Start by marking “Azzi in Between” as Want to Read:
Azzi in Between

Azzi in Between

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Azzi and her parents are in danger. They have to leave their home and escape to another country on a frightening journey by car and boat. In the new country they must learn to speak a new language, find a new home and Azzi must start a new school. With a kind helper at the school, Azzi begins to learn English and understand that she is not the only one who has had to flee ...more
Published June 18th 2012 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Azzi in Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Azzi in Between

Lucy
this story ,about this girl named azzie escaping her country because of war and leaving her grandmother behing, she has to learn new language and her dad has to find a job or they won't have enough money to stay and they will have to go back to their country at war, is very good because i like adventure books and this one is very exiting, i do recommend this book!!!!!!
June
Jul 09, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: refugee and new immigrant requests
This is a nice introductory story about refugees. I love the hopeful ending of Azzi and her family reunited and settling in. However, it lost one star for not including the spicy bean recipe.
Billie Crane
Azzi and her family have to flee their country due to a dangerous war, sadly though, they choose to leave Grandma behind. Their journey takes them by car and boat to a new country where struggles with a new language and fitting in rise in abundance. Luckily with the help of a tutor and spicy beans, Azzi begins to fit in with her new surroundings. Soon her grandma is able to join the family, after a dangerous journey of her own. The illustrations for this book, done in felt pen and watercolor, ar ...more
Claire
There should be more children's books/graphic novels along these lines. Telling the story of real-life issues that many young people go through all over the world- living through war, having to flee, moving to a country where they do not speak the language. I enjoyed the art & story but wish the structure of the comic had been more creative, but understand that it is likely serving as an introduction to the genre.
Alison
The winner of 2013's Little Rebels prize for radical children's book, this graphic novel tells the story of Azzi and her family who leave their war-torn country, and manage a difficult and dangerous journey to safety. They leave behind all their possessions, and worse, they leave Azzi's beloved grandmother. The family have left a beautiful house and garden, but in the new country they live in one room. Eventually, Azzi makes friends and learns the language, and the book ends on an optimistic not ...more
Margaret
1/25/14 ** This picture book, written and illustrated in frames, as a graphic novel would be, tells the story of Azzi, a refugee from an unspecified* middle-eastern country to a western country. The story is a little more nuanced than some, with several moves, leaving a grandmother behind and then having her come join then. It seemed to go longer than I intuitively expected, with two narrative peaks. The structure fit "real life" better than some fiction does.

This book would help American childr
Den
Azzi has to leave her home and country with her parents and travel by car and boat to another country - where she doesn't know the language, their life-style, their food ....
She misses her grandma terribly but slowly with the help of a new friend she begins to learn the new language.
A brilliant book which tells the story of a girl travelling to a new country. It highlights the problems the families and children face in their new 'home' and just how difficult it can be for them and their families
LH Johnson
Azzi In Between first came to my attention following it winning the inaugural Little Rebels Children’s Book Award . This, coupled with the review it got over at Playing By The Book meant that it was one book that was very much on my radar.

And I'm so glad it was.

There's a problem (do I mean problem? issue, maybe, concern, maybe) with books of this nature sometimes becoming too overly didactic. I don't mind that at times but I do mind it when the ideology becomes overwhelming for the reader. Ther
Stephanie Tournas
Azzi and her parents escape from an unnamed country at war, leaving behind her beloved Grandma. They find refuge in another country, and Azzi starts school and learn to speak English. But, life is hard for the little family. Azzi's father especially misses his garden. And then, Azzi thinks of a way to bring a bit of home to their new country.

The warm, bright colors depict the destruction of war, as well as the warmth of welcome of a new country.
Whitney Rachel
I wish I knew where she was fleeing from/to. I get the AI's mission with this book is to expose the rough transition of refugees in general, but I felt like having a determined setting would have really added to the power of this graphic novel. I also don't think it's a very true representation of the refugee/aslyee struggle.

I did, however, enjoy the GN's simplicity. I think it's a good read.
Cheri
I was really impressed with this book--it showed just enough of the child's view on war and on being a refugee to make the reader anxious and afraid, but not so much that it would overwhelm or trigger a kid. I especially liked how the effort to learn English was described throughout the book. I look forward to seeing what my graphic novel gurus think of this one at the library.
Lamis Gabr
very touchy story and very expressive illustrations, a lot to tell and to explain to your kids behind its lines , about war, homeland meaning , the refugee's suffering, family and hope. me and my son really enjoyed reading this deep story together.
Very highly recommended for children, teachers and parents. My children loved the story, found it exciting and interesting and have a much better understanding now of the experience of refugees. This is a long book compared with most picture books and this length allows the author to explore Azzi's journey in detail. It's not just about a perilous journey to a new country, but also her struggles with a new language and culture.
Edward Sullivan
A sensitive, hopeful story about a refugee family told from a young child's perspective in graphic format.
Zoe
Gentle, strong, thought provoking, hopeful - a lovely book indeed.
Marilia Pupo
Marilia Pupo marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Qasal
Qasal marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jan
Jan is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Helyn
Helyn marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Jandy
Jandy marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Avigail Eren-chotzen
Avigail Eren-chotzen marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
There is more than one author with this name.

Sarah Garland has written and illustrated over forty picture books and adventure stories for young children. She is best known for her warm and witty portrayals of family relationships, and for her outstanding work for preschool picture books.

She lives in the beautiful village of Chedworth in the Cotswolds with
her husband, artist David Garland.
More about Sarah Garland...
Eddie's Toolbox and How to Make and Mend Things Eddie's Garden and How to Make Things Grow Eddie's Kitchen and How To Make Good Things to Eat The Complete Book of Herbs & Spices Going Shopping