Start by marking “Peppermint” as Want to Read:
Peppermint

Peppermint

4.8 of 5 stars 4.80  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This is the beautiful story of a small kitten who is born in a candy store and needs a home. If you've read it, you may remember the image of a kitten who has been accidentally dyed blue. You may also remember how heartwarming it is when a sad little kitten and sad little girl find happiness together.
The story, while clearly from a bygone era, is still memorable. It's a gr
Paperback
Published 1967 by Merrigold Press (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Peppermint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peppermint

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollPuss in Boots by Charles Perrault
Great "Cat" Books
231st out of 879 books — 419 voters
Evertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellChocolat by Joanne HarrisCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlA Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Taste
80th out of 112 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
My absolute favorite children's book. This may have been the book that taught me to read, because I know my mom read it to me until I'd memorized it, and I read it by myself many times as well.

Peppermint is a kitten that is adopted by a little girl. She plans to take him to show and tell at school, so she tries to bathe him, but he ends up in a bowl of blue dye!

You have to read it to find out how it all turns out!
Kelly
Feb 21, 2014 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: eljin
My sister and I had this book when we were little and I scooped a pristine copy from an Instagram shop as a gift for her. The illustrations are darling and brought back tons of memories, but the sentiment was a little bit off and not something I would have been so excited about had I remembered.
Lindsay Downs
I love this book based on pure nostalgia. The moral, if there is one, is almost offensive: little Peppermint was only worthy until Barbara's mother accidentally dyed her blue...

This books is still AWESOME!
Denise
My favorite book from my childhood. I wish that it was still in print. I'd love to give a copy to my niece.
John Pollock
This was one of my favorite childhood books! So glad I came upon it again today!
Chloe
I loved this book so much as a child. And now I want a kitten.
Kellie
May 01, 2011 Kellie added it
Shelves: pre-adult-reads
This was one of my favorite books when I was a little girl. Seeing this cover brings back so many memories and makes me nostalgic. It's a story about kittens for sale in a candy shop. One of the kittens gets dyed blue by accident and no one wants it. A little girl takes it home and somehow the kitten gets cleaned and the little girl discovers that it's a beautiful white kitten.
Kaethe
Peppermint is the kitten version of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. No one wants it, it looks all bedraggled and tiny, but then one little girl takes it home and loves it, and it turns out to be a beautiful kitten. Who accidentally bathes in the blueing when the girl's mother tries to bathe it.*

*Do people still add blueing to make their whites look whiter?
babyhippoface
I bought a copy of this title from the 50's at a garage sale, and my daughter just loved it. She wrote a mini-review of it in first grade, so I'll just let her do the talking here:

"Peppermint is a verry beuteyfull book. She is gray and has ruff fur. Then a girl takes her home and washes her. Then she jumps in the blueing and then she was a beuteyfull blue cat!"
Dawn
I LOVE THIS BOOK! Absolutely my favorite children's book. A few years ago I wanted a copy, and getting it was quite the adventure. From several librarians, websites and some interesting fan discussions. It is the story of a kitten who falls in bleach and turns Blue. Great Book.
Robin
This is an adorable book about a lonely kitten and a lonely little girl. They find each other, and the little girl (Barbara) is going to take the kitten Peppermint to a cat show, but the cat hates the bath so much, she jumps out into a bowl of blue dye. But all ends well.
Gretchen Ingram
I would love to find another copy of this- it's a sweet book!

Found! I haven't read this in so many years... it was a treat to re-read it with Emily today. She's too old for it too, of course, but she liked it as well.
Christa
I loved this book as a child and I'm delighted to have it in my collection, it's sweet and the pictures are just adorable. It's always been one of my favorites and I love it even as an adult.
Sarah Rowland
My absolute favourite book when I was a child growing up in Florida in the 80s. I still have my 39cent edition and enjoy reading it to my toddler but don't let her touch it!!
Joan Otto
My absolute favorite book ever, and the first one I remember reading on my own as a kid. Spawned a lifelong love of reading - AND it's about a cat. How much better can you get?
Kris Phillips
This was the first book I ever read by myself (I was 4), and I still have it! So excited to find it listed here.
Sharon
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I loved that poor little cat and I was that little girl.
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
April
April added it
Oct 21, 2014
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Lisa Sass
Lisa Sass marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Laura added it
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Little Ballerina Little Majorette The Mulberry Bush Trudy Phillips, New Girl The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings