Start by marking “Stargate Atlantis: Rising (Stargate Atlantis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stargate Atlantis: Rising (Stargate Atlantis, #1)

Stargate Atlantis: Rising (Stargate Atlantis #1)

Atlantis will rise again… Following the discovery of an Ancient outpost buried deep in the Antarctic ice sheet, Stargate Command sends a new team of explorers through the Stargate to the distant Pegasus galaxy. Emerging in an abandoned Ancient city, the team quickly confirms that they have found the Lost City of Atlantis. But, submerged beneath the sea on an alien planet, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 220 pages
Published November 23rd 2007 by Fandemonium Books (first published December 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Stargate Atlantis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stargate Atlantis

Rosie Amber
Feb 25, 2016 Rosie Amber rated it it was amazing
Rising is the initial story about the Stargate discovery of Atlantis, and was used as one of the TV episodes. There are a few differences between the book and the TV showing because of filming some of the scenes. However fans of the series will instantly rediscover the thrills the team had making their way to a new galaxy.

The Ancients left a clue for others to find in a place which over millennia became buried under miles of snow and ice, after a recent huge showdown with Apothis the Stargate te
Forrest Parkyr
Apr 22, 2013 Forrest Parkyr rated it it was amazing

Rising by Sally Malcolm followed the events of the pilot episode of Stargate: Atlantis. I found it to be a brilliant novel even if read by itself. It lends well to the TV Series, as it has some scenes in its pages that were not on the small screen and the introspection in the characters gave you a deeper understanding of their actions.
Even though I knew what was going to happen in the novel, I still found myself wanting to turn the pages; Rising helped me get to know the main characters of the
Apr 12, 2016 Angela rated it liked it
I'm on a Stargate kick, and I'm so glad I've finally started reading the books.

Rising is based on the script for the Stargate Atlantis pilot, so I feel as though there's not much I can review without an original story by the author. In any case, I did enjoy reading what I think were scenes that didn't make the final cut, although I'm only 100% sure about one of them not being there. (Elizabeth Weir is my favorite character, so new dialogue - or an inner monologue - from her was awesome to read.)

This book won’t disappoint if you’re a fan of the show, and it ended up surprising me n how well done it was. In fact it was pretty much a carbon copy of the episode from the TV series, with the extra dialog and “scenes”, and some insight to what some of the characters are thinking, how and what they feel about other characters and certain events and things around them, which you don’t really get a lot of detail in from watching the show. I loved having one of my favourite shows in my hands in b
it was surprisingly good.It had all the good oneliners of the pilot.. like "he's Canadian... I'm sorry" exchange especially when Shanks is Canadian and so is Hewlett and Torri.
It has all the scripts parts and added layers of what's going on in their heads.. like .. the exchange between Jack and Daniel after Jack arrives at the base after escaping the drone.. the exchange goes.. "Warm welcome" Daniel goes .. wasn't me... we all knew watching.. yeah this time.. well, that's in the book. The whole
Jan 05, 2009 MiniSagas rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, novelization
Summary: Stargate Command sends a multi-national team of explorers on a possible one-way mission to the Pegasus galaxy. They are in search of the Lost City of Atlantis and a hoped for wealth of knowledge and technology. Things go wrong, naturally.//

Hmm, well, I've never much liked novelizations of film and television episodes and I've never really loved spin-off/tie-in novels (yet somehow I frequently find myself reading them), but I think I actually preferred reading Rising to watching it. Exce
I'm a huge fan of Stargate and went into this with a heavy dose of trepidation. The beginning of Atlantis is one of my all time favourite moments from the Stargate universe. To see it here in words, expanded with new "scenes" and to get the opportunity to see inside the characters heads made it even better. Not to mention that, as a die hard John/Teyla fan getting to see how he first thought of her is pretty fun. An excellent companion to the show.
Jul 12, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
I've been looking for the Stargate books for awhile. I know they aren't the best examples of literary fiction, but I loved the TV show and wanted to read the books so I could continue the adventures.
Stargate Atlantis: Rising was basically a retelling of the first ever episode of the show with the same name. Not much new was added and nothing changed. But it reminds you of the characters and is a good stating point to get back into a series that I loved when I was younger.
Emily Ross
Sep 10, 2016 Emily Ross rated it really liked it
This is a novelisation of the first episode of Stargate Atlantis, the TV programme. It was great in the way it gave introspection to each character, allowing for multiple points of view in regards to the same scene. It also allowed for a much deeper understanding of the characters, especially Colonel Sumner, who I found a rather difficult character to guage from the two episodes he is in the show for.
Sep 04, 2008 Kati rated it it was amazing
Let me tell you, this book A-awesome! Sally Malcolm really understands the characters, and their inner monologues and thoughts are quite revealing and hilarious at the same time too. She nailed Jack O'Neill and John Sheppard perfectly. Their wry humor, the laid back attitude... Her McKay is convinced that the universe is out to get him, that for some reason, fate hates him personally. Teyla is a wise, thoughtful leader. And even Weir and Ford are likable! My favorite part of the book/episode is ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
This is was the first book in the Stargate Atlantis series. It's call Rising like the first episodes on the Stargate Atlantis TV series. I thought that by reading this novel I would gain something more. But movies's tie in (in these case series's tie in) are a two way street. They either give something new or do not. The other books on these series are not base in any tv series so they give us something new. This one did not. It gave nothing new. And I mean nothing. The lines on the series are t ...more
Jun 27, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Novelization of the first Atlantis episode, giving some additional insight into the characters' minds during the series pilot. Great job!
Kellyanne Lynch
Mar 01, 2014 Kellyanne Lynch rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the scenes that were left out of the pilot. It was a good read.
Rosina Rushen
Nov 03, 2015 Rosina Rushen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not like the tv series

There is a lot of different changes on tv compared to the book. But it is still a great read
Feb 25, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing
Of course every fan knows the story of 'Rising' because it's nothing else than the novelization of the pilot episode from 'Stargate Atlantis'. Still it's a very good book. There are a few scenes in it that weren't in the episode because they changed them before airing. Plus you get the thoughts of the characters which, obviously, you never get in the episode.
Well yeah, a great book and a 'must have' for every Altantis fan.
Aug 17, 2013 Lexi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ťažko sa mi hodnotí, pretože je to len prepísaná úvodná časť seriálu, takže som ju neustále mala pred očami. Obsahuje však pár scén navyše, v pamäti mi utkvelo lúčenie ešte na Zemi. Kniha je písaná z pohľadu všetkých hlavných postáv, dosť často sa však striedajú a môže to byť trochu mätúce. Ale celkovo nemám čo vytknúť, pre fanúšika seriálu možno trochu zbytočné, ale občas je fajn si niečo prečítať miesto pozerania.
Jul 17, 2015 Craterdweller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stargate, owned-books
Faithful adaptation

A faithful adaptation of the pilot episode with slightly more emphasis on the chemistry between Teyla and Sheppard as revealed by his thoughts. Some nice moments early on with Jack O'Neill.
May 14, 2012 Ami_Ven rated it liked it
I love novelizations of movies & TV shows, because they always have so much more detail than can fit on the screen. The author shifts points-of-view frequently, which gives us an inside look at each of the characters' thoughts. I particularly liked the bits with Col. Sumner, which gave me a better idea about his character than we got in the episode.
Mar 11, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
I had a hard time getting into this book at first since I already knew what was going to happen... But about halfway through I noticed I was having a harder time putting it down. Aside from the author referring to the "Athosians" as "Ethosians", I thought it was pretty good and that it was pretty much in character.
Jul 20, 2013 Shaun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I took an evening to read this novelized pilot episode. There was a lot of background thoughts of characters which I enjoyed the insight of. I plan on going through and reading all 20+ of these books. I'm glad I decided to not skip this pilot.
Miss Clark
It is a decent novel of the events that take place in the pilot of the tv series "Stargate Atlantis," but it doesn't add anything more to the story, mores the pity. Nothing special. Just watch the pilot.
Apr 28, 2011 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Follows the SGA pilot plot very closely. This was probably my least favorite of the SGA books I've read so far, and it had a lot to do with the writing style.
Sep 26, 2010 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2010-reads
A very good adaptation of the pilot. All the characters read true to me.
May 23, 2014 Angela rated it liked it
not as good as i expected but i love john sheppard nonetheless
Oct 26, 2014 Erina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great for what it is - fanfic. made me nostalgic for the show.
Jun 28, 2010 Foggygirl rated it really liked it
The novel follows very close to the script.
Oct 16, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: popular-fiction
A quick fun read
Mark Coutu
Mark Coutu rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
The Cyber Hermit
The Cyber Hermit rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2016
Hannah Kim
Hannah Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
  • Stargate Atlantis: Entanglement (Stargate Atlantis, #6)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Mirror, Mirror (Stargate Atlantis, #9)
  • Exogenesis (Stargate Atlantis, #5)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War (Stargate Atlantis, #7)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Angelus (Stargate Atlantis, #11)
  • Sacrifice Moon
  • Stargate Atlantis: Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • Nightfall (Stargate Atlantis, #10)
  • Alliances
  • Siren Song
  • Stargate Atlantis: Dead End (Stargate Atlantis, #12)
  • The Barque of Heaven
  • Stargate Atlantis: Brimstone (Stargate Atlantis, #15)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Hunt and Run (Stargate Atlantis, #13)
Sally Malcolm lives in London, England, in a small Victorian terrace, where she writes in a corner behind the wardrobe. She shares her home with her American husband and two wonderful children, who generously put up with her sailing the high seas or stepping through the Stargate when she’s meant to be cooking their supper…

More about Sally Malcolm...

Stargate Atlantis (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • The Chosen (Stargate Atlantis, #3)
  • Halcyon (Stargate Atlantis, #4)
  • Exogenesis (Stargate Atlantis, #5)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Entanglement (Stargate Atlantis, #6)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Casualties of War (Stargate Atlantis, #7)
  • Blood Ties (Stargate Atlantis, #8)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Mirror, Mirror (Stargate Atlantis, #9)
  • Nightfall (Stargate Atlantis, #10)
  • Stargate Atlantis: Angelus (Stargate Atlantis, #11)