Start by marking “The Cardinal Virtues” as Want to Read:
The Cardinal Virtues

The Cardinal Virtues

Continuing the return to form begun with St. Valentine's Night, Father Greeley's new work brings back the characters and milieu of his bestselling Cardinal Sins. Two good priests take on the forces of evil when they are confronted with a sinister secret organization within the church.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 1990 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Cardinal Virtues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cardinal Virtues

Joe
Jan 16, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this book. It was easy and quick to read, although the first couple chapters took some getting used to. The author's writing style was almost entirely of dialogue and thoughts of the main character, without any additional narration. All of the characters, the good and the bad, were very well developed and incorporated into the story. The author's insight into the life of a Priest and the workings of a Catholic parish are obviously credible, since that is what he is, and I th ...more
Shellie Sakai
Aug 07, 2011 Shellie Sakai rated it it was amazing
Andrew Greeley brings out the good, the bad and the ugly in this Chicago neighborhood. Every emotion know to mankind is felt, by you the reader, through this story. I can't explain why I loved this book so much. It just made me want to stay friends with these people. To be a part of this parish, this neighborhood. To have the Old Priest and New Priest looking out for me. This is what a Catholic church should be, but, too often is not.
Joan Schrock
Feb 20, 2015 Joan Schrock rated it really liked it
This is basically about the life and personal feelings of an inner city Catholic Priest who has been at it a number of years and has been sent a young, energenic Curate, who he refers to frequently as Mary Poppins. He is feeling his age and feels like he is being replaced but ends up becoming the newbie priest's ally and friend as they face the serious and frivolous problems of the school and church together. Andrew Greeley skillfully puts you in this congregation with it's joys and warts.
Katrina Roets
Feb 01, 2011 Katrina Roets rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's never been a book by Andrew Greeley that has disappointed me and this book was no exception. I loved how the dear Father dealt with the ongoing drama and excitement that occurred in his parish when Father "New Priest" joined. There was never a dull moment and it kept me turning page after page.
Fredrick Danysh
Father McAuliffe is tired and worn out and his faith is questioned. A young priest is sent to the parish by the Bishop who expects conflict between the two. But the priests become friends and set out to tackle the problems of the parish.
Valérie
Jul 11, 2014 Valérie rated it did not like it
I haven't finished reading it, I stopped at page 98. Too much blabla and no action. Well written but not my kind of book. And since I don't have a lot of time to read, I decided to take my free time reading a book I actually enjoy.
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2008
Ckm66
Ckm66 rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2010
Rmcgovern
Rmcgovern rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Anne Johnson
Anne Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
John Hanscom
John Hanscom rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2010
Kaethe
Kaethe rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2009
S Robinson
S Robinson rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Aunt Stephie
Aunt Stephie rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2008
Don B
Don B rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Nancy Jeffrey
Nancy Jeffrey rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2008
Karen Ballou
Karen Ballou rated it liked it
May 28, 2010
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Jerry Mrizek
Jerry Mrizek rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
Cheri
Cheri rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2009
Steve Vitucci
Steve Vitucci rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2009
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Bonnygainley
Bonnygainley rated it liked it
May 01, 2011
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2008
Janice Palko
Janice Palko rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Peggy Barnes
Peggy Barnes rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
  • Sundowner Ubuntu (A Russell Quant Mystery, #5)
  • Eleven Short Stories: A Dual-Language Book
  • Red Dust
  • It Began in Vauxhall
  • The Dom for His Alpha
  • Mare's Nest
  • The Treason of the Ghosts (Hugh Corbett, #12)
  • Guinevere
  • Finding Alpha (Silver Moon Wolves #1)
  • The Glass Coffin (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #8)
  • Maisie Dobbs Bundle #4: Elegy for Eddie and Leaving Everything Most Loved: Books 9 and 10 in the New York Times Bestselling Series (Maisie Dobbs Novels)
  • Flying to Nowhere
  • The Red Thread
  • The Selfless Way of Christ: Downward Mobility and the Spiritual Life
  • Red Weather
  • With Love
  • Red Ant House: Stories
  • Nebraska
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...