Start by marking “The Letters of John (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)” as Want to Read:
The Letters of John (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)

The Letters of John (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)

John R. W. Stott offers comment on the Letters of John.
Published February 1st 2007 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Letters of John, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letters of John

Brandon Wilkins
Mar 03, 2017 Brandon Wilkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent commentary of 1-3 John. I used it as I preached through 1 John. Even as I listened to sermons from other Reformed ministers on 1 John, I could tell they had used this book too. So, it's a very good resource for studies in John's epistles.
Steve Hazell
May 08, 2017 Steve Hazell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is solid. Thorough yet not so scholarly that it is beyond the reach of most readers. Stott always gives solid insights and approaches the text faithfully and from every angles. Highly recommended.
lori hoad
Mar 10, 2016 lori hoad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always had trouble with the extreme positions of the letters of John (anyone who sins is not from God, etc.). This commentary helped me see the balance and answered some of my questions. Particularly I will take away a deeper sense of the seriousness of sin (I read the beginning of this commentary at the same time as Don Everts book "The Smell of Sin" which was really helpful in further illuminating the severity of sin) and a glimpse at understanding the balance between truth and love.

"If
Peter Krol
Aug 02, 2014 Peter Krol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commentaries
I will read any commentary by John Stott. There might be only a few I haven't read yet, and this was my second time through this one. But I will read him anytime, anywhere.

Some commentaries fail to illuminate the text. They spend hundreds of pages on word studies and etymology and historical usage of terms, but they fail to get at the author's main points and flow of thought. (I think of F.F. Bruce and Leon Morris as some chief examples here: good theologians and historians, but not the best com
David Holford
Jul 09, 2013 David Holford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Use this as the principle commentary to teach through 1 John. Stott relies heavily upon Robert Law's The Tests of Life: A Study in the First Epistle of St. John from 1909, available in full in pdf on the internet. I found a combination of Stott and Law to be quite useful. In the more difficult passages of 1 John, Stott provides a good range of alternative views and argues persuasively for his own positions.
Gerald
Jan 08, 2016 Gerald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-list
A very accessible, and reasonable-length commentary on the Letters of John. I learned a lot from Stott's reflections, and he did a fair job interacting with the views of other (and, I assume, more technical) commentaries. I appreciated the shorter length also, but it also meant less depth of discussion on some of the finer points, or on application to today.
Glenn
Jul 17, 2014 Glenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with all of John Stott's commentaries, the Letters of John are exegeted with clarity, exposited with insight, and made pastorally practical. You don't get much better than Stott for giving the reader a fresh, understandable, and thoughtful explanation of John's Letters. The pastor or layman will not go wrong using this short, but insightful work. Highly recommended
Nate Walker
Aug 31, 2013 Nate Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seems like any time Stott has a commentary on a book, it makes preaching that book all the easier. This is no exception. Obviously written for pastors, many sample sermon outlines suggested by his comments. Helpful.
Tim
Mar 15, 2010 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Stott is the man. He pastors, writes commentaries, theological works, apologetics . . . This is a first rate commentary. Great scholarship, utterly readable, pastoral in tone. Highly recommended!
Axekickr
Dec 23, 2014 Axekickr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief but clear. Best lay commentary on John's epistles that I know of.
David
Oct 08, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very readable, helpful, and applicable commentary on John's Letters.
Josh
Feb 17, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripture
Excellent commentary.
Matt Chapman
Apr 14, 2015 Matt Chapman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
So helpful for understanding and teaching from John's letters. Classic Stott!
Chris Comis
Plenty of good exegetical insights into the Epistles of John.
Russ Skinner
Quite enjoyable. I read it in tandem with two other commentaries, and Stott more than held his own.
Peter N.
Apr 08, 2014 Peter N. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stott is one of my favorite writers. He is clear, thoughtful and not given to speculation. This is an excellent commentary on John's Letters for anyone who is preaching through them or studying them.
Mark Spence
Mark Spence rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2016
Rodders
Rodders rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Shawn Wild
Shawn Wild rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Richard Trimble
Richard Trimble rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Army-mom
Army-mom rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Kevin Thumpston
Kevin Thumpston rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Drew Peterson
Drew Peterson rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Heather Hughes
Heather Hughes rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2017
Eric Sauder
Eric Sauder rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Robert Paquette
Robert Paquette rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2012
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Romans
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Letter of James (The Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Book of Revelation
  • Genesis (Tyndale Old Testament Commentary, #1)
  • Acts (The Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • Paul's Letter to the Philippians
  • The Epistles of Paul to the Colossians and Philemon (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • Luke
  • Hebrews (The NIV Application Commentary)
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • Joshua: No Falling Words
  • The Gospel According to John I-XII (Anchor Bible Series, Vol 29)
John R. W. Stott is known worldwide as a preacher, evangelist and communicator of Scripture. For many years he served as rector of All Souls Church in London, where he carried out an effective urban pastoral ministry. A leader among evangelicals in Britain, the United States and around the world, Stott was a principal framer of the landmark Lausanne Covenant (1974). His many books, including Why I ...more
More about John R.W. Stott...

Tyndale New Testament Commentaries (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Matthew  (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Mark (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Luke (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • John (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Acts (The Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • The First Epistle Of Paul To The Corinthians: An Introduction And Commentary
  • The Second Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians
  • Galatians (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Ephesians (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)