Start by marking “What to Read: The Essential Guide for Reading Group Members and Other Book Lovers ” as Want to Read:

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Compiled by editor, lecturer, and interviewer Mickey Pearlman. What to Read offers a lifetime supply of annotated, intriguing, and original book lists. Designed for reading club members who need new ideas and book lovers who want to know about wonderful contemporary and classic books that they may have missed, What to Read features thoughtful and unusual lists, such as:

•Ev
Published 1994 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about What to Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Read

Megan
I've never been part of the book club crowd or understood its appeal, so this is quite probably an excellent resource for book clubs, either those trying to get started or trying to give themselves a fresh kick. Possibly because I'm not a book club person, I shouldn't have looked at a book list for book clubs and expected much, but I just thought a what-to-read list would be universal, whether intended for groups or individuals. I thought wrong. I found the whole book pretty banal. Half the stuf ...more
Mary Bronson
A little outdated. I found this at my local library and decided to check it out. Found some titles interesting and wrote them down. Other than that it was okay.
David
This is just a long, long, categorized list of books for book clubs to read. The book opens with some discussion and advice about book clubs in general, but I don't think that the book is enormously valuable or anything. It does have some sentimental value, though, because my buddy Jason gave it to me.
Donna Siebold
This book was published in 1994, at this point - 2012 - it seems so dated as to be essentially obsolete. I was trying to get ideas for how to spark interest in our library's book groups. I found almost nothing of value here.
Kennedy
Rather dated--published in 1994 so many books from 92 & 93 that didn't end up having staying power. Nancy Pearl's book suggestion books are much better.
Risa
"What to Read: The Essential Guide for Reading Group Members and Other Book Lovers by Mickey Pearlman, Ph.D. (1994)"
Etta Mcquade
So, do I like book lists? Aha, even when I can think of many better books than recommended.
Dana Resch Lopez
My to-read-list just gained about 300 new titles, hahah.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Chris Schmidt
Chris Schmidt marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Leslie
Leslie added it
Dec 29, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Aug 28, 2014
Evalyn
Evalyn added it
Aug 27, 2014
Roberta
Roberta marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Aug 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Author Biography: Mickey Pearlman, Ph.D., is an editor and lecturer. She is the editor of A Few Thousand Words About Love, A Place Called Home, and Between Friends; the author of Listen to Their Voices; and the co-author of A Voice of One's Own.

More about Mickey Pearlman...
A Place Called Home: Twenty Writing Women Remember Between Friends Pa Voice of One's Own Pa A Few Thousand Words about Love Listen to Their Voices Pa