Start by marking “American Dreamer” as Want to Read:
American Dreamer

Theresa Weir

American Dreamer

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Striking out on her own for the first time, Lark Leopold comes face-to-face with the glare of Nathan Senatra, a farmer whose life is a mess, and he doesn't have time for Lark's silly animal research. But Lark cannot fight the attraction to this man. For the first time in her life, Lark has found something worth holding onto--and no matter what the consequences she is not l ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about American Dreamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Dreamer

Saly
Rating 3.5 stars

If you are looking forward to sunshine and rainbows then Theresa Weir is not the author for you but if you are looking to read something real, often painful in reality then this author is for you.

This book especially the hero Nathan could be pretty dark. He hadn't led the best life, his parents died and he never even finished high school trying to hang on to his family's farm and then he lost part of his heritage in his divorce, so he is a bitter man, who drinks and somehow is no
Crista
What started out as a very light and funny read quickly morphed into a very heavy, dark read. I experienced a gamut of emotions while reading this one.

I love this author and while this is not my favorite work of hers, it's still showcases her talent brilliantly. Nathan Senatra is a down on his luck farmer who's ex-wife has just shown up dead on his property. Of course, he is the lead suspect in the murder. Lark Leopold is a sheltered 30 year old woman who has traveled to Nathan's farm to do rese
Ruthie Knox
The chaotic, messy, sometimes hilarious love story of two damaged people -- an environmentalist farmer who may or may not have killed his ex-wife and the sheltered, traumatized naif who shows up on his land to do a contented cattle study. If you like Weir's other work, you'll enjoy this one. If you can't figure out what to make of her, this will be more of the same. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Plus, there aren't enough farmer heroes in romance. Nathan Senatra is an *actual* farmer, in the sens
Nicole Helm
Probably more of a 3.5, this book was 3 parts lovely and entertaining, 2 parts bizarre, and 1 part WTF. I'm not sure I know what to say beyond that. Except, yay farmers!!
Kim Rhoads
Enjoyable read

I enjoy books that have a "mystery" to solve. While I figured out this one pretty much from the beginning I still enjoyed the storyline. I like that Lark was strong throughout the book even through her fears from being a victim. It's also a lesson to everyone to never give up hope and a lesson in the dangers of gossip.
Heathy
This book was absolutely brilliant!! I love a good tormented hero, especially one who is an Average Joe, not some multi-millionaire who lives in a mansion.

The book takes a sudden & tragic twist (which I won't go into details about), and I thought that was very refreshing. Too many times, it's so obvious that the hero & heroine will overcome their obstacles & live happily ever after.

American Dreamer is definitely a page turner & kept me interested throughout the entire story. It a
willaful
I'm rating this up a bit because I love that it's about an environmentalist farmer, and it has some very powerful scenes, but honestly I really didn't like it very much. "Episodic" doesn't begin to describe it -- hyperactive might come closer. So much weird stuff happens so constantly, the characters never get a chance to properly react to the last thing that happened. And the mystery is very obvious.
Lyuda
Theresa Weir is one of my favorite contemporary romance writers but this book was a disappointment. It had all the dark brooding characters and situations that I came to expect from the author. But I felt the description of farm life, Midwestern American people and towns was too unbelievable and unfair. It almost like the author had American Gothic painting in front of her while writing the book.
Cindy
This is a story about a woman named Lark that goes from California to a very small town in Iowa to do a survey on cow contentment. The story develops into a mystery. I'm always afraid to say too much because I don't want to spoil the story, but I will say that it was a little slow starting, but got my interest and I did enjoy reading it.
Kathleen Crowell
I can't put my finger on why I liked the main character Lark and Nathan. But I did--the back story for each wasn't really of interest to me, but they were really well-done characters. I liked that these two "damaged" people came together and found each other and something worth going on for...
Belladora Ahumada
This book captivated me from the start. It handsome nice twists in the story and nice imagery. It also opened the door to an author I had never read. Now it is time to read another book by her.
Dee

Romantic suspense
Backstory told too early
But still pretty good
Linda
Romance, mystery, danger and past relationships coming back to haunt the present and it all takes place in a rural setting that is believable.
Carol
Seemed like a light hearted romance but there are some deep seeded tragedies underlying the characters. A little choppy in writing style
Diana
I am very much enjoying Weir's voice as I catch up on her backlist. I missed this one when it was originally released in 1997.
Janet
I liked this book a lot and would have given it more stars if it weren't for naughty parts I had to skip over.
Mandi Murphy
This was a really interesting story but I had to quit because it violated one of my carnal book rules...blatant sex.
Chelle
Jul 29, 2014 Chelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Any book that includes an "impossibly rugged and handsome farmer" is worth a look. :)
Sassapphras
The characters were really weird. However, it was entertaining and well written.
Anne Pacman
Quick read, finished it on a six hour plane ride. Extremely good, captivating novel.
Sarita
It was a truly enjoyable read! I couldn't put it down.
Barbara J Climer
Barbara J Climer is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Denisa Budayová
Denisa Budayová marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Avenging Angel
  • Logan's Redemption
  • The Portrait
  • Heart of a Knight
  • Breaking the Silence
  • In the Midnight Rain
  • Mine Until Dawn (The Fitzgerald Family, #2)
  • Tides Of Love (Zebra Historical Romance)
  • Under the Moon's Shadow (Shadows Collection/Leroy's Sins, #2)
  • Fat Assassins
  • Leave the Lights On
  • The Blasphemer
  • The Last Good Man
  • Lightning That Lingers
  • A Second Chance
  • Bound By Blood
  • Hidden Steel
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
Theresa Weir (a.k.a. Anne Frasier) is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six books and numerous short stories that have spanned the genres of suspense, mystery, thriller, romantic suspense, paranormal, fantasy, and memoir. During her award-winning career, she's written for Penguin Putnam, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins Publishers, Bantam Books/Random House, Silhouette ...more
More about Theresa Weir...
The Orchard: A Memoir The Girl with the Cat Tattoo (Cool Cats, #1) Cool Shade Amazon Lily Last Summer