petticoats and stuff) but the story was fun and the premise, a historic story told through a doll's experiences, is really cool. I like books that sneak history in. I'll probably try to remember to get this out for her in a year or so.
Tiffany
This was one of my most favorite books when I was younger. I'm finding, after rereading it as an adult, that I still love it so much. :)
Kellie
Jul 20, 2008 Kellie rated it really liked it
This was a great little read - very fun for girls and introduces immigration and Ellis Island.
Tori Rykaczewski
The very first novel I ever read and I have been in love with reading ever since.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014, stars-3
I liked it. ...more
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Kristi
Kristi added it
Jul 26, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Kate Fitzgerald
Kate Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Misterka Homeschool
Misterka Homeschool rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Lee Huntington
Lee Huntington marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Michaela
Michaela rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Katelyn_rose
Katelyn_rose marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jun 02, 2016
Savannah
Savannah rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Meredith Pocius
Meredith Pocius marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Janie
Janie rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Jennifer Long
Jennifer Long rated it did not like it
May 07, 2016
Darlene Lopez
Darlene Lopez marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
April
April added it
Mar 15, 2016
Zane
Zane added it
May 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Children's book author: MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...

Doll Hospital (6 books)
  • Goldie's Fortune: A Story of the Great Depression (Doll Hospital, #2)
  • Glory's Freedom: A Story Of The Underground Railroad (Doll Hospital, #3)
  • Saving Marissa (Doll Hospital, #4)
  • Danielle's Dollhouse Wish (Doll Hospital, #5)
  • Charlotte's Choice (Doll Hospital, #6)