Start by marking “Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan, #7)” as Want to Read:
Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan, #7)

Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan #7)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  7 reviews
There have been ghostly happenings in the suburban parishes of St. Peter and St. Paul. But when Bishop Blackie Ryan comes to investigate, he discovers other strange occurrences that are far more earthly and condemning--like adultery, embezzlement, and murder.
Published December 1st 1995 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Happy Are Those Who Mourn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Are Those Who Mourn

Quillracer
I like this series. Greeley always tells a complex tale of murder – usually of the ‘locked room’ variety – that could be grim without Blackie Ryan’s affable nature to lighten the mood.

One problem I had with this book centered on the will of the dead priest whose murder is the core of this novel. His will is missing through a good portion of the book then suddenly appears in Ryan’s possession with no explanation how he found it (unless I missed the discovery).

Another one was Ryan and several oth
Ronn
This is the third or fourth of Greeley's Blackie Ryan books I have read. I like the character a lot. But it has already occured to me that while the stories are interesting, Greeley's writing is very formulaic and frankly, kind of ponderous. A character will make a statement, and then there will be several long paragraphs before there is a response. This can make for the need to go bacvk and re-read just to keep up with the conversation.

I will give one or two more books a shot [not right away],
Donald Harwick
It was typical Andrew Greeley's alter ego, Blackie Ryan. He does a great job of developing the other characters around Blackie, and keeps the story rolling. The multiple "major" characters revolve like a bicycle wheel with Blackie as the axle. The author, for the most part kept the story separate from the technical jargon of the church. A very good read.
Kate
Another charming Bishop Blackie book, recommendable to anyone interested in mystery novels (a la Poirot and Holmes), mystical Catholicism, charming (oops, there's that word again) characters, and delicious little twists of vocabulary. Nothing deep here, but a lovely way to spend a sick day.
Jim Hager
The mystery solution in Andrew Greeley books always seems to me to be based too much on facts not clearly established in the text. However, even with that shortcoming I still enjoyed this book. It not only presents a mystery, but also challenges my vocabulary.
David Ryan
I'm enjoying working my way through all the "Blackie Ryan" books...how could I not with a name like "Ryan". Andrew Greely is no longer with us, sadly. The books are light reading, fast. Usually a sort of book I read when I am inbetween others.
Donna
I don't really like this series as mysteries, but there is a lot of information regarding the Archdiocese of Chicago that I find fascinating.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
P
P added it
Sep 30, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Asa Nagatani
Asa Nagatani marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Maria Amicus
Maria Amicus marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Susanne Steinbock
Susanne Steinbock marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The White House Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #4)
  • The Song
  • The Reckoning
  • A Skeleton in God's Closet
  • Tic-Tac-Terror (Hardy Boys, #74)
  • The Private Life of the Cat Who... (Cat Who... SSC3)
  • The Wrong Rite
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • Conversations with Rabbi Small
  • Tanner's Virgin (Evan Tanner, #6)
  • Holy Bible: CEV - Contemporary English Version (CEV)
  • Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • A Christmas Peril (The Teacup Novellas #5)
  • The Avenging Saint
  • The Ravens of Blackwater (Domesday, #2)
  • By the Light of the Study Lamp (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #1)
  • House of Shadows (The Medieval Murderers, #3)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) The Cardinal Sins Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)