Start by marking “Stargate Atlantis: Rising (Stargate Atlantis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stargate Atlantis: Rising (Stargate Atlantis, #1)

Stargate Atlantis: Rising (Stargate Atlantis #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Atlantis will rise again… Following the discovery of an Ancient outpost buried deep in the Antarctic ice sheet, Stargate Command sends a new team of explorers through the Stargate to the distant Pegasus galaxy. Emerging in an abandoned Ancient city, the team quickly confirms that they have found the Lost City of Atlantis. But, submerged beneath the sea on an alien planet, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 220 pages
Published November 23rd 2007 by Fandemonium Books (first published December 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Stargate Atlantis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stargate Atlantis

Forrest Parkyr

Rising by Sally Malcolm followed the events of the pilot episode of Stargate: Atlantis. I found it to be a brilliant novel even if read by itself. It lends well to the TV Series, as it has some scenes in its pages that were not on the small screen and the introspection in the characters gave you a deeper understanding of their actions.
Even though I knew what was going to happen in the novel, I still found myself wanting to turn the pages; Rising helped me get to know the main characters of the
Julie

This book won’t disappoint if you’re a fan of the show, and it ended up surprising me n how well done it was. In fact it was pretty much a carbon copy of the episode from the TV series, with the extra dialog and “scenes”, and some insight to what some of the characters are thinking, how and what they feel about other characters and certain events and things around them, which you don’t really get a lot of detail in from watching the show. I loved having one of my favourite shows in my hands in b
Writerlibrarian
it was surprisingly good.It had all the good oneliners of the pilot.. like "he's Canadian... I'm sorry" exchange especially when Shanks is Canadian and so is Hewlett and Torri.
It has all the scripts parts and added layers of what's going on in their heads.. like .. the exchange between Jack and Daniel after Jack arrives at the base after escaping the drone.. the exchange goes.. "Warm welcome" Daniel goes .. wasn't me... we all knew watching.. yeah this time.. well, that's in the book. The whole
MiniSagas
Summary: Stargate Command sends a multi-national team of explorers on a possible one-way mission to the Pegasus galaxy. They are in search of the Lost City of Atlantis and a hoped for wealth of knowledge and technology. Things go wrong, naturally.//

Hmm, well, I've never much liked novelizations of film and television episodes and I've never really loved spin-off/tie-in novels (yet somehow I frequently find myself reading them), but I think I actually preferred reading Rising to watching it. Exce
Jenette
I'm a huge fan of Stargate and went into this with a heavy dose of trepidation. The beginning of Atlantis is one of my all time favourite moments from the Stargate universe. To see it here in words, expanded with new "scenes" and to get the opportunity to see inside the characters heads made it even better. Not to mention that, as a die hard John/Teyla fan getting to see how he first thought of her is pretty fun. An excellent companion to the show.
Brian
I've been looking for the Stargate books for awhile. I know they aren't the best examples of literary fiction, but I loved the TV show and wanted to read the books so I could continue the adventures.
Stargate Atlantis: Rising was basically a retelling of the first ever episode of the show with the same name. Not much new was added and nothing changed. But it reminds you of the characters and is a good stating point to get back into a series that I loved when I was younger.
Kati
Let me tell you, this book A-awesome! Sally Malcolm really understands the characters, and their inner monologues and thoughts are quite revealing and hilarious at the same time too. She nailed Jack O'Neill and John Sheppard perfectly. Their wry humor, the laid back attitude... Her McKay is convinced that the universe is out to get him, that for some reason, fate hates him personally. Teyla is a wise, thoughtful leader. And even Weir and Ford are likable! My favorite part of the book/episode is ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
This is was the first book in the Stargate Atlantis series. It's call Rising like the first episodes on the Stargate Atlantis TV series. I thought that by reading this novel I would gain something more. But movies's tie in (in these case series's tie in) are a two way street. They either give something new or do not. The other books on these series are not base in any tv series so they give us something new. This one did not. It gave nothing new. And I mean nothing. The lines on the series are t ...more
Denise
Novelization of the first Atlantis episode, giving some additional insight into the characters' minds during the series pilot. Great job!
Kellyanne Lynch
I enjoyed reading the scenes that were left out of the pilot. It was a good read.
Annie
Of course every fan knows the story of 'Rising' because it's nothing else than the novelization of the pilot episode from 'Stargate Atlantis'. Still it's a very good book. There are a few scenes in it that weren't in the episode because they changed them before airing. Plus you get the thoughts of the characters which, obviously, you never get in the episode.
Well yeah, a great book and a 'must have' for every Altantis fan.
Lexi
Ťažko sa mi hodnotí, pretože je to len prepísaná úvodná časť seriálu, takže som ju neustále mala pred očami. Obsahuje však pár scén navyše, v pamäti mi utkvelo lúčenie ešte na Zemi. Kniha je písaná z pohľadu všetkých hlavných postáv, dosť často sa však striedajú a môže to byť trochu mätúce. Ale celkovo nemám čo vytknúť, pre fanúšika seriálu možno trochu zbytočné, ale občas je fajn si niečo prečítať miesto pozerania.
Ami_Ven
I love novelizations of movies & TV shows, because they always have so much more detail than can fit on the screen. The author shifts points-of-view frequently, which gives us an inside look at each of the characters' thoughts. I particularly liked the bits with Col. Sumner, which gave me a better idea about his character than we got in the episode.
Jamie
I had a hard time getting into this book at first since I already knew what was going to happen... But about halfway through I noticed I was having a harder time putting it down. Aside from the author referring to the "Athosians" as "Ethosians", I thought it was pretty good and that it was pretty much in character.
Shaun
I'm glad I took an evening to read this novelized pilot episode. There was a lot of background thoughts of characters which I enjoyed the insight of. I plan on going through and reading all 20+ of these books. I'm glad I decided to not skip this pilot.
Miss Clark
It is a decent novel of the events that take place in the pilot of the tv series "Stargate Atlantis," but it doesn't add anything more to the story, mores the pity. Nothing special. Just watch the pilot.
Brenda
Follows the SGA pilot plot very closely. This was probably my least favorite of the SGA books I've read so far, and it had a lot to do with the writing style.
Annette
A very good adaptation of the pilot. All the characters read true to me.
Angela
not as good as i expected but i love john sheppard nonetheless
Erina
Great for what it is - fanfic. made me nostalgic for the show.
Foggygirl
The novel follows very close to the script.
Rachel
A quick fun read
Shadow
Shadow marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Cuzzcuzz
Cuzzcuzz marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
  • Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Exogenesis (Stargate Atlantis, #5)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Mirror, Mirror (Stargate Atlantis, #9)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War (Stargate Atlantis, #7)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Angelus (Stargate Atlantis, #11)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (Stargate Atlantis, #4)
  • Stargate SG-1: Sacrifice Moon (Stargate SG-1, #6)
  • Stargate SG-1: Alliances (Stargate SG-1, #12)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Brimstone (Stargate Atlantis, #15)
  • Stargate SG-1: The Barque of Heaven (Stargate SG-1, #15)
  • Stargate SG-1: Siren Song (Stargate SG-1, #10)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Dead End (Stargate Atlantis, #12)
  • Hunt and Run (Stargate Atlantis, #13)
  • Allegiance  (Stargate Atlantis, #18)
Sally Malcolm lives in London, England, in a small Victorian terrace, where she writes in a corner behind the wardrobe. She shares her home with her American husband and two wonderful children, who generously put up with her sailing the high seas or exploring the dark forest of Sherwood when she’s meant to be cooking their supper…

More about Sally Malcolm...
Stargate SG-1: A Matter of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #7) Stargate SG-1: The Cost of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #9) Stargate SG-1: Gift of the Gods (Stargate audiobooks series 1.1) Stargate Atlantis: Perchance to Dream (Stargate audiobooks series 1.4) Stargate SG-1: Savarna (Stargate audiobooks series 1.5)