Start by marking “Killing Cassidy (Dorothy Martin, #6)” as Want to Read:
Killing Cassidy (Dorothy Martin, #6)

Killing Cassidy (Dorothy Martin #6)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  281 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Now that Dorothy Martin has proved to the good folk of Sherebury, England, that she's more than adept at sleuthing, what might be more natural than for her to bring her skills back home to the United States?Dorothy returns to Hillsburg, Indiana, to claim a small inheritance and a large problem. Kevin Cassidy has left her some money and a letter suggesting that if he dies, ...more
Published November 1st 2000 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about Killing Cassidy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Cassidy

Ellen
Killing Cassidy by Jeanne M. Dams.

Dorothy Martin and husband Alan Nesbitt are on a vacation of sorts. They're visiting Dorothy's hometown Hillsburg, Indiana. It's not just another vacation in which they can put their feet up and take it easy. It seems Dorothy's old and dear friend Kevin Cassidy has died and left her in his will. that's not all he's left her.

Kevin Cassidy has also left a letter for Dorothy regarding his murder. He believed someone was trying to kill him and he wanted Dorothy to i
Rebecca Douglass
May 21, 2013 Rebecca Douglass rated it really liked it
Summary: This is book 6 in the Dorothy Martin mystery series, and sees Dorothy returning to her old home in Hillsburg, Indiana, with her new husband (retired police chief Alan Nesbitt). The occasion is the death of an old friend, and Dorothy and Alan are shocked to find he has left a letter indicating that if he is dead, someone has murdered him. He doesn't know who, doesn't know why, but knows that someone has been trying to kill him, and would she please find out who. Naturally, they do.

Review
Marcia
Dec 28, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle, library, x2014
Some readers following the Dorothy Martin series rated this installment lower than others. Yes, it does take place in the United States (Indiana)--a bit of a departure. However, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about how Dorothy and her husband, Alan Nesbitt, working together to solve a crime with no clues and very little information to start with. The story provided so many insights into Dorothy and Alan's relationship.

Opening Lines:
"Alan, look at this"
I waved the letter I held in my hand. One of t
Bonnie
Oct 18, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Jeanne Dams has completed another murder mystery in her Dorothy Martin series and it is a good one. She is settling into her four-hundred-year-old home in Sherebury, England and her husband has retired from the police force when she receives a letter from an old friend in her former home of South Bend, Indiana asking for her assistance in solving a threat on his life. The problem is that he is dead and his will provided funds for her to travel to South Bend and solve his murder. So, Dorothy and ...more
Lori McD
2.5-3 stars

I truly enjoyed having husband Alan Nesbitt along for this mystery. He and Dorothy are very good together, and they play well off of one another. And I enjoyed that the story setting took place back in Dorothy's hometown -- she was able to put a few of the last ghosts of Frank to rest, including his lab at the University and the home Frank & Dorothy shared.

The premise is good: an old professor friend, Kevin Cassidy, dies of pneumonia. Along with notification of his death, Dorothy
Anne Hawn Smith
Jun 26, 2009 Anne Hawn Smith rated it really liked it
Jeanne Dams books are always good. She has good characters and the plot is always interesting. None of them take too long to read and there isn't usually much gore either.

This book takes place in the town she grew up in and involves people that she and her first husband knew at the college where he was a professor. Dorothy and her British Inspector husband have come to Indiana when she receives a letter from the estate of an old friend from the college. He was a professor and microbiologist in
Kathy
Apr 23, 2014 Kathy rated it it was ok
I chose this book to read because it was set in Indiana and therefore would work for NancyNova's state challenge.

I have never read this author before, and apparently the book was #6 in a series. Although it worked as a stand alone book, there was nothing that made me want to go back and read the rest of the series. Boring, would be a good word to describe it.
Cynthia Maddox
Jul 21, 2015 Cynthia Maddox rated it it was amazing
I just love Ms Dams books. She writes well and her stories are amusing. They fun, fast reads with likable characters.

This particular one is the first one I recall having an issue with. For some reason, and I couldn't put my finger on why, it seemed to drag. Maybe it was just me. Overall, I liked it.
Madelyn
Dorothy Martin, a sleuth from the U. S. now living in England travels back to Indiana because of a small inheritance she receives from an old friend. A delightful cozy.
Alice
Feb 24, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
back in America

Change is constant

Alan is very supportive
Clyde Ruth
I really enjoyed this cozy mystery....want to read more!
Judym
Oct 18, 2014 Judym rated it liked it
Nice little mystery.
Addie Martinez
Sep 18, 2011 Addie Martinez added it
Recommends it for: to older folks and young of course
Recommended to Addie by: on her list
Another adventuress book that kept me on the edge of my seat. Got some history there too. I just love the child in Dorothy and Alan. They are not ashamed to express their feelings on being a kid again. So young at heart those two are. So much love and respect between them. Looks like Dorothy has a new homeland.
Carrie
Jul 29, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
This was cute. Dorothy returns to her hometown of Hillsdale Indiana after having lived in England for three years. I like how the author portrayed the culture shock she felt, and her confusion about what it meant to be 'home'. And of course there was the attendant mystery as well.
Nan St.Michael
Aug 28, 2015 Nan St.Michael rated it really liked it
A pleasantly tame mystery. I really enjoy Dorothy and Alan, a 60 something couple who always put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Sherri Russell
Oct 07, 2013 Sherri Russell rated it really liked it
It has been awhile since I read a book in this series - I forgot how much I enjoyed Dorothy Martin. A very nice read - characters and situations that one can believe. I have already placed a few more of the series books on-hold at the library.
Tacey
May 13, 2013 Tacey rated it really liked it
This story pulled me in quicker than the others in this series as it takes place in Indiana, one state away from where I grew up. I live in a different state now and know just how Dorothy felt going "home" and no longer belonging.
Sheri
Apr 05, 2010 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Killing Cassidy: A Dorothy Martin Mystery (Jeanna M. Dams)

A perfect who-dun-it Agatha Christy Style. A great all night read.
Kept me guessing until the end. Great read for mystery lovers.
Judy
A change of location - Dorothy is back in her home town with husband Alan Nesbitt and of course, murder presents itself! She has become my new favourite murder solver!
Jeanette
This was a good read. I enjoyed reading as Dorothy finds the truth about her friend. She is a great book character, and I will keep reading the series.
Leslie
Jul 26, 2011 Leslie rated it it was ok
More than a 2 but less than a 3, Dams' Dorothy Martin revisits her hometown in the US and solves a mystery along the way.
Linda
May 22, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Great mystery. Love the fact that the hero is in her 60s; lots of fun.
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries, indiana
Slow pacing makes for a leisurely read.
Jane
Allana
Allana added it
Jun 26, 2016
Avalynlacy
Avalynlacy rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Jeanne Collins
Jeanne Collins rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
  • Puppet For A Corpse
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Maigret and the Reluctant Witnesses
  • Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16)
  • Skinner's Ghosts
  • Death By Sheer Torture (Perry Trethowan, #1)
  • Canapés for the Kitties
  • The Alpine Pursuit
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • The Tale of Briar Bank (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #5)
  • Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
  • Emily Dickinson Is Dead (Homer Kelly, #5)
  • That Way Murder Lies (Mitchell and Markby Village, #15)
  • The Cape Cod Mystery (Asey Mayo, #1)
  • Killer Knots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #9)
  • All Fall Down
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Move a Mountain (Grub-and-Stakers Mystery, #1)
Jeanne M. Dams lives in South Bend, Indiana. The Body in the Transept, which introduced Dorothy Martin, won the Agatha Award for Best First Novel. Dams is also the author of Green Grow the Victims and other Hilda Johansson mysteries published by Walker & Company.
More about Jeanne M. Dams...

Dorothy Martin (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Trouble In The Town Hall (Dorothy Martin, #2)
  • Holy Terror In The Hebrides (Dorothy Martin, #3)
  • Malice In Miniature (Dorothy Martin, #4)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
  • To Perish In Penzance (Dorothy Martin, #7)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Winter Of Discontent (Dorothy Martin, #9)
  • A Dark And Stormy Night (Dorothy Martin, #10)
  • The Evil That Men Do (Dorothy Martin, #11)