Start by marking “Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course” as Want to Read:
Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course

Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course

4.69 of 5 stars 4.69  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Bargue-Gerome Drawing Course is a complete reprint of a famous, late nineteenth century drawing course.
Published October 31st 2007 by Art Creation Realisation (first published October 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome

Dottie Suggs
I had no idea that this book still existed. It was remade from the original in 2003. What a find! This is the book that Van Gogh used to teach himself. The reading of the material is fast, but now the fun begins as I go back to replicate the drawings.
Melinda
This drawing course is the most effective I have ever used. I am sure there are many people that will argue with the efficacy of directly copying master drawings of figures and sculptures, but in my personal experience it has proven to be an excellent way to teach a beginner, as well as hone an accomplished artist's skills.

To provide an example: in my year of teaching studio art in junior and senior high school, there was some question as to whether these drawings would be too difficult for kid
Serge Pierro
An amazing approach to drawing. The book is essentially a collection of plates that offer various degrees of difficulty. It starts off with teaching the ability to judge lines and proportions, then moves onto cast studies, and finally the copying of masterworks. For those who are interested in classical drawing, this book is a must.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This is simply astounding. The images, the research, just wow. The Bargue course is the one that Vincent Van Gogh worked his way through twice on his own. I had always wanted to see what it looked like, and now I'm probably going to buy a copy and work my way through it as well.
Joel Dougherty
Contains high-quality color plates of Bargue's lithographs commissioned by Jean-Leon Gerome for use as a drawing course in the 19th century French Academy. These and Ackerman's comments about the course and the individual plates are worth the cover price.
Michael Springer
I had long wanted a copy of this book and was not disappointed when I finally received and began reading - studying the plates inside, a masterpiece. Thanks Linda - 10/10.
Brayden
Jul 03, 2012 Brayden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Though I have only gotten through the first few drawings, this is probably the best way to learn drawing if you cannot take part in atelier training.
Rich F
An absolute must if you want to hone your realist drawing skills.
Dave Wc
Definitive classical drawing primer
Loree
Oct 29, 2008 Loree rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists
Recommended to Loree by: John DeMartin
very good...
Angela Schwengler
Angela Schwengler marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Noemi
Noemi is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Jo-ann
Jo-ann marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Lapetitefay
Lapetitefay is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Sara Coverdale
Sara Coverdale marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Abby Grace
Abby Grace marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Alex Zonis
Alex Zonis marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2014
Arumfaerie
Arumfaerie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Blux
Blux marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jean-Leon Gerome: His Life, His Work 1824-1904 Jean-Leon Gerome: 1824-1904: Sa Vie, Son Uvre The Life and Work of Jean-Leon Gerome: With a Catalogue Raisonne Jean-Léon Gérôme: Monographie révisée, catalogue raisonné mis à jour (Les orientalistes) Charles Bargue et Jean-Léon Gérôme