Start by marking “The Footprints of God” as Want to Read:
The Footprints of God

The Footprints of God

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  6,121 ratings  ·  481 reviews
In this "alarming, believable, and utterly consuming" (Dan Brown) New York Times bestseller, Greg Iles probes the terrifying possibility that the next phase of human evolution may not be human at all....

Trinity. The government's top-secret supercomputer is an intelligence beyond comprehension -- and a nightmare beyond humanity's worst fears. At the heart of a maelstrom o
Published December 26th 2007 by Pocket Star (first published August 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Footprints of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Footprints of God

Jeff
The Johnny Depp* movie Transcendence suspiciously mirrors the plot of this book - Nerd scientist puts his consciousness into a super-computer; bad stuff happens. I saw no mention of this book as the source material anywhere in connection to the movie. I guess this is a good thing because this book is horrible, but couldn't they at least steal a better storyline?

I generally don’t go by review blurbs on the cover of books, but I noticed (after I bought the book) that no reviewer had anything nice
hllf
A fun read but lacking in many aspects. Here is a breakdown of my rating:

Enjoyability: 3.5
Re-Readability: 2
Character Development: 2
Complexity: 2.5
Writing Style: 3
Believability: 1.5
Overall: 2.42

This book is a cross between Dan Brown's Digital Fortress and David Baldacci's Simple Genius, with possibly a bit of the Star Trek Episode "Spock's Brain" thrown in. While I considered the book a rather enjoyable read, it lacked considerably in the areas of character development, plot originality, and espe
Tim
As an undergraduate student in Computer/Cognitive Science, I often wrestle with questions of ethics and unforeseen consequences concerning artificial intelligence.

This book has a thrilling and thought provoking narrative. Through the last half, it wanders off course quite a bit from where I thought Iles should have lead. This was disappointing, but overall, I enjoyed the entire story and his interesting view of how a truly intelligent artificial life form could be created.
David
I'm a programmer by trade. I'm happy to report that for a book with a computer at its core, I found Footprints of God pleasant to read. Unfortunately, authors often mangle even the most basic aspects of computing (which I have a hard time ignoring). But Iles kept things firmly in the theoretical and therefore avoided too many cringe-worthy mistakes.

There was one other red flag: I found myself raising an eyebrow every time the main character would experience a religious vision. The visions seemed
Scott Rhee

I've read several Greg Iles books and enjoyed them tremendously. He is a solidly entertaining writer of suspense thrillers, and he is not afraid to tackle some interesting subjects. "Footprints of God", while not my favorite of Iles, is nevertheless an interesting sci-fi thriller that delves into some pretty controversial subjects: The Big Bang Theory vs. Creationism and artificial intelligence. Basically, scientists in a top-secret facility have created an A.I. supercomputer that begins to have
Irina slutsky
since i'm always joking about getting a brain shunt so i dont have to use a laptop anymore, this was right up my alley. i found the god stuff to be a little much, like did he really have to think he was god? i think we could have gotten all that stuff w/o rereading the new testament as written by giles. i did spend a few days thinking about the singularity so that means it wasnt all bad. THE DUMBEST part is as usual the forced love story and how the "number one jungian phychiatrist in the world" ...more
Almeta
While reading this book your beliefs will be challenged. The debate might sway you, then turn you around again.

The likeability of the hero is dubious, then he is an okay guy, then he's not, then he is, then...well just what SHOULD you think?

Extend your checkout days at the library. This will give you time to think things over, maybe discuss it with a loved one (or better yet a stranger..you don't want your loved ones to know what you are contemplating yet).
David Seller
This was a jolly good read, a pulsating narrative, the characters genuuine and poignant. The threat a really fascinating concept which the doctor and his phsychologist have to neutralise while battling their own emotional issues.
Erik Knutila
Emanuela
Riporto l'opinione su questo libro pubblicata sulla bacheca di facebook di una amico:

"[Poi discutiamo di mercato digitale, editori e metadati] Questo è uno dei romanzi più inquietanti e complessi che abbia letto negli ultimi 10 anni. Io ci ho scritto sopra un paio di pagine in uno dei miei libri, ma tu, che sei l'editore, almeno raccontare nella sinossi di cosa parla? :)"

Comincio dal fondo. Questa la sinossi della versione italiana: "Un presente fatto di morti misteriose, un segreto che affonda
Jodi
This is the book that started me reading anything I could written by Greg Iles, I was instantly hooked. Although the title may make the potential reader think it is a religious book it really is not. The book brings the possibility of ethics that a corporate run scientific experiment can bring to mankind.

At the heart of the controversy is a research laboratory tasked to create the holy grail of the twenty-first century; a supercomputer that harnesses the power of the human mind. Dr. Peter Tennan
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Al Gore.
Shelves: fiction
Somewhere out there, right now, the NSA, the CIA and a top secret group of quantum physicists are trying to build a computer that can hold a human soul and talk to God. At least, that's the premise of Greg Iles' The Footprints of God. It's not as kooky as it sounds. Pursued by the NSA and the military, with only his psychiatrist to help, a professor must prove his sanity and unravel the mystery of his complicated nightmares, a side-effect of his work, all while trying to stop a supercomputer wit ...more
Mike
We were introduced to Greg Iles when we attended one of my partners weddings in Natchez, MS where he lives. His books about the area are promoted on most tours and I've liked many of them but that is another story.

I found this book a bit of a bore. It is apparently a rationalization of an inability to come to grips with a Christian upbringing, the visible evidence of death ending the existence of the conscious mind, forever, and the existence of an almost universal belief in some kind of "god" a
Sandra (Page by Page)
For me this is a solid 4 out of 5 stars. I always love a good old thriller, you know, racing with time, death treathening things, a bit romance here and there, and cool stuff like that. This is a good reading experience for me. I got my dose of sci-fi. It's been too long since my last sci-fi. Anyway, if you like Dan Brown's stuff, yes yes yes you should give this book a try, but try to not comparing them. Greg Iles' has his own amazing complex story line, the one you will eagerly reveal page by ...more
Sony Sanjaya
mirip alur khas Dan Brown
Giuegi
è la prima volta che mi trovo a recensire un libro. partiamo dalla principale domanda che coinvolge il protagonista, che è la domanda universale per eccellenza: chi siamo? da dove veniamo? dove andiamo?
presente, passato e futuro racchiuse in un quesito al quale nessuno puo dare una risposta valida. La paura della morte, che annulerebbe ogni senso della vita umana è per certi versi addolcita dal concetto di qualcosa di onnipotente che può sfuggire ad ogni legge della natura: dio.
Lo stesso Dio ch
Barb
I loved this book! Interesting theories/ideas. I don't agree with the ending theory/hypothesis. But it is a novel after all. However, just reading the book makes you think about things, and dig deeper into science and theology. Plus the book remains with you after you have finished reading it. These are all things a really good book should do!
Bob Duncomb
Men whose science is their God want to make us eternal by getting to "The Singularity" (see Ray Kurzweil who was a source for this book). The fictional story in this book has a scientist who, through quantum computing, has finally figured out a way to map a human brain (his own brain) and recreate it as a computer. Once he's successful, there are all kinds of scary implications. The President (and other world leaders) are held captive by this new computer that makes demands with threats to caus ...more
Kelli
I've read this author before and found his books to be appropriately suspenseful. This book uses way too many words, but the underlying story was intriquing. Although I was lulled to sleep by all the unnecessary text, I had to finish the book to unravel the mystery
Andrea L.
This was purchased to read on a plane ride... as I had forgotten reading material. It was suspenseful (as far as thriller fiction goes) but a bit too violent for me. The ending leaves much to be desired as well... Not a recommended book.
Kawai
One of my favorite books of all time. Similar to the DaVinci Code, but more computer nerdy. All the questioning of sexism but puts it into the masculine & feminine perspectives...when beach read meets social-emotional inquiry.
Carl Mikael Blomkvist
Aprendí tres cosas con este libro:
1.- Un libro no llega al lector por error. Aunque al principio así lo parezca.
2.- No se nada sobre la narcolepsia.
3.- La chica que me vendió este libro por equivocación se merece un premio.
Chris
Excellent book combining all my favorite elements: murder, science, religion and medicine! Very well-written and a good ride throughout with constant twists and turns that make any fiction book into a great fiction book!
GONZA
La storia è quella del solito scienziato con vita triste che viene assoldato in progetto ultrasegreto per creare il solito computer che prenderà il sopravvento sul mondo (ve lo ricordate il Multivac di Asimov?).
Con i soliti correlati e cioè storie d'amore tra persone che credevano di averci messo una pietra sopra e il governo che tenta di insabbiare tutto.
Ora le crisi mistiche del tizio in questione mi sono quasi sembrate proprio aggiunte in seguito per poter appunto riallacciarsi al filone ch
David
Iles can move from WWII to the New South to mysteries to near-future science fiction, which is what you have here. It was provocative with its theological aspect.
Bob Ryan
An interesting book, Iles attempts to address issues of creation and evolution and the concept of a "super computer". I'm sure the digital purists will find plenty of issues with the technical aspects, but I wouldn't let that get in the way of a good story.
A large part of the book is a chase/pursuit. I could have done with a few less pages. I did appreciate the author's research efforts, in particular Ray Kurzweil's work on singularity, which is nicely incorporated into the story.
This book was w
Melissa Derr
Wow, a really unexpected surprise. I usually read books based on 1) their title and then 2) their cover art. I don't read the back of the book but just dip in for the unknown journey and boy, am I glad I dipped into this one. I am not the fastest reader but I finished this in less than 3 days. It kept me interested and kept me reading the entire way through! Do you love page-turning suspenseful books? You'll love this! Do you love fictional stories of science, politics, religion or technology... ...more
Patricia
This is my first book by this author, a 50 cent buy at the local thrift shop....I liked the first half of the book better than the second half, the coming together seemed long to me. I had the impression of listening to Sheldon Cooper of the tv show the Big Bang Theory when David is in conversation with Trinity...logical thinking applied to theories and applied to what is not known or experienced. The religious visions and what not didn't bother me or my personal beliefs. It's a work of fiction ...more
smboro
IT + humanism + suspense + LoviDovi = A Great Book
Gill
This is my first Greg Iles book so I've just been going through his many others on Goodreads and have discovered that it is different. Although, like the others it is a taut, exciting thriller, unlike them this one is Sc-fi. In fact, it deals with cutting edge science plus philosophy and religion all in the vivid atmosphere of a film. Like reading a Stephen King novel, I saw it as though watching a film.
You don't have to buy into the book's ideas about religion - Iles isn't L. Ron Hubbard! - bu
  • Emerald Decision
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Siberian Treasure
  • The Siege
  • Found Money
  • The Last Victim
  • The Body of David Hayes (Boldt/Matthews, #9)
  • Cathedral
  • Blindfold Game
  • Day Of Confession
  • God's Spy
  • Blasphemy (Wyman Ford #2)
  • The Butcher's Theater
  • The Eighth Day
  • Web of Deceit
  • Saving Faith
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • The Devil's Workshop
19696
Greg Iles was born in Germany in 1960. He grew up in Natchez, Mississippi, and graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1983. He was active in a band called "Frankly Scarlet", but quit after realizing that the touring lifestyle was not conducive with his family life. Once no longer busy with the band, he turned his attention to writing.

Greg's novels have been translated into various languag
More about Greg Iles...
The Quiet Game (Penn Cage, #1) Turning Angel (Penn Cage, #2) Natchez Burning (Penn Cage, #4) Blood Memory (Mississipi #5) True Evil

“Any person who wants to govern the world is by definition the wrong person to do it.” 38 likes
“He always reminded us that every atom in our bodies was once part of a distant star that had exploded. He talked about how evolution moves from simplicity toward complexity, and how human intelligence is the highest known expression of evolution. I remember him telling me that a frog's brain is much more complex than a star. He saw human consciousness as the first neuron of the universe coming to life and awareness. A spark in the darkness, waiting to spread to fire.” 8 likes