Start by marking “Canto for a Gypsy” as Want to Read:
Canto for a Gypsy

Canto for a Gypsy (Roman Grey #2)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Antique dealer and gypsy Roman Grey is picked to guard the royal crown of Hungary during an exhibition at St. Patrick's Cathedral. While guarding it from those who would take it, he uncovers a century's old secret about the crown.
Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Published December 12th 1982 by Ballantine Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Canto for a Gypsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canto for a Gypsy

Linda Hart
My first book by Martin Cruz Smith, and apparently not his best, but I really enjoyed it & will definitely read more of his work! This was his 2nd novel, written 30 years ago, with dozens of best sellers since then. The characters were well drawn, the mystery mysterious. It was not only a page turner, but for me educational. . . who knew there were gypsys (Roms) in NYC, let alone their history & contributions to culture? Not I.
Althea Ann
I've read most of MCS' more recent books (Dec. 6th and Wolves Eat Dogs are still on the TBR, though!), so I was intrigued by this earlier (1972) novel, published before he achieved success with ‘Gorky Park.'
The book shows the author's ongoing interest in creating protagonists from a variety of ethnic and social backgrounds – here, art dealer Roman Grey, although he lives in NYC, is a Romany Gypsy.
The story is a fairly basic action/mystery – the holy Crown of St. Stephen (http://en.wikipedia.org/
George King
I like the Character of Roman as much as Arkady Renko
Dark-Draco
It didn't take me long to read this, but I can't say that it has left lasting memories! A bit predicatable and with so many characters beautifully introduced only to be killed off or to disappear again after saying something suitable! Throughout it all, I kept getting the feeling that this was the 'cliff notes' shortened version, and that the real novel existed somewhere else. Still, it was something to read and I did get to the end of it. I fact, the thrilling last couple of chapters were by fa ...more
Lemar
An early book from Martin Cruz Smith featuring the character Romano Gry, anglicized to Roman Grey, a Rom art dealer in NY. Themes of Magyar-Gypsy animosity appear as the plot unfolds around the Crown of St. Stephen and what that symbol means to various factions. This book was written well before the breaking of the iron curtain which brings in the emigre Hungarian-American community versus the Communist Hungarians and the perennial fall guys, the Gypsies. Where does the Catholic church figure in ...more
Graham
An easy read, not as exciting or as gripping as some of his other novels but none the less worth a look at.
Pithee
read by Walt MacPherson
Cws
M Smi
Angela Owens
Angela Owens marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Hpstrangelove
Hpstrangelove marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Howard Epstein
Howard Epstein marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Selected Novels and Short Stories
  • The Bunny Years: The Surprising Inside Story of the Playboy Clubs: The Women Who Worked as Bunnies and Where They Are Now
  • Red Chameleon (Porfiry Rostnikov, #3)
  • Let's Put the Future Behind Us
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo, #1)
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • Rumpole and the Golden Thread
  • The Singing Detective
  • Shiny Water
  • The Boy Who Ate Fear Street (Ghosts of Fear Street, #11)
  • 9Tail Fox
  • Black Butterflies
  • What You See in the Dark
  • Horse Under Water
  • The Seduction of Peter S.
  • Dead Low Tide
  • The November Man
  • The Lake of Darkness
AKA Simon Quinn, Nick Carter.

Martin Cruz Smith (born Martin William Smith), American novelist, received his BA in Creative Writing from the University of Pennsylvania in 1964. He worked as a journalist from 1965 to 1969 before turning his hand to fiction. His first mystery (Gypsy in Amber – 1971) features NY gypsy art dealer Roman Grey and was nominated for an Edgar Award. Nightwing was his breakt
More about Martin Cruz Smith...
Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1) Polar Star (Arkady Renko, #2) Red Square (Arkady Renko, #3) Wolves Eat Dogs (Arkady Renko, #5) Havana Bay (Arkady Renko, #4)