Start by marking “The Cardinal Virtues” as Want to Read:
The Cardinal Virtues

The Cardinal Virtues

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Continuing the return to form begun with St. Valentine's Night, Father Greeley's new work brings back the characters and milieu of his bestselling Cardinal Sins. Two good priests take on the forces of evil when they are confronted with a sinister secret organization within the church.
Hardcover
Published May 1st 1990 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Cardinal Virtues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cardinal Virtues

Joe
I definitely enjoyed this book. It was easy and quick to read, although the first couple chapters took some getting used to. The author's writing style was almost entirely of dialogue and thoughts of the main character, without any additional narration. All of the characters, the good and the bad, were very well developed and incorporated into the story. The author's insight into the life of a Priest and the workings of a Catholic parish are obviously credible, since that is what he is, and I th ...more
Joan Schrock
This is basically about the life and personal feelings of an inner city Catholic Priest who has been at it a number of years and has been sent a young, energenic Curate, who he refers to frequently as Mary Poppins. He is feeling his age and feels like he is being replaced but ends up becoming the newbie priest's ally and friend as they face the serious and frivolous problems of the school and church together. Andrew Greeley skillfully puts you in this congregation with it's joys and warts.
Valérie
I haven't finished reading it, I stopped at page 98. Too much blabla and no action. Well written but not my kind of book. And since I don't have a lot of time to read, I decided to take my free time reading a book I actually enjoy.
Shellie Sakai
Andrew Greeley brings out the good, the bad and the ugly in this Chicago neighborhood. Every emotion know to mankind is felt, by you the reader, through this story. I can't explain why I loved this book so much. It just made me want to stay friends with these people. To be a part of this parish, this neighborhood. To have the Old Priest and New Priest looking out for me. This is what a Catholic church should be, but, too often is not.
Katrina Roets
There's never been a book by Andrew Greeley that has disappointed me and this book was no exception. I loved how the dear Father dealt with the ongoing drama and excitement that occurred in his parish when Father "New Priest" joined. There was never a dull moment and it kept me turning page after page.
Fredrick Danysh
Father McAuliffe is tired and worn out and his faith is questioned. A young priest is sent to the parish by the Bishop who expects conflict between the two. But the priests become friends and set out to tackle the problems of the parish.
Rose
Jul 03, 2012 Rose added it
This book was hot, for a Catholic priest writer. Still good!
Vampiregirl14
Dont really like his style of writing.
Cws
Aug 28, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Gre
Emily
Emily added it
Jun 30, 2015
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Clarice
Clarice marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Diana Chirescu
Diana Chirescu marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
  • Vet Found (Hiding Hounds, #2)
  • Stolen Desires (Tri-Omega Mates, #4)
  • Nebraska
  • Red Baker
  • Finding Alpha (Silver Moon Wolves #1)
  • Flying to Nowhere
  • Red Ant House: Stories
  • The Dom for His Alpha
  • Red Weather
  • Jerome Bixby's the Man from Earth
  • The Treason of the Ghosts (Hugh Corbett, #12)
  • Sophia House
  • The Camerons
  • A God Against the Gods
  • Behold the Beauty of the Lord: Praying With Icons
  • It Began in Vauxhall
  • Red Dust
  • The Fisherman
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) The Cardinal Sins Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)