Start by marking “City of the Gods” as Want to Read:
City of the Gods

City of the Gods (Stargate SG-1 #4)

When a Crystal Skull is discovered beneath the Pyramid of the Sun in Mexico, it ignites a cataclysmic chain of events that maroons SG-1 on the dying world of Xalotcan, a brutal society, steeped in death and sacrifice, where the bloody gods of the Aztecs demand tribute from a fearful and superstitious population.
Published September 1st 2006 by Fandemonium Books (first published January 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about City of the Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of the Gods

Kellyanne Lynch
Mar 01, 2014 Kellyanne Lynch rated it liked it
** WARNING FOR SPOILERS **

Stargate SG-1: City Of The Gods is probably the worst Fandemonium book I've read so far, although it's MUCH better than any of the books in Ashley O'Connell's series. So far, Stargate SG-1: Siren Song is my favourite, with Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary a close second. City Of The Gods was okay, but I didn't find myself savouring it like I did the other books. For one, it's hard to get into a story when you're having a hard time pronouncing the names. The book draws heavi
Robin Green
Oct 09, 2015 Robin Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stargate
This book combined SG-1 and crystal skulls and Aztec and Mayan histories. So I loved it. The only part I didn't like was the way they started it. It started with Carter at the Pentagon after the mission. After reading two books that dealt with time travel, I started to get nervous. Then it appeared like it was going to be one of those stories with alternate universes. But no. Once you read completely through to the end, you discover what happened after Carter came back from the Pentagon to the ...more
Johnny Martin
The first SG-1 novel I read, the great big shining Mesoamerican pyramid on the coverart having attracted me! I enjoyed this story, as it was fun to see the team embark on an adventure relating to Mesoamerican culture and mythology. Also loved the connection with the crystal skulls. I thought it was very clever of the author to detail the history of the ancient city of Teotihuacan and the Mayan calendar, etc. at the beginning, which he then ties in nicely with the Stargate Universe cannon to ...more
Beezus
Sep 13, 2014 Beezus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book except, there's explaining, and then there's explaining. The book gets weighed down by the author's giving of far too much information regarding ancient Aztecs. Yes, we need tounderstand some aspects of the culture in order to understand what our heroes are facing but...ad nauseum. It is a good adventure going on around the history lesson though. Teach me, but don't give me a class that I wouldn't take if it were free.
Wanda Seet
Aug 09, 2011 Wanda Seet rated it liked it
Only halfway through the book and I'm already pulling out my hair! My brain and eyes hurt, my neurons and synapses are crying out for mercy!

Unless you are Daniel Jackson or are very familiar with ancient/Aztec history, you'll probably find it difficult to remember/pronounce the names. The plot on itself is not that bad. It's just that the names are driving me insane!
Mark
May 26, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
SG-1 discovers a brutal society with Aztec roots and learn much more about the origins of the Crystal Skull encountered in a previous mission. Sonny Whitelaw captures the essence of the SG-1 team and presents some entertaining science in the process.

Published in mass-market paperback by Fandemonium Books.
Miss Clark
Nov 25, 2008 Miss Clark rated it did not like it
Well, I would not recomend this one, but I do have to say that I appreciated the fact that Whitelaw brought Nick back into the story and the some of the storyline from the episode "Crystal Skull." Just wish that she could have actually done something with the material. As it is, this one fell really flat.
Ami_Ven
Jul 18, 2012 Ami_Ven rated it liked it
I love books in a series where the author has clearly read previous books and/or watched the show they're based on. This has both, with a fantastic story based in Aztec/Mayan mythology. The Aztec names are a little difficult at first, but Jack proves a handy "how-to-pronounce" guide along the way :)
R W Todd
May 31, 2011 R W Todd rated it it was amazing
Ever since the conception of Star Gate I have been a loyal fan. I've read most of the books and when I finally read this it was too good to be true.
It actually felt real and it read as if it was a feature film. I really enjoyed it. Good work Sonny
Pat Hauldren
Feb 02, 2015 Pat Hauldren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun meso american offworld adventure

I really enjoyed the Meso-American tie-ins and the appendix by Jackson at the end was a nice touch. Would love to see more like that. And without giving it away, I did tear up in spots. Nicely done
Adam
Jul 27, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book; it finishes off the storyline first seen in the Season 3 episode 'Crystal Skull'. It delves into the mythology of the Crystal Skulls and the alien race that created them a lot more in a way that doesn't disappoint.
Dustin
Sep 01, 2012 Dustin rated it it was ok
Shelves: modern, tie-in, sci-fi
This wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but I found it getting a little long by the end. I felt the characterization was pretty good and I would still recommend it to a fan of the series.
Catherine
Not my favorite book in the series. I like how the author brought Daniel's Uncle Nick back and included him in the story.
Ryan Lake
Ryan Lake rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Ravenwolf Burke
Ravenwolf Burke rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Nea
Nea rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2013
FirePony
FirePony rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2011
Vampiress_demitri
Feb 28, 2011 Vampiress_demitri rated it it was amazing
great book series ^^
John Betts
John Betts rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Annemieke
Annemieke rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Vincent F
Vincent F rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Minerva
Minerva rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Walter
Walter rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Danny White
Danny White rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Susan Roitmire
Susan Roitmire rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2008
Jillian
Jillian rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2007
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
  • Sacrifice Moon
  • Four Dragons
  • Sunrise
  • The Power Behind the Throne
  • Stargate Atlantis: Angelus (Stargate Atlantis, #11)
  • Valhalla
  • Stargate Atlantis: Entanglement (Stargate Atlantis, #6)
  • The Price You Pay (Stargate SG-1 #2)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War (Stargate Atlantis, #7)

Stargate SG-1 (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Trial by Fire
  • Alliances
  • Roswell
  • Relativity
  • The Barque of Heaven

“The Goa’uld use the pyramid form as landing platforms and to channel power through their ships.” 0 likes
“Do not adjust the controls on your television set. The creeped-out feeling you are experiencing is all in your mind.” 0 likes