Start by marking “Canto for a Gypsy” as Want to Read:
Canto for a Gypsy

Canto for a Gypsy (Roman Grey #2)

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Antique dealer and gypsy Roman Grey is picked to guard the royal crown of Hungary during an exhibition at St. Patrick's Cathedral. While guarding it from those who would take it, he uncovers a century's old secret about the crown.
Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Published December 12th 1982 by Ballantine Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Canto for a Gypsy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canto for a Gypsy

Linda Hart
My first book by Martin Cruz Smith, and apparently not his best, but I really enjoyed it & will definitely read more of his work! This was his 2nd novel, written 30 years ago, with dozens of best sellers since then. The characters were well drawn, the mystery mysterious. It was not only a page turner, but for me educational. . . who knew there were gypsys (Roms) in NYC, let alone their history & contributions to culture? Not I.
Althea Ann
I've read most of MCS' more recent books (Dec. 6th and Wolves Eat Dogs are still on the TBR, though!), so I was intrigued by this earlier (1972) novel, published before he achieved success with ‘Gorky Park.'
The book shows the author's ongoing interest in creating protagonists from a variety of ethnic and social backgrounds – here, art dealer Roman Grey, although he lives in NYC, is a Romany Gypsy.
The story is a fairly basic action/mystery – the holy Crown of St. Stephen (
Mia Emslie
Good story. Interesting.. Fast moving. Involved priceless crown, St Patrick's Cathedral, Catholic bishops, gypsies.. of course. You immediately like the main characters. Listened to it while traveling.. Good choice.
George King
I like the Character of Roman as much as Arkady Renko
It didn't take me long to read this, but I can't say that it has left lasting memories! A bit predicatable and with so many characters beautifully introduced only to be killed off or to disappear again after saying something suitable! Throughout it all, I kept getting the feeling that this was the 'cliff notes' shortened version, and that the real novel existed somewhere else. Still, it was something to read and I did get to the end of it. I fact, the thrilling last couple of chapters were by fa ...more
An early book from Martin Cruz Smith featuring the character Romano Gry, anglicized to Roman Grey, a Rom art dealer in NY. Themes of Magyar-Gypsy animosity appear as the plot unfolds around the Crown of St. Stephen and what that symbol means to various factions. This book was written well before the breaking of the iron curtain which brings in the emigre Hungarian-American community versus the Communist Hungarians and the perennial fall guys, the Gypsies. Where does the Catholic church figure in ...more
An easy read, not as exciting or as gripping as some of his other novels but none the less worth a look at.
read by Walt MacPherson
M Smi
Deborah marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Claire added it
Oct 06, 2015
David Hall
David Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Melissa Wilson
Melissa Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Spino marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Gail marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Debbie Matthews
Debbie Matthews marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Andy marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Agnes marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Ken French
Ken French marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • Selected Novels and Short Stories
  • The Intercom Conspiracy
  • The Shattered Eye (November Man, #3)
  • Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • Red Chameleon (Porfiry Rostnikov, #3)
  • The Boy Who Ate Fear Street (Ghosts of Fear Street, #11)
  • Arthur and the Lost Diary (Arthur Chapter Book, #9)
  • Let's Put the Future Behind Us
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
  • The Singing Detective
  • The Bunny Years: The Surprising Inside Story of the Playboy Clubs: The Women Who Worked as Bunnies and Where They Are Now
  • Rumpole and the Golden Thread
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo, #1)
  • Felaheen
  • Black Butterflies
  • The Seduction of Peter S.
  • Double Cross Blind
AKA Simon Quinn, Nick Carter.

Martin Cruz Smith (born Martin William Smith), American novelist, received his BA in Creative Writing from the University of Pennsylvania in 1964. He worked as a journalist from 1965 to 1969 before turning his hand to fiction. His first mystery (Gypsy in Amber – 1971) features NY gypsy art dealer Roman Grey and was nominated for an Edgar Award. Nightwing was his breakt
More about Martin Cruz Smith...

Roman Grey (2 books)
  • Gypsy in Amber
Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1) Polar Star (Arkady Renko, #2) Red Square (Arkady Renko, #3) Wolves Eat Dogs (Arkady Renko, #5) Havana Bay (Arkady Renko, #4)