Start by marking “Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan, #7)” as Want to Read:
Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan, #7)

Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan #7)

There have been ghostly happenings in the suburban parishes of St. Peter and St. Paul. But when Bishop Blackie Ryan comes to investigate, he discovers other strange occurrences that are far more earthly and condemning--like adultery, embezzlement, and murder.
Published December 1st 1995 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Happy Are Those Who Mourn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Are Those Who Mourn

Quillracer
Jul 16, 2013 Quillracer rated it liked it
I like this series. Greeley always tells a complex tale of murder – usually of the ‘locked room’ variety – that could be grim without Blackie Ryan’s affable nature to lighten the mood.

One problem I had with this book centered on the will of the dead priest whose murder is the core of this novel. His will is missing through a good portion of the book then suddenly appears in Ryan’s possession with no explanation how he found it (unless I missed the discovery).

Another one was Ryan and several oth
Ronn
Oct 03, 2013 Ronn rated it liked it
This is the third or fourth of Greeley's Blackie Ryan books I have read. I like the character a lot. But it has already occured to me that while the stories are interesting, Greeley's writing is very formulaic and frankly, kind of ponderous. A character will make a statement, and then there will be several long paragraphs before there is a response. This can make for the need to go bacvk and re-read just to keep up with the conversation.

I will give one or two more books a shot [not right away],
Donald Harwick
Aug 12, 2012 Donald Harwick rated it liked it
It was typical Andrew Greeley's alter ego, Blackie Ryan. He does a great job of developing the other characters around Blackie, and keeps the story rolling. The multiple "major" characters revolve like a bicycle wheel with Blackie as the axle. The author, for the most part kept the story separate from the technical jargon of the church. A very good read.
Kate
Jan 16, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another charming Bishop Blackie book, recommendable to anyone interested in mystery novels (a la Poirot and Holmes), mystical Catholicism, charming (oops, there's that word again) characters, and delicious little twists of vocabulary. Nothing deep here, but a lovely way to spend a sick day.
Jim Hager
Jul 26, 2012 Jim Hager rated it it was amazing
The mystery solution in Andrew Greeley books always seems to me to be based too much on facts not clearly established in the text. However, even with that shortcoming I still enjoyed this book. It not only presents a mystery, but also challenges my vocabulary.
David Ryan
Jan 25, 2013 David Ryan rated it liked it
I'm enjoying working my way through all the "Blackie Ryan" books...how could I not with a name like "Ryan". Andrew Greely is no longer with us, sadly. The books are light reading, fast. Usually a sort of book I read when I am inbetween others.
Donna
Dec 03, 2009 Donna rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I don't really like this series as mysteries, but there is a lot of information regarding the Archdiocese of Chicago that I find fascinating.
Michael Brown
Michael Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Christy
Christy rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Jessica Killingbeck
Jessica Killingbeck rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Christy Baker
Christy Baker rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Marion1961hs
Marion1961hs rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2009
Rob Letterly
Rob Letterly rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Cynthia Yates
Cynthia Yates rated it liked it
May 01, 2010
Tess
Tess rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Leigh
Leigh rated it liked it
May 13, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2010
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Zanne Baker
Zanne Baker rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Jason Storey
Jason Storey rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2012
Ashleigh
Ashleigh rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Y-vonn Teh
Y-vonn Teh rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Gin
Gin rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2009
Mickey
Mickey rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
William Fritz
William Fritz rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Jammies
Jammies rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2009
Delores Alger
Delores Alger rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2010
Whimsical
Whimsical rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Adversary: The Christian Versus Demon Activity
  • The Song
  • Water Walker - Episode 3
  • The Reckoning
  • Murder in a Mill Town (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #2)
  • Moonbeams and Magic (Saar, #4)
  • A Skeleton in God's Closet (Jonathan Weber #1)
  • The Devil's Apprentice
  • Little Bones (Cathy Connolly, #1)
  • Stoner's Crossing (Lone Star Legacy, #2)
  • Double Espresso (Loretta Kovacs, #2)
  • Maisie Dobbs Bundle #4: Elegy for Eddie and Leaving Everything Most Loved: Books 9 and 10 in the New York Times Bestselling Series (Maisie Dobbs Novels)
  • Dreaming of Elisabeth
  • Murder in Hell's Kitchen (Manhattan, #1)
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • The Topless Tulip Caper (Chip Harrison, #4)
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Blackie Ryan (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Happy Are The Meek (Blackie Ryan, #1)
  • Happy Are the Clean of Heart (Blackie Ryan, #2)
  • Happy Are Those Who Thirst for Justice (Blackie Ryan, #3)
  • Happy Are the Merciful (Blackie Ryan, #4)
  • Happy Are the Peacemakers (Blackie Ryan, #5)
  • Happy Are the Poor in Spirit (Blackie Ryan, #6)
  • Happy Are the Oppressed (Blackie Ryan, #8)
  • The Bishop at Sea (Blackie Ryan, #9)
  • The Bishop and the Three Kings (Blackie Ryan, #10)
  • The Bishop and the Missing L Train (Blackie Ryan, #11)