Start by marking “Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World” as Want to Read:
Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World

Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World

A brilliant mix of vivid reportage, history and science. Historical diving bells, greek sponge divers, world war two frogmen and record-setting breath hold divers compete for space with misunderstood sharks, weeping turtles, smiling dolphins and erotically shaped sea slugs. From Ireland to Florida, Papua New Guinea to Vienna and the Bahamas to Seychelles, Neutral Buoyancy ...more
Paperback
Published May 30th 2002 by Penguin (first published June 7th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Neutral Buoyancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neutral Buoyancy

DW
May 21, 2012 DW rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
This book was a collection of chapters on seemingly random diving topics, from ancient Greeks to a detailed description of the qualities of the sponge through the development of modern scuba equipment the stories of current free-diving record-holders, interspersed with stories of the author's own diving experiences. The book didn't cover enough ground to be comprehensive, but at the same time it covered several topics I wasn't interested in (nearly-dead community of Greek sponge divers in Florid ...more
Ken Sparta
Jan 23, 2008 Ken Sparta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok I have to admit that anything diving related currently moves to the top of my book pile. This was a great one though. It is well written and will appeal to non-divers as well. Ecott does a great job of weaving the history of the sport with passionate descriptions of his dive adventures. If you dive you need to read it. If you get excited when John Mcphee writes a new book you will enjoy it. If you have a Horvathian interest in rats......You should borrow it next time you visit.
Nathan
Nov 01, 2009 Nathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: franklin-library
The subject matter is surprising in its power to evoke, and Tim Ecott makes good use of his personal diving experiences, aptly conveying the near-zen of being underwater. This personal reflection, though, is combined with a history of diving, which Ecott doesn't handle as well. The facts are dense and packed together, so that following along is a chore. A decent book that would have been better with a little more focus.
Luke Johnson
I'd easily give it a 3.5, actually. This book is good and well worth reading, even for someone who, like me, has never been diving. There are a lot of fascinating facts and lovely descriptions of underwater adventures. Quite well written too. But it drags in parts. (I could go 4 stars, but I'm trying to be stingier in my ratings.)
Alice Florence
Jul 14, 2015 Alice Florence rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-shelf
Really interesting historical stories mixed with some nice stories from his own diving experiences. probably need to be a diver to get the most from it otherwise the historical bits might not have been quite as good as I found them to be. loads of stuff in it that I mean to look further into
ALX
Sep 29, 2011 ALX rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ALX by: Dad
the chapter about diving for sponges and the industry of sponge gathering and selling in florida was really interesting. the rest of the book was boring and had way too much about his personal feelings while diving.
Melissa
History of diving interwoven in the author's memoir. Could have done without as much memoir and more of the history of diving.
Dorothy
Aug 09, 2011 Dorothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything to do wih the ocean or water, so this book was another interesting read for me. It had detailed information which I did not expect and enjoyed.
Derek
Nov 20, 2012 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a diver I believe this is a book by a diver for a diver. Without any experience in the water it is nearly impossible to related to Tim Ecott's experiences.
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2007
Roly
Roly rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Philippa
Philippa rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Barbaros
Barbaros rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Emily Steele
Emily Steele rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Liv
Liv rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2009
Tessa
Tessa rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Jonathan Ely
Jonathan Ely rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Katryna
Katryna rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2008
John Fenemore
John Fenemore rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Brian Youngstrom
Brian Youngstrom rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2010
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2011
Andrej Spec
Andrej Spec rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Naren Gunasekera
Naren Gunasekera rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011