Start by marking “The Footprints of God” as Want to Read:

The Footprints of God

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  7,126 Ratings  ·  570 Reviews
The Footprints of God: A Novel
Mass Market Paperback, 546 pages
Published December 26th 2007 by Pocket Star (first published August 12th 2003)

Jeff
The Johnny Depp* movie Transcendence suspiciously mirrors the plot of this book - Nerd scientist puts his consciousness into a super-computer; bad stuff happens. I saw no mention of this book as the source material anywhere in connection to the movie. I guess this is a good thing because this book is horrible, but couldn't they at least steal a better storyline?

I generally don’t go by review blurbs on the cover of books, but I noticed (after I bought the book) that no reviewer had anything nice
hllf
May 02, 2009 hllf rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A fun read but lacking in many aspects. Here is a breakdown of my rating:

Enjoyability: 3.5
Re-Readability: 2
Character Development: 2
Complexity: 2.5
Writing Style: 3
Believability: 1.5
Overall: 2.42

This book is a cross between Dan Brown's Digital Fortress and David Baldacci's Simple Genius, with possibly a bit of the Star Trek Episode "Spock's Brain" thrown in. While I considered the book a rather enjoyable read, it lacked considerably in the areas of character development, plot originality, and espe
Tim
Apr 24, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing
As an undergraduate student in Computer/Cognitive Science, I often wrestle with questions of ethics and unforeseen consequences concerning artificial intelligence.

This book has a thrilling and thought provoking narrative. Through the last half, it wanders off course quite a bit from where I thought Iles should have lead. This was disappointing, but overall, I enjoyed the entire story and his interesting view of how a truly intelligent artificial life form could be created.
David
May 31, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a programmer by trade. I'm happy to report that for a book with a computer at its core, I found Footprints of God pleasant to read. Unfortunately, authors often mangle even the most basic aspects of computing (which I have a hard time ignoring). But Iles kept things firmly in the theoretical and therefore avoided too many cringe-worthy mistakes.

There was one other red flag: I found myself raising an eyebrow every time the main character would experience a religious vision. The visions seemed
Scott Rhee

I've read several Greg Iles books and enjoyed them tremendously. He is a solidly entertaining writer of suspense thrillers, and he is not afraid to tackle some interesting subjects. "Footprints of God", while not my favorite of Iles, is nevertheless an interesting sci-fi thriller that delves into some pretty controversial subjects: The Big Bang Theory vs. Creationism and artificial intelligence. Basically, scientists in a top-secret facility have created an A.I. supercomputer that begins to have
Irina slutsky
since i'm always joking about getting a brain shunt so i dont have to use a laptop anymore, this was right up my alley. i found the god stuff to be a little much, like did he really have to think he was god? i think we could have gotten all that stuff w/o rereading the new testament as written by giles. i did spend a few days thinking about the singularity so that means it wasnt all bad. THE DUMBEST part is as usual the forced love story and how the "number one jungian phychiatrist in the world" ...more
Mike
Dec 19, 2007 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We were introduced to Greg Iles when we attended one of my partners weddings in Natchez, MS where he lives. His books about the area are promoted on most tours and I've liked many of them but that is another story.

I found this book a bit of a bore. It is apparently a rationalization of an inability to come to grips with a Christian upbringing, the visible evidence of death ending the existence of the conscious mind, forever, and the existence of an almost universal belief in some kind of "god" a
Almeta
While reading this book your beliefs will be challenged. The debate might sway you, then turn you around again.

The likeability of the hero is dubious, then he is an okay guy, then he's not, then he is, then...well just what SHOULD you think?

Extend your checkout days at the library. This will give you time to think things over, maybe discuss it with a loved one (or better yet a stranger..you don't want your loved ones to know what you are contemplating yet).
David Seller
Jun 03, 2013 David Seller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a jolly good read, a pulsating narrative, the characters genuuine and poignant. The threat a really fascinating concept which the doctor and his phsychologist have to neutralise while battling their own emotional issues.
Marianne
Feb 22, 2017 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting that I started this book fully expecting it to be a less-than-exciting read (but I seldom start a book and don't finish it, because I know what the author went through to write it), based on a number of other reviews I'd read. Bad science, implausible plot, flat characters, fairly typical complaints. And granted, I had a hard time getting into this one. It took me two weeks to get through the first three chapters.

After that, however, something kicked in, I willingly suspended my disb
Danielle Tremblay
This book can be categorized in many genres. It most certainly is a thriller, with the tension pegged high. It could be considered a "road novel", since the MCs travel a lot by car or plane from the beginning to the end of the story. It's crime fiction to be sure since crimes are commissioned and performed, yet there is a healthy dollop of science fiction. And there is a little mysticism and romance, just for the hell of it.

Iles has an amazing knack for maintaining suspense and breathlessness in
Emanuela
Riporto l'opinione su questo libro pubblicata sulla bacheca di facebook di una amico:

"[Poi discutiamo di mercato digitale, editori e metadati] Questo è uno dei romanzi più inquietanti e complessi che abbia letto negli ultimi 10 anni. Io ci ho scritto sopra un paio di pagine in uno dei miei libri, ma tu, che sei l'editore, almeno raccontare nella sinossi di cosa parla? :)"

Comincio dal fondo. Questa la sinossi della versione italiana: "Un presente fatto di morti misteriose, un segreto che affonda
StarMan
POINTS for: German assassins with scars, nuclear weapons, presidential danger, (view spoiler)

DEMERITS FOR: so-so characters, unbelievable escapes, and an A.I. that (view spoiler). Or does it?

I'm an Iles fan, and it's nice to see he can write about something besides Mississippi lawyers in weird predicaments. The Footprints of God (T
Toni Osborne
Project Trinity involves using MRI technology to copy brain scans of six scientists. The ethics in such an undertaking are so complex that the US president appoints Dr David Tennant ethicist to work on the project. When the six subjects develop alarming symptoms and one of them dies suddenly and unexpectedly, David suspects murder and knows who is responsible. Fearing for his life and needing help he turns to Dr Rachel Weiss, his psychiatrist, who has been treating him for narcolepsy accompanied ...more
Erik Knutila
Jodi
Jan 17, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that started me reading anything I could written by Greg Iles, I was instantly hooked. Although the title may make the potential reader think it is a religious book it really is not. The book brings the possibility of ethics that a corporate run scientific experiment can bring to mankind.

At the heart of the controversy is a research laboratory tasked to create the holy grail of the twenty-first century; a supercomputer that harnesses the power of the human mind. Dr. Peter Tennan
Uyên Khôi
Apr 08, 2016 Uyên Khôi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Nhìn cái tên thì thấy nó có vẻ là về tôn giáo, nhưng mà thật ra đây là một cuốn trinh thám cơ ạ.

Đây là một cuốn sách có phần mở đầu khá tốt, từng lời kể của David, đem theo bao bí mật cứ cuốn mình theo câu chuyện. Một dự án tưởng chừng không thể: máy tính có khả năng suy nghĩ như con người và có thể không chế toàn bộ hệ thống an ninh mạng trên thế giới, có lẽ đang ngày càng trở thành hiện thực. Một mối nguy hại ngày càng lớn đè nặng lên tất cả các quốc gia. Cuộc rượt đuổi từ thành thị đến nơi sa
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Al Gore.
Shelves: fiction
Somewhere out there, right now, the NSA, the CIA and a top secret group of quantum physicists are trying to build a computer that can hold a human soul and talk to God. At least, that's the premise of Greg Iles' The Footprints of God. It's not as kooky as it sounds. Pursued by the NSA and the military, with only his psychiatrist to help, a professor must prove his sanity and unravel the mystery of his complicated nightmares, a side-effect of his work, all while trying to stop a supercomputer wit ...more
Michael Ben Silva III
I read this book at some point in junior high school, and decided to try to track it down here. Unfortunately, what I'd remembered from the plot seems to have been mixed with another apocalyptic semi-religious thriller paperback I read around the same time, Deep Fathom. If you're going to read this book, I recommend reading Deep Fathom at the same time, so 15 years from now you may look back fondly on this perplexing thriller lovechild.
Barb
Aug 19, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Interesting theories/ideas. I don't agree with the ending theory/hypothesis. But it is a novel after all. However, just reading the book makes you think about things, and dig deeper into science and theology. Plus the book remains with you after you have finished reading it. These are all things a really good book should do!
Joe Stamber
A decent thriller about a secret project to create a technological "weapon" that visits a few idealogical issues along the way. It's generally an entertaining read, although I did find that it sagged in places. There were sections that seemed to drag on longer than necessary and I didn't feel that compulsion to keep reading until the climax approached. Worth a read if this genre is your thing.
Carl Mikael Blomkvist
Aprendí tres cosas con este libro:
1.- Un libro no llega al lector por error. Aunque al principio así lo parezca.
2.- No se nada sobre la narcolepsia.
3.- La chica que me vendió este libro por equivocación se merece un premio.
Nancy Steinle gummel
The Footprints of God. By Greg Iles has a different premise. It has an interesting point of view. I liked this book is very long a.d tedious. It should be shortened. It portrays the
military as evil puppets. They are. Super computer manifests itself as the personna of an anti democratic genius .
Andrea L.
This was purchased to read on a plane ride... as I had forgotten reading material. It was suspenseful (as far as thriller fiction goes) but a bit too violent for me. The ending leaves much to be desired as well... Not a recommended book.
Kawai
Mar 25, 2008 Kawai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time. Similar to the DaVinci Code, but more computer nerdy. All the questioning of sexism but puts it into the masculine & feminine perspectives...when beach read meets social-emotional inquiry.
Kelli
Jul 31, 2009 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this author before and found his books to be appropriately suspenseful. This book uses way too many words, but the underlying story was intriquing. Although I was lulled to sleep by all the unnecessary text, I had to finish the book to unravel the mystery
Chris
Dec 18, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book combining all my favorite elements: murder, science, religion and medicine! Very well-written and a good ride throughout with constant twists and turns that make any fiction book into a great fiction book!
David
May 10, 2011 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iles can move from WWII to the New South to mysteries to near-future science fiction, which is what you have here. It was provocative with its theological aspect.
smboro
Jun 08, 2010 smboro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
IT + humanism + suspense + LoviDovi = A Great Book
Sony Sanjaya
Jul 09, 2015 Sony Sanjaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
mirip alur khas Dan Brown
Mysteries & Crime...: BOTM May/June 2017 - Dark matter 19 125 Jun 24, 2017 08:54AM
  • Found Money
  • The Last Victim
  • God's Spy
  • The Exile
  • Denial (Frank Clevenger, #1)
  • Bird's-Eye View
  • Guilt (Abe Glitsky, #2)
  • Emerald Decision
  • The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary
  • The Siege (Alan Gregory, #17)
  • Siberian Treasure
  • Fade
  • No Witnesses (Boldt/Matthews, #3)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Straight into Darkness
  • The Sign
  • Hunting Season
  • The Butcher's Theater
19696
Greg Iles was born in Germany in 1960. He grew up in Natchez, Mississippi, and graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1983. He was active in a band called "Frankly Scarlet", but quit after realizing that the touring lifestyle was not conducive with his family life. Once no longer busy with the band, he turned his attention to writing.

Greg's novels have been translated into various languag
More about Greg Iles...

“Any person who wants to govern the world is by definition the wrong person to do it.” 51 likes
“He always reminded us that every atom in our bodies was once part of a distant star that had exploded. He talked about how evolution moves from simplicity toward complexity, and how human intelligence is the highest known expression of evolution. I remember him telling me that a frog's brain is much more complex than a star. He saw human consciousness as the first neuron of the universe coming to life and awareness. A spark in the darkness, waiting to spread to fire.” 8 likes