Start by marking “August” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  31 reviews
This compelling story explores the lives of two women in contemporary New York: a psychologist and her patient. August portrays their parallel lives in a moving portrait that will mean many things to each of its readers in many startling ways.
Mass Market Paperback, 557 pages
Published August 27th 1984 by Warner Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about August, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about August

I checked the copyright date on this one, because I felt like it had a very late 70s feel. I'm probably right; it was published in 1983. On the one hand, that made it feel rather cliched to me, but on the other hand, when viewed from an "it was an era" perspective, it was also rather interesting.

I felt sorry for Dawn the vast majority of the book, but at the same time I wanted to tell her, "ASK THE QUESTIONS!" I felt as if she would just man up and ask Vera (or anyone else) the questions that a
This is one of the all-time, hands-down, best novels ever written about psychoanalysis. Dawn, a brilliant, artistic college student is still emotionally crippled and self-destructive after four years of treatment with an incompetent therapist when she’s referred to the office of Dr. Lulu Shinefeld, a 40-year-old Manhattanite, who’s own life is a chronicle of bad judgement and accommodation. Gradually, the women work together to uncover the mystery of Dawn’s disease. Dawn is haunted by her own ar ...more
I forced myself to read at least 100 pages of this book, thinking surely I would get into it at some point because the premise of the analyst and her patient, Dawn, sounded interesting. Finally I acknowledged this just isn't my cup of tea, since I lose patience with all this talking in sessions that doesn't seem to have any point or relevance....
Read this years ago. Cant remember much of it, but I remember I liked it.
Didn't really like the melodrama but it was still... educational. I also thought this novel could've been condensed into a lot less than 400 pages. It's all dialogue, more or less, with the occasional chapter from the psychologist's point of view, and I was more interested in her story than Dawn's, so that kind of bugged me.
Agosto è il mese in cui gli analisti vanno in ferie (per mia esperienza, di solito, cominciano a luglio e finiscono a settembre: ma tant'è, si sa che gli americani sono stakanovisti).

Facendo un confronto con "Un paese di madri" di A.M.Homes (si tratta di due scrittrici che raccontano entrambe un rapporto più o meno professionale tra psicoterapeuta donna matura e giovane paziente donna), e usando il sistema brevettato da Andy Luotto, Rossner 'buono', Homes 'no buono
Mar 30, 2009 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessie
Recommended to Katie by: Cathy
Shelves: novel
I thought that this book was just ok overall. Certain aspects of the main characters, Dawn and Dr. Shinefeld, really annoyed me. There were also parts of the book that I thought were downright boring. That said, I thought that it was interesting that the feel of the early 80s really came through in this book. I could just picture Dr. Shinefeld in a power suit. The struggle of being a woman and breaking societal roles was pervasive.

As far as Dawn's analysis goes, I was annoyed with her a good por
Joseph Griggs
After reading "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" and "Perfidia," I was really looking forward to reading this, but, alas, it is quite a slog. After 200 pages, I must take a well-deserved break. Neither one of these women is particularly interesting, and Dawn is one of the most irritating literary characters in history. I don't think I can stand to read "Dawn burst into tears" one more time. We know she bursts into tears, Ms. Rossner. She does it every few seconds, like breathing.
Wow, am I glad I grew up in the era of cognitive behavioral therapy instead of Freudian analysis! The story of a young woman and her female analyst was an interesting read, mainly to see how dated everything seemed. I never bothered to look at publication date and see if this was written in the era or was a painstakingly researched look at 1970s New York pop culture. However, the characters do grow and change emotionally, which is always a sign of an intelligent writer.
Fabiola Strange
Absolutely fantastic. Excellent portrait of real psychoanalysis and the stories of both the patient and therapist. For those who have experienced psychotherapy in real life, this book will keep you reading on an on. Also, we learn that therapists themselves don't always have a perfect life and in fact they struggle with their own.
Jun 28, 2007 Jeremy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people I don't like very much
Slog city. I wanted the characters to jump out of the book and track me down some fake people with personalities. Make themselves useful instead of blah blah blalglbglb. What led me to read the whole thing, I cannot be called upon to surmise. I should be nicer to me than that.
I couldn't really get into it. I got about halfway through, and I had to move on to another book. Maybe later I'll try to finish it, but it just moved way too slowly for me. I guess I'm just not into reading the back and forth between a doctor and her patient.
This is definitely a different book. I kept thinking where's this "story" going. Well, like real life, it has no neatly wrapped up package. It gives the inside feelings of both a psychoanalyst and her patient. It has a lot of male versus female aspects.
Jul 25, 2008 Thu rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in psychotherapy; people interested in romance
Recommended to Thu by: the faculty of my graduate school program
Shelves: fiction
I rather enjoyed this book's depiction of the client-psychologist transference relationship. The sessions were well-written and interesting to me, since I am studying to be a therapist. However, I found much of the actual plot sluggish and somewhat boring.
Kevin A.
Written from the point of view of the analyst, it is a bit of a patient's fantasy of what their doctor is doing when they're gone on vacation. And also what the patient might mean to the doctor. Very seventies, but moderately interesting nonetheless.
Nov 26, 2007 Stephy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not
Maybe it is just me, but I think I have had a belly full of people who think the story of their psychotherapy is interesting to someone besides them. That said, this is still a moving story, well put together.
Holly Weiss
This is a remarkable story of two women, a girl and a psychoanalysis but it reads wth the suspense and intensity of a thriller and a sensitivity to pain and women's lives that is rare. I loved it.
I read this book in my young adulthood, before I became a psychotherapist. I loved it then. I would love to read it again and see how 20 years and my career have changed my perspective.
Quite a good novel. Amazing account of a therapeutic relationship with a parallel story of events in the therapist's personal life. Judith Rossner was an amazing mind.
Gina Barnett
My most favorite story of a woman's relationship with her therapist who goes on vacation for two weeks every August.
Ann Rhodes
I read this book in the 80's and really can't remember too m uch time out it. I remember it was good at the time.
Excellent window into a therapist's office. Recounted with a reporter's attention to detail.
An amazing dialogue between therapist and patient - best I have ever read.
a book about a therapist, her client and the parallel process of being lost.
A much better version of Prince of Tides without the Southern angst.
one of my favorites - i keep reading and re-reading this book.
Jacque Roller
Great read for a somewhat realistic jouney through psychotherpy.
Michele St John
August by Judith Rossner (1983)
  • Original Bliss
  • The Truth About Lorin Jones
  • State of Grace
  • Her First American
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • Virgin Soul
  • The Hungry Self: Women, Eating and Identity
  • The Furies
  • Secret Survivors
Judith Perelman Rossner was an American novelist, best known for her 1975 novel Looking for Mr. Goodbar, which was inspired by the murder of Roseann Quinn and examined the underside of the seventies sexual liberation movement. Though Looking for Mr. Goodbar remained Rossner's best known and best selling work, she continued to write. Her most successful post-Goodbar novel was 1983's August, about t ...more
More about Judith Rossner...
Looking for Mr. Goodbar Emmeline Perfidia Attachments Olivia