Start by marking “Peppermint” as Want to Read:
Peppermint

Peppermint

4.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This is the beautiful story of a small kitten who is born in a candy store and needs a home. If you've read it, you may remember the image of a kitten who has been accidentally dyed blue. You may also remember how heartwarming it is when a sad little kitten and sad little girl find happiness together.
The story, while clearly from a bygone era, is still memorable. It's a gr
Paperback
Published 1967 by Merrigold Press (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Peppermint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peppermint

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
Great "Cat" Books
276th out of 1,029 books — 578 voters
Evertaster by Adam Glendon SidwellCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussChocolat by Joanne HarrisJames and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Taste
82nd out of 114 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
Mar 01, 2008 babyhippoface rated it liked it
I bought a copy of this title from the 50's at a garage sale, and my daughter just loved it. She wrote a mini-review of it in first grade, so I'll just let her do the talking here:

"Peppermint is a verry beuteyfull book. She is gray and has ruff fur. Then a girl takes her home and washes her. Then she jumps in the blueing and then she was a beuteyfull blue cat!"
Linda
Sep 11, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite children's book. This may have been the book that taught me to read, because I know my mom read it to me until I'd memorized it, and I read it by myself many times as well.

Peppermint is a kitten that is adopted by a little girl. She plans to take him to show and tell at school, so she tries to bathe him, but he ends up in a bowl of blue dye!

You have to read it to find out how it all turns out!
Kelly
Feb 21, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: eljin
My sister and I had this book when we were little and I scooped a pristine copy from an Instagram shop as a gift for her. The illustrations are darling and brought back tons of memories, but the sentiment was a little bit off and not something I would have been so excited about had I remembered.
Lindsay Downs
Oct 14, 2009 Lindsay Downs rated it it was amazing
I love this book based on pure nostalgia. The moral, if there is one, is almost offensive: little Peppermint was only worthy until Barbara's mother accidentally dyed her blue...

This books is still AWESOME!
Karen
Mar 15, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Cute old kid's book. I read this to almost 4 year old Keturah when they were visiting. Bluing is a bit outdated though. I wonder how many kids know what it is?
Teri
Jan 05, 2015 Teri rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a child. I often look for it in book stores just so I can own a copy again.
Denise
Feb 15, 2014 Denise rated it it was amazing
My favorite book from my childhood. I wish that it was still in print. I'd love to give a copy to my niece.
John Pollock
Sep 09, 2014 John Pollock rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite childhood books! So glad I came upon it again today!
Chloe
Oct 09, 2014 Chloe rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much as a child. And now I want a kitten.
Kellie
May 01, 2011 Kellie added it
Shelves: pre-adult-reads
This was one of my favorite books when I was a little girl. Seeing this cover brings back so many memories and makes me nostalgic. It's a story about kittens for sale in a candy shop. One of the kittens gets dyed blue by accident and no one wants it. A little girl takes it home and somehow the kitten gets cleaned and the little girl discovers that it's a beautiful white kitten.
Kaethe
Jul 17, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Peppermint is the kitten version of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. No one wants it, it looks all bedraggled and tiny, but then one little girl takes it home and loves it, and it turns out to be a beautiful kitten. Who accidentally bathes in the blueing when the girl's mother tries to bathe it.*

*Do people still add blueing to make their whites look whiter?
Dawn
Jul 30, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! Absolutely my favorite children's book. A few years ago I wanted a copy, and getting it was quite the adventure. From several librarians, websites and some interesting fan discussions. It is the story of a kitten who falls in bleach and turns Blue. Great Book.
Robin
May 12, 2008 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable book about a lonely kitten and a lonely little girl. They find each other, and the little girl (Barbara) is going to take the kitten Peppermint to a cat show, but the cat hates the bath so much, she jumps out into a bowl of blue dye. But all ends well.
Gretchen Ingram
Jul 31, 2012 Gretchen Ingram rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I would love to find another copy of this- it's a sweet book!

Found! I haven't read this in so many years... it was a treat to re-read it with Emily today. She's too old for it too, of course, but she liked it as well.
Christa
Dec 05, 2008 Christa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child and I'm delighted to have it in my collection, it's sweet and the pictures are just adorable. It's always been one of my favorites and I love it even as an adult.
Sarah Rowland
Oct 09, 2012 Sarah Rowland rated it it was amazing
My absolute favourite book when I was a child growing up in Florida in the 80s. I still have my 39cent edition and enjoy reading it to my toddler but don't let her touch it!!
Joan Concilio
Dec 30, 2013 Joan Concilio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-read
My absolute favorite book ever, and the first one I remember reading on my own as a kid. Spawned a lifelong love of reading - AND it's about a cat. How much better can you get?
Kris Phillips
Aug 22, 2011 Kris Phillips rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read by myself (I was 4), and I still have it! So excited to find it listed here.
Sharon
Oct 04, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I loved that poor little cat and I was that little girl.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Joni-Marie
Joni-Marie rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Carrie Flint Pichler
Carrie Flint Pichler marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Ruxandra Radulescu
Ruxandra Radulescu marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Donna Johnston
Donna Johnston marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015