The Golden Crown

The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes #7)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  2,921 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Harry gets stranded on a Greek island in 73 A.D., with Micah, but get off with the help of a Fisherman. While Harry and Gidgiddoniah are trying to save Jesse and Mary from Epigonus, an evil Greek councilman, Gid is killed. Meagan and Garth take Apollus to the present day, and come back with Jim, Sabrina, and Steffanie to find Harry and meet John the Beloved and Mary, the m...more
Audio Cassette
Published 1999 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Crown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Crown

Erica (daydreamer)
Oh Apollus, you melt my heart with your hard core, studly, cocky Roman exterior, and your soft, romantic, insecure, yet powerfully strong and spiritual interior. If only you were real. And Gidgiddonihah, I miss you already. Though I know your story isn’t over yet. You’re my favorite character I have ever journeyed with. If you were real, you would be my favorite Book of Mormon hero. You are one brilliant, astounding Nephite, I wish there were more men like you. And Chris Heimerdinger, you mange...more
Heidi
I had not expected this book to go as it did--everyone getting involved and being everywhere. Having shot a year or two in the future. It was mind-boggling and still exciting to me. And the best part was the wonderful scene at the end. Again, I was made to think "What if...?" and really look at how the people in the scriptures were real--that there was so much more of their lives that never made it onto the pages of scripture.
Michelle
I've really enjoyed all of these books. They're not "Great Literature" but the stories are uplifting, exciting, inspiring, and educational, I've learned so much and felt so good while reading them. That, I think, is time well spent.
Steve
I like it that Harry was able to teach Micah and the others on the island. I learned that they don't make vases like they use to. Don't leave the Roman in the car.
Maddie Cromar
This is probably my most favorite book of the whole series! It was interesting and action-packed from the beginning to the end, and we finally get closure to the three book story arc that started with "The Sacred Quest."

Harry and Meagan (soon to be step brother and sister, if they can ever get back to modern times where their parents are engaged to get married)are separated once again and both propelled on amazing and highly entertaining journeys. Harry and Gid accidentally get picked up by slav...more
Lauren
Oh golly. At the beginning of these books I am always a little bit slow and kind of have to make myself read a little bit. Then it snowballs out of control, and by the end I'm crying and just a mess. And dying to read the next one. It's really not healthy.
Read a former review of this series for my criticisms, they are basically all the same. Except my issue with the italics. I don't know what it is about Heimerdinger writing in italics for Meagan's POV, which has it's faults, but I'm okay with...more
Jesse Whitehead
This book has gotten really ridiculous. I hope that things improve now that this tripartite story has been beaten to death.

The Golden Crown serves as an extended epilogue to the two previous books. This time Harry is the one who is missing. The problem is that the entire book seems to have no purpose. Harry gets shipwrecked on an island for three years – while only six months pass in his own time. Then he argues with some Greeks, meets Luke, throws in a gratuitous reference to Star Wars – someth...more
Hunter Hayes
*SPOILER ALERT*
This book is a historical fiction novel with surprising turns (despite the fact that some events get rather predictable). Every other book (up to book five) thought you could only go into Book of Mormon times (using the rainbow room), and all of a sudden they find a place (the galaxy room, a side tunnel off of the rainbow room) that takes you to new testament times. This is a great book in a great series, but if you are anything like me you will get quickly irritated at this book...more
08AustinC
The problem of this book is Harry and Gid are caught by gladiators and are accused of a crime agianst Rome. The setting of this book is in Rome in 70 AD. I don't think that the setting of this book could be anywhere else, or else it would be a whole different story. The main characters are Apolas-a young roman soldier Harry-a 15 year old mormon, and american Mary-Harry's future wife and also a mormon Megan Harry's younger sister and like Harry is a mormon. Summary:Harry and Gid were walking down...more
04mattl
The Golden Crown was a very exciting adventure story, which is the continuation of the last book in the series. Chris Heimerdinger is a very good author. He has written many books but I think that his best books have been the Tennis Shoes among the Nephites Series. The main theme in this book is, to trust your instincts and to rely on friendship to help you out in the end. The audience this book targets is mostly teens that like adventure stories, but I think anyone would like it.

In the Golde...more
Aaron Hubbard
More of the same "adventures" as the other books; kidnappings, people missing, easy escapes, Nephite warriors running around (yes there are Nephites are running around in a book set in the apostate New Testament). The creative limitations of the author are evident the longer this series goes.

This was one of the better books in the series and it puts an end to the story of the previous two books. One thing that has bugged me about these books is the time difference between the ancient and modern...more
Dad
Heimerdinger does a marvelous job of mixing things up and is so imaginative to bring in so much illustration of the times he portrayed and relating it to the scriptures. He is a master writer. I like his using two fonts to say when either Meagan is speaking or Harry. The Schytian warriors were cool. Also, his illustration of how the false prophet operated and how apostacy can come about so quickly was a masterpiece and helped me see why Christ's Church was dismantled but he also adds that the i...more
02AmandaL
I thought that is was a Faboulos book. It is about two teens that go on an adventure to find Harry's sister's true love. The only thing is that he does not live in the same time period as they do. He lives back among the nephites. His name is Marcos. Harry and Meghan are so deperate to find him because Melody (Harry's sister) is very sick and might die. As they set out on this quest, Harry meets poeople from the past. Some good, and some very very bad. They face many life or death situations. It...more
Lisa
The conclusion of Megan and Harry's adventures in Israel, the book begins with Harry being sold into slavery, and Megan forced to go back to the modern world for help. When she returns with reinforcements, it is only to discover that things have changed drastically from when she left. While Harry struggles to survive and to complete his mission there, Megan and his family struggle to find him.

I thought it was a great way to tie up the story line that had been progressing for the past 3 books. It...more
Kerrin  Mountcastle
When it says hanging on the edge of your seats, it can actually get quite literal with this one! Keep going!! AMAZING
Shantel
I actually "read" these on CD in my car. They are awesome, addicting, and uplifting.
Frank
The Seven Churches: 5
The Lost Scrolls: 4
Silversword: 4 (The reason is it is a 4 is it's too
much like the 60's.
The Feathered Serpent book 1: 5
" " " " 2: 7 (I know, I know. It only goes to 5.
This was the best of the books in this
series so far!)
The Golden Crown: 5 A really good bood. 2nd to Seven
Churches.

Hailey Gregg palagar
In this book, we discover that Harry has been trapped on the Island for quite some time. He is rescued, and then the adventure begins. He finds that marry has been kidnapped. The gang reconvene and try to save her. This one was a tear jerk-er.

I appreciated the story line answering a lot of questions for me in this book. It was a lot of fun to see the characters in new places. The ending left me wanting but the next book helped sate some of that hunger.
Greg
Mildly entertaining. Like the other books in the series, it is really directed at a young teenager (or younger) age group. I read this and subsequent books in the series at the insistence of my daughter who was a big fan. Though I enjoyed them, I appreciated them even more because they served as a catalyst for discussing related doctrinal concepts and concerns with my daughter, and later my son.
Mackenzie
Harry finds himself seperated from his friends and family abord a slave ship. Meanwhile megan and Garth are forced to leave him to go get help and supplys in the modern world, accoumppied with them comes Apollus, confused by the new world, they come back to the Roman world with Jim, Sabrinia , and steffine to find that the world of the Romans was no how they left it.
Charissa
This is book 3 that concludes the adventure of Meagan and Harry (or so you think). Awesome ending to the story and I loved the fast-paced plot and all the places they visit. I love the author notes to help me know what is real and the research done behind each event or place in the story. Classic LDS fiction that I'll love forever.
Oscar
I keep wondering why anyone would go back in time with so much possible danger there. I don't think I would.

The story does seem to go on and on but I keep wondering what is going to happen next. And I keep enjoying the adventure.

I have already started the next in the series and will probably read all of the series.
Rebeccah Mildenstein
Historical fiction still, but cute love story. I really loved the part about Harry when he spent 3 years on an island with 19 other men teaching them the gospel. It was a great interpretation and example of how missions may have gone back in Greek times.
Ashley
This was by far one of my more favorite books. The story began in the last book with Meagan and Harry. In this book it continues and every one of the characters I know and love from the older books joins in.
Melissa
LOVE this series! The Book of Mormon takes on a hold new light. Amazing read the whole series never gets old. Adventure, romance, spirituality! I would recommend these to 12 and up because of the violence.
Vernon Ray
I gave this three stars because I don't remember which one this is exactly, but I remember enjoying it. If I read it again . . . likely . . . perhaps I'll give a more exact review.
Karen Madril
It states at the end it will continue but the Author said when I seen him at a movie showing that he was not writing more that means they are all stuck in the desert of another time.
Aaron
Good. Books 5-7 were kind of one continuous story so they should be reviewed together. Good. Fun. Etc. These books sometimes make missionary work look too easy.
Jeni
All Books by Chris Heimerdinger are exciting and an easy read. I always enjoy them. Its been a while since I've read them, but I always love the adventures they unveil.
Kirsten
Loved meeting Apollos! What a wonderful character! All the characters have a unique voice and I am loving the stories and adventures they are pursuing.
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown, #2)
  • Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children, #4)
  • Alma (Book of Mormon, #2)
  • Hazardous Duty (Duty Series, #1)
  • Where Angels Fall (The Great and Terrible, #2)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 7: The Impending Storm
  • Meet Your Match
Chris Heimerdinger is an author and member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) who has presently written sixteen adult and young adult novels, most of which center on religious themes familiar to LDS members. Most are published with Covenant Communications in American Fork, Utah. One title, A Return to Christmas was also picked up by Random House/Ballantine in 1995. When the t...more
More about Chris Heimerdinger...
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites (Tennis Shoes, #1) Feathered Serpent, Part 2 (Tennis Shoes, #4) Gadiantons and the Silver Sword (Tennis Shoes, #2) Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3) The Lost Scrolls (Tennis Shoes, #6)

“We are the farmers of the future. If we desire all the gifts of God, if we seek to win the Golden Crown, we can't just sit back and watch. We have to make it happen.” 14 likes
“Were all on a golden journey-every one of us. A journey inspired by golden dreams, and at the end awaits a golden crown of righteousness....please remember that every step is to be cherished. Every single one...” 12 likes