Start by marking “Green Eyes (Family Storytime)” as Want to Read:
Green Eyes (Family Storytime)

Green Eyes (Family Storytime)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Caldecott Honor winning illustrator, A. Birnbaum has captured the childlike wonder of each season in this 1953 picture book. Green Eyes, the curious kitten, ventures beyond his familiar big red box and greets spring, summer, fall, and winter—each with their unique colors, scents, and feelings. Children will delight in discovery with Green Eyes as he ventures out and cozies ...more
Published May 15th 2001 by Golden Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Green Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Eyes

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFlotsam by David WiesnerMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
List for #nerdcott
206th out of 327 books — 33 voters
The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon ScieszkaMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansBlueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskeyDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsStone Soup by Marcia Brown
Caldecott Honor Books
151st out of 238 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky B
Sep 03, 2014 Becky B rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool and Kindergarten teachers, those teaching about seasons
Green Eyes the cat tells readers about what her first year of life, and her different activities in the different seasons.

The artwork in this is simplistic, but that did not stop kids from absolutely loving the story when I used it as a read aloud during library time. There was always a line of holds for it afterwards. It's a nice book to use when talking about different seasons (at least typical seasons of climates that have 4, our students are always mesmerized by this since Thailand only has
Jess
A kitten describes what took place over the past year. Basically seasons and some hanging out in a box.

The illustrations are large, which is nice for groups.
This was an okay story about a cat's first year through the seasons.
Hilary Yastrum
This pictures in this book were very colorful and detailed. The pictures were painted with watercolor, so they were very peaceful and relaxing images. The book tells the story of a cat as she matures and experiences her first year through the seasons. I read it to the girl I was babysitting for and she loved seeing the different changes in weather like the snow and sun. This is a great book that teaches that as you grow up you do not have to give up everything that you enjoyed doing as a kid, su ...more
MeganRdg3320
I really enjoyed this book because it's about a cat telling it's own story about the adventures it endures along its way over it's life over a year. This story deals with similes as well as it talks specifically about the different seasons throughout the year. This book would be most appropriate for K-1st grade because it's an easy reader. After reading this book in the class you can have your students make a season picture book describing the things that they most like to do during that season. ...more
Paul
(This book probably gets a star-boost among cat lovers.) The energy and impressionistic quality of the illustrations make the story glide through the year of a cat and the cycle of seasons of that year. The book feels a little dated, but it's hard to believe this was done in 1953 - sixty years old now - standing the test of time well, especially when compared with other books from the era. Even for those with cat ambivalence, this is worth reading.
Rachel
This was a very cute story about a white cat growing up from kitten to a 1 yr old cat, noticing the changes in winter and personal abilities as she grows up. The book won a 1954 Caldecott Honor. It has very large brightly colored black-outlined painted illustrations that are very simplistic and kids can relate to easily, as it looks like something a child might do. Recommended for ages 1-6, 3 stars.
Tony Divan
4yr old daughter really liked the pictures and text.
Ed
Very cute, colorful pictures, and a fun, easy read. Some of the animals are a bit odd looking for my taste, but the illustrations capture the spirit of the story well, and it was well liked by my 9 year-old son. I really loved the vibrancy of the colors, which is unusual compared with other Caldecott books of this era.
Cathy Blackler
I was 5 years old and in kindergarten when I read this book for the first time. It was the first book I checked out of the school library. I can only surmise that I remember this because of the exhilaration I must have experienced at the prospect of having the ability to make this decision all on my own. Book Love, indeed.
Susan
big old-fashioned kind of gentle animal book. Even the texture of it appealing. Purchased the only copy available to me through library - a paperback. Wouldhave preferred the giant hardcover but happy to even find this gem still in print. Something to keep an eye out for at used booksales.
Courtney Bowman
This book talks about a kitten living through the different seasons. The kitten tells the reader the activities that it does throughout each season.

I would want my students to read this book to talk about the different seasons and to show that you can still play outside with anything.
Snorkle
A fairly simplistic story, yet I found myself drawn to the bright, bold colors of the illustrations. I thought it was a little repetitive, but other then that, a nice book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Kate
A classic that my grandmother read to me. I associate it with winter. Trying to find a copy for the boys!
Lorna
1954 Caldecott Honor

Favorite Illustration: The cat in the meadow of flowers

Favorite line: "When the sun was shining, my box was moved outside. The blue sky was my ceiling."

Kid-appeal: High! Despite being published 60 years ago, this book has a very modern feel to it.
Anna
I really like this book! C does too. My only problems with it are I do not like to promote having cats roam outdoors, and cats shouldn't be fed milk. But this is what was done in 1953, and the book is really sweet.
Paula

A cat recalls favorite experiences from each season of its first year of life, from struggling to get out of its cozy box in the spring, to snuggling by the radiator in the cold of winter.
Sonya Huser
Caldecott Honor from 1954
really good for younger kids; bright bold colors. Story about the first year of a kitten's life (named Green Eyes) and the changing seasons as he grows up.
Iris
Apr 18, 2009 Iris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Iris by: Uptown Chicago public library on Ainslie
Shelves: visual
Radiant watercolors and sinuous personality, published 1953 but timeless in spirit: a cat tells her story of experiencing the seasons while growing up in nature and at home.
Karren
Received this as a gift and read it to my nephew - it is a very charming introduction to the seasons through the eyes of a kitten growing into a cat. I love the illustrations!
Brindi
1954 Caldecott honor

A very nice story about a green-eyed cat & it's seasonal activities. I'd still share this with the kids.
Michelle
I don't know that this book is anything special, but it sure does have a lot of nostalgia from my childhood.
Mbrooke
Caldecott Honor Book from 1954. Fiona enjoyed the pictures, especially the kitty on the front.
Jennifer Hortman
I remember this one from my youth. I still need to find it for Madeleine.
Lafcadio
A kitten's first year of life — from the perspective of the kitten.
Margot Jennifer
2 year old really enjoyed this one. I thought it was okay.
Lisa
Beautiful illustrations and a lovely, simple story.
Colby Sharp
I love the little kitten trying to climb out of the box.
Laura5
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Wash Roebling's War: Being A Selection From The Unpublished Civil War Letters Of Washington Augustus Roebling