Start by marking “Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course” as Want to Read:
Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course

Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course

4.67 of 5 stars 4.67  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Bargue-Gerome Drawing Course is a complete reprint of a famous, late nineteenth century drawing course.
Published October 31st 2007 by Art Creation Realisation (first published October 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome

Melinda
This drawing course is the most effective I have ever used. I am sure there are many people that will argue with the efficacy of directly copying master drawings of figures and sculptures, but in my personal experience it has proven to be an excellent way to teach a beginner, as well as hone an accomplished artist's skills.

To provide an example: in my year of teaching studio art in junior and senior high school, there was some question as to whether these drawings would be too difficult for kid
Dottie Suggs
I had no idea that this book still existed. It was remade from the original in 2003. What a find! This is the book that Van Gogh used to teach himself. The reading of the material is fast, but now the fun begins as I go back to replicate the drawings.
Serge Pierro
An amazing approach to drawing. The book is essentially a collection of plates that offer various degrees of difficulty. It starts off with teaching the ability to judge lines and proportions, then moves onto cast studies, and finally the copying of masterworks. For those who are interested in classical drawing, this book is a must.
LemontreeLime
This is simply astounding. The images, the research, just wow. The Bargue course is the one that Vincent Van Gogh worked his way through twice on his own. I had always wanted to see what it looked like, and now I'm probably going to buy a copy and work my way through it as well.
Joel Dougherty
Contains high-quality color plates of Bargue's lithographs commissioned by Jean-Leon Gerome for use as a drawing course in the 19th century French Academy. These and Ackerman's comments about the course and the individual plates are worth the cover price.
Michael Springer
I had long wanted a copy of this book and was not disappointed when I finally received and began reading - studying the plates inside, a masterpiece. Thanks Linda - 10/10.
Brayden
Jul 03, 2012 Brayden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Though I have only gotten through the first few drawings, this is probably the best way to learn drawing if you cannot take part in atelier training.
Rich F
An absolute must if you want to hone your realist drawing skills.
Dave Wc
Definitive classical drawing primer
Loree
Oct 29, 2008 Loree rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists
Recommended to Loree by: John DeMartin
very good...
Seddiqah Almahdi
Seddiqah Almahdi marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Priya
Priya is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2015
Salomon Rivera
Salomon Rivera marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Maïra
Maïra marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Fernanda
Fernanda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Arnaud Icard
Arnaud Icard marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Ellen Marie Moysons
Ellen Marie Moysons marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Sandie McClain
Sandie McClain marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jean-Leon Gerome: His Life, His Work 1824-1904 Jean-Leon Gerome: 1824-1904: Sa Vie, Son Uvre The Life and Work of Jean-Leon Gerome: With a Catalogue Raisonne Jean-Léon Gérôme: Monographie révisée, catalogue raisonné mis à jour (Les orientalistes) Charles Bargue et Jean-Léon Gérôme