Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan, #7)

Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan #7)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  7 reviews
There have been ghostly happenings in the suburban parishes of St. Peter and St. Paul. But when Bishop Blackie Ryan comes to investigate, he discovers other strange occurrences that are far more earthly and condemning--like adultery, embezzlement, and murder.
Published December 1st 1995 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Happy Are Those Who Mourn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Are Those Who Mourn

Quillracer
I like this series. Greeley always tells a complex tale of murder – usually of the ‘locked room’ variety – that could be grim without Blackie Ryan’s affable nature to lighten the mood.

One problem I had with this book centered on the will of the dead priest whose murder is the core of this novel. His will is missing through a good portion of the book then suddenly appears in Ryan’s possession with no explanation how he found it (unless I missed the discovery).

Another one was Ryan and several oth...more
Ronn
This is the third or fourth of Greeley's Blackie Ryan books I have read. I like the character a lot. But it has already occured to me that while the stories are interesting, Greeley's writing is very formulaic and frankly, kind of ponderous. A character will make a statement, and then there will be several long paragraphs before there is a response. This can make for the need to go bacvk and re-read just to keep up with the conversation.

I will give one or two more books a shot [not right away],...more
Donald Harwick
It was typical Andrew Greeley's alter ego, Blackie Ryan. He does a great job of developing the other characters around Blackie, and keeps the story rolling. The multiple "major" characters revolve like a bicycle wheel with Blackie as the axle. The author, for the most part kept the story separate from the technical jargon of the church. A very good read.
Kate
Another charming Bishop Blackie book, recommendable to anyone interested in mystery novels (a la Poirot and Holmes), mystical Catholicism, charming (oops, there's that word again) characters, and delicious little twists of vocabulary. Nothing deep here, but a lovely way to spend a sick day.
Jim Hager
The mystery solution in Andrew Greeley books always seems to me to be based too much on facts not clearly established in the text. However, even with that shortcoming I still enjoyed this book. It not only presents a mystery, but also challenges my vocabulary.
David Ryan
I'm enjoying working my way through all the "Blackie Ryan" books...how could I not with a name like "Ryan". Andrew Greely is no longer with us, sadly. The books are light reading, fast. Usually a sort of book I read when I am inbetween others.
Donna
I don't really like this series as mysteries, but there is a lot of information regarding the Archdiocese of Chicago that I find fascinating.
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Susanne Steinbock
Susanne Steinbock marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Ani
Ani added it
Apr 03, 2014
Marie
Marie added it
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt...more
More about Andrew M. Greeley...
The Cardinal Sins Irish Gold (Nuala Anne McGrail, #1) Irish Lace (Nuala Anne McGrail, #2) Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail, #4) Irish Whiskey (Nuala Anne McGrail, #3)