Start by marking “Assassin (Makedde Vanderwall, #6)” as Want to Read:
Assassin (Makedde Vanderwall, #6)

Assassin (Makedde Vanderwall #6)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Former model turned forensic psychologist and PI Mak Vanderwall is missing, presumed dead in Paris. By hiring a hit man to kill her, the powerful and corrupt Cavanagh family aimed to silence her for good. But after narrowly escaping death, Mak has taken over her would-be killer's world. She is very much alive. And transformed ...

Back in Sydney Mak's former flame, criminal
Published September 1st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers Australia

To ask other readers questions about Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assassin

This is a good, exciting story in which Makkede becomes decidedly more proactive. In fact she is fighting for her life and she fights hard and dirty. I had my usual issues with Tara Moss's writing style. She gives far too much extraneous detail and does it in the third person rather than letting the reader discover what matters through the characters. Sadly it made me want to skim whole paragraphs. The ending of the book, which appears also to be the ending of the series, was sweet but totally i ...more
Even though it’s a long time since the previous book in the Makedde Vanderwall series, it was easy to pick up. And this one would have to be the best of the lot!

Mak, former model, and now PI, is missing, presumed dead. She stirred up a whole HEAP of trouble with the Cavanagh’s in the previous book, Siren, and now they want her dead! The hit man the powerful head of the Cavanagh family, Jack, hired to kill Mak in Paris, has notified them the job is done, but hasn’t collected his final payment….

MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
How far would you go for revenge? For Survival?

Former model turned forensic psychologist and PI Mak Vanderwall is missing, presumed dead in Paris. By hiring a hit man to kill her, the powerful and corrupt Cavanagh family aimed to silence her for good. But after narrowly escaping death, Mak has taken over her would-be killer’s world.
She is very much alive. And transformed …

Back in Sydney Mak’s former flame, criminal profiler Andy Flynn, is on the trail of a vicious rapist and murderer with possib
Helensvale Library
Tara Moss takes her research seriously for her novels and an authenticity shines through in her writing. The Makedde Vanderwall series (Fetish, Split, Covert, Hit & Siren) are action packed, unpredictable, emotional, romantic and include a lot of real life detail. Assassin is the final instalment and rewards fans of the series with a truly surprising and violent fatal ending.

It has been so long since the previous book but thanks to great writing I found it easy to pick up with the story. Ma
This is possibly my favourite from the Mak Vanderwall series. I love her as a vigilante and I love her little surprise. The ending has me thinking this is probably the last one in the series though which is upsetting. Tara Moss is a fantastic writer and I hope this isn't the last we see of Mak and Andy
Tyson Adams
Trying to read with a newborn in your arms is tricky. You try to get them to sleep and then realise you haven't been reading all of that time. You try to feed them and realise that Zaphoid was right, a third arm does come in handy. This all adds up to making it hard to enjoy a good book.

The fact that I did enjoy this book shows just how good it was, because my reading has been very interrupted. Mak is back in what appears to be the finale in the Vanderwall series. Since the last book, Mak has be
Jacqueline King
Wow. Tara Moss is a truly great writer. The best MV book out of them all. It's been a wild ride with MV, and I loved watching her grow and evolve. Most people would have probably crawled into the fetal position and never moved after all she's been through, but MV came back with a vengeance again and again. The ending of Siren left my mind exploding and even though I had fair idea of what was to come in Assassin, it still blew me away how fantastic it was. As I powered through the chapters I trie ...more
I finished this novel overwhelmed..... Noooooo!!!!!! I want more. Don't end it there!

As usual, Moss lures me in and takes me on an exhilarating ride of emotions: one moment I'm holding my breathe, moments later rage builds and then.....tears.

Mak is pure Amazonian. Beauty and brains.....and now wealth. A lethal combination......

I got less than half way through this book before I started skimming.

Moss obviously did very thorough character development and research, but (like Tom Clancy) she needs to learn that the reader doesn't care - we want to know ONLY the bits that are relevant to the story. She slips constantly into the pluperfect to share more background research, or document a character's backstory. Also, she writes these asides as bald facts, in her voice, instead of letting the character share their story.

What a brilliant way to end our adventures with Mak! Darker and more dangerous than ever, this will leave your heart pumping and certain that this was the only way it could all end.....
K.L. Joy
Yet again Tara moss brings the character of Mak Vanderwall to life in this stunning final piece of the six book puzzle.

Thank you for your worlds, your world and your passion.
Well paced, undemanding and enjoyable. A small part here and there bordered on being a database dump of the author's research; I prefer the show not tell approach.
Quiana Vidal
This was a great ending to the Mak Vanderwall series. Siren (book 5) left me distraught and forlorn and I'm so glad that Mak was able to come back, reclaim some of her losses from Siren, and have a happy ending. I tend to really dislike stories were horrible things happen to the protagonist, but after seeing the title of this book, I decided to forge on because I wanted to really know what would happen. Mak's personality changed so much from book 1 to 6 and the evolution was very satisfying as a ...more
I listened to this on audiobook and I need to say something about the narration. The narrator was obviously Canadian. Although she didn't quite say 'aboot' for 'about', there was a slight hint of the 'ou' sound in words that was a dead give away. That didn't bother me but what did was her pronunciation of Australian cities such as Canberra and Melbourne. They were both mispronounced over and over again, and worst of all, the Australian characters were mispronouncing these names. Some of the stor ...more
I think I read one of the early stories in this series and decided to read another.
I found the first quarter of this book, to be honest, a real struggle, Tara Moss knows her stuff but I did not need it all crammed my down my throat. I found myself wading through a great deal of detail and character internal feelings which just made things drag.
The story from the second half picks up and begins to become a page turner but again I just felt like it was lacking something. I found the character of
Ross Hamilton
For me at least, one of the really interesting things about reading an extended series is in getting to see a character grow, develop and change in response to the obstacles placed before them. Tara Moss’s series about Makedde Vanderwall has been a prime example. It opened in Fetish with Vanderwall, a working model, arriving in Australia to meet up with a modelling friend, only to be dragged into a horrific encounter with a serial killer. Over the course of five books (Fetish, Split, Covert, Hit ...more
3.5 stars I haven't read the other books in the series but nevertheless found this book very enjoyable! Moss is a talented writer, and knows how to build up a plotline, which was intriguing. However, I did feel that I was viewing the story from the outside, and couldn't really empathise and genuinely understand the characters' feelings like I do for other books. I appreciate Moss' writing style, but generally don't feel like it's for me :/ However, it was a fun read! ...more
Well the series is over......what a way to go out. Guns blazing, pistol fighting, suicide, wow absolutely loved this series.

Makedde was such a strong woman through out these books. The things she went through, the things she saw, something no man for that matter should have to deal with but she went through it all and this book was more of Mak doing it all alone.

It's sad to think that she had to go through all that and had to in the end become an assassin herself just so she could ha
This is the final book of Makaydees life and quite frankly I was happy because I was over this series, I found it to long and draining however this book was a nice change-up It was quite fast paced through out the book and did leave you guessing as to how it would end. Makaydee has finally come full circle and it was interesting how much her character has changed throughout the complete series, she is so strong and calm throughout the book and it's good portraying a strong and dominate female ro ...more
Kara S
This was the first book of Moss's I have read, planning to read her work of non fiction. I've given it two stars rather than one as there was a plot with no major holes in as far as I read. The writing however was clunky, the story unremarkable, the scenes where emotional intensity should peak were timid. I read about 60% before returning to the library, and I won't be returning to her work.
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)

I enjoyed this book and i liked that after everything that Mak had been through in the previous series she is not 'ok'. However, this book was quite unrealistic in parts and there were certain inconsistencies that really bothered me.

Overall though this was enjoyable and not a bad wrap-up to the series.
Simone Sinna
I won this (and nine other books) courtesy of Sister’s in Crime at Brisbane writer’s festival. I thought I had already read it (have read the earlier ones) but hadn’t. Like the others, starting with Fetish I think about the Stiletto murders this has Makedde and Andy in it and a stiletto murderer wanna be. It traverses Spain and Australia, with parallel tales of Mak being pursued by assassins (and turning into one herself) while Andy is back home sorting out the latest Sydney serial killer. I fou ...more
Kiru Taye
A good story but it got bogged down in details that I ended up skimming. Loved the ending. Would have preferred a narrator who could nail the Australian accent. She sounded too North American.
Loved it.. Brilliant to the end... Loved Mak :-)
Jenni Boyd
Wow, this is definitely a page turner, the only thing that disappointed me was how the character of Andy Flynn was portrayed in this book.
It was a heart pounding, adrenalin high, roller coaster right to the end. Areal thriller.
Balthazar Lawson
This is the last in the Makedde Vanderwall series and it's a bit of a murderous and violent conclusion. It wraps up a lot of things but it's clear that to fully appreciate this story you really do need to have read at least the previous two stories in the series, if not all of them. I come away feeling that we should not under estimate women on the level of violence that are able to perpetrate, not that I ever did. It was an enjoyable read, even if certain levels of detail were missing.
P.J. Parker
Tara Moss's final book in the Mak Vanderwall series was wonderful. Well written and paced and just a great read. Tara is one of those authors that takes words with confidence and twists them into a tale that can be painful and enjoyable at the same time. I doubt there could be another Mak, but then with Tara Moss's imagination I am certain there is another powerful female character not far over the horizon...
Any Length
A fitting ending to the Makedde Vanderwall series. I wasn't a great fan of the books, but this one showed just how much research work has gone into the books. Well done Tara Moss.
One thing I didn't like. I listened to the audio book, and shame on the company that produced the audio book for using an american reader who didn't know how to pronounce australian words like Melbourne or Canberra.
Stephen Lawton
Even though Moss continues to repeat herself far too much, I found the evolution of the relationships portrayed engaging. Increasingly gruesome towards the end, the conversion of Vanderwall from vigilante to doting mother seemed too easy as did her relationship with the barely contained Flynn. Nonetheless I'm kind of sad that the series ended as it was a fun page turner.
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • Valentina (Valentina, #1)
  • A Stranger in My Street
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Burning Lies
  • Prime Cut
  • Tiger Paw
  • Sleight Malice
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
  • Malicious Intent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #1)
  • The Rouseabout
  • Man Drought
  • Beyond Fear
  • Shallow Breath
  • Fishing for Tigers
  • The House on Burra Burra Lane (Swallows Fall #1)
  • Three (Codename: Chandler #3)
Tara Moss is a novelist, TV presenter, blogger and journalist.

Since 1999 she has written and published nine bestselling novels including Fetish, Split, Covet, Hit, Siren, Assassin, The Blood Countess and The Spider Goddess, and been published in 18 countries in 12 languages. Her 9th novel, The Skeleton Key, has just been published.

She is currently enrolled in a Doctorate of Social Sciences at The
More about Tara Moss...

Makedde Vanderwall (6 books)
  • Fetish (Makedde Vanderwall, #1)
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)
  • Covet (Makedde Vanderwall, #3)
  • Hit (Makedde Vanderwall, #4)
  • Siren (Makedde Vanderwall, #5)
Fetish (Makedde Vanderwall, #1) The Blood Countess (Pandora English, #1) Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2) Covet (Makedde Vanderwall, #3) Hit (Makedde Vanderwall, #4)

“The reflex of fear was soon replaced with another, more useful emotion.