Start by marking “The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)

The Dreamer (Highland Treasure #1)

Beginning with The Dreamer, May McGoldrick's Highland Treasure trilogy captures the lives and loves of three Scottish sisters. Now, meet Laura... The Enchantress...Fleeing persecution from the English king, the three Percy sisters scattered to different corners of Scotland. But when the level-headed Laura found herself abducted by the fearsome Laird of Blackfearn, all her ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Onyx Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dreamer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreamer

Lady Darcie Guenon
May 30, 2011 Lady Darcie Guenon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: Flame
We met John Stewart, Earl of Athol in Flame. Now he's back with problems of his own not only does his future bride cheat on him, he ends up marrying the person who had no entention of marrying,he also finds that he has a half-brother. It seems that things couldn't get any worse....or so he thought.
Catherine Percy was on a mission and that mission was to stay away from those who wish to do harm to her, but when she finds herself in the arms of a man she has never met but is attracted to she knows
Anne
Mar 30, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
I did not read these three books in order, but still found them all exceptionally good. Three sisters whose father had been murdered by the king are hidden by their mother in Scotland. Catherine perry goes to the Earl who has promised to watch over her, but ends up marrying him. She wants to start a school, and finds that her new husband is willing to let her try this. meanwhile, the same people who killed her father and from whom their mother is hiding are after her and her sisters to find a le ...more
Paula Berinstein
This is another of those books in which the writing is highly flawed and yet the storytelling is so good that I don't care. I absolutely devoured it and recommend it to anyone who loves a romantic, sexy historical adventure.
Chandra
Feb 05, 2011 Chandra rated it it was ok
AUTHOR:
First time reading a book by May McGoldrick. I really did not like this book. WHY? I felt that I was the script of a play. While there was ROMANCE, it was pretty blazay. The book did nothing to make my romantic juices roar.

SYNOPSIS
Story takes place in Scotland. John Stewart is about to marry Ellen, but instead forces Catherine Percy who is only interested in starting a school. Catherine is a very proper and well educated English woman. John finds out he has a half brother, Adam of the Gl
Elizabeth Bennet
Oct 06, 2014 Elizabeth Bennet rated it really liked it
I loved the couple but felt it was rushed because of all the mischief that is jam packed in the book. Family secrets, sluts, bastards, virgins, villains, monks, bitter old woman, forgiveness and love are bulging from the pages. The love builds but the surrender comes sooner and in non traditional manner but variety is the spice of life. The couple marries early on which I liked as well as communication between the two. So there is not long drug out misunderstandings and although determined not t ...more
LadyCalico
Apr 25, 2013 LadyCalico rated it really liked it
As a romance/adventure, this novel was interesting, but since it was just part of a trilogy, it made a frustrating read as a stand alone book. It never quite gave the reader enough information on the "treasure" to appreciate what was going on, and it did not offer enough closure to make a satisfying ending.
Cindy
Jun 16, 2017 Cindy rated it really liked it
I was recommended this book by a woman I met in a used book store.

I really enjoyed the pace and story line of this book. The characters actually grew and developed, you wanted to know more about them. I pan to read the two follow books as well. (I bought all three of the books that day in the book store.Just wish now I could remember the ladies name so I could Thank her again.)

Catherine is from a well to do family but that all changed the day King Henry decides he is the leader of the catholic
Jeanne Johnston
Better than most of the genre, mostly because I wasn't distracted by laborious attempts to fake a Scottish brogue all the way through. The main characters were a bit crusty and set in their ways but their conflicts weren't so obnoxious that you couldn't believe they'd ever be attracted, and their attraction always defused their arguments in favor of better pursuits.

Likewise, his family drama ended up nicely resolved. Yes, stories like this usually have conflict because of secrets or assumptions
Katie
May 31, 2017 Katie rated it it was amazing
Learning to trust...learning to love. This is another great story. Starting out with deceptive characters, that lead John and Cat into each other's bed unknowingly, the adventure of their love affair begins. This story is filled with suspense, holy greed, and the finding long, lost family and love. Highly recommend.
Chrystal Mayo
Dec 23, 2016 Chrystal Mayo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Complete joy to read. Loved the characters and their story! I read this in 2 days and if I had anything bad to say it would only be that I wish it was longer so I could continue enjoying it!
Nicolette Clark
Jun 15, 2017 Nicolette Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learn

Learning to trust, learning to love, learning to be happy. A tale of multiple characters learning the truth and learning to accept the past. An amazingly enchanting story.
Rebecca
Jun 01, 2017 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
Mixed feelings. Relationship initially very sexual, but it does develop. A lot left unresolved. But liked MC and a significant plot element is resolved. Low 3
Constant Reader
Good story. Moved along nicely. The characters could have been fleshed out a little better. Catherine was always two steps ahead of John which made him look dumb. In reality she didn't share all the information she had. That irritated me. Story would have been just as good if they had worked in concert.
Tracy
Nov 18, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! When I read Flame, I wasn't sure if I liked the writing style of these authors, but I did like the story and I wanted to read John's story. I am so glad I did. The issue I had with the authors referring to the characters by different names was not a problem in this book.

John Stewart, the Earl of Athol has his hands full. His lands are being ruthlessly raided by an outlaw named Adam of the Glen, his mother is "dying" and he is getting married.

Catherine and her sisters are on
Catherine Furfaro
Dec 18, 2016 Catherine Furfaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main reason why I love this book, not just because it was well written, but the heroine is named Catherine, it's set in Scotland, and the hero resembles Sam Heughan....

description

Set in the time of King Henry VIII, Catherine Percy is on the run. Escaping England, she travels to Scotland under the sanctuary of a Highland earl, John Stewart.
A case of mistaken identity, on thing leads to another, and they are both quickly wed. At first I was curious as to how he could mistaken the identity of his betrothe
Stacey is Sassy
Mar 11, 2015 Stacey is Sassy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5 stars**

I love a good Highlander romance and this one wasn't too bad. We have a laird who is about to marry a woman, who he does not love and has no plans to love, meet a woman...not his intended, in his bed. This leads to a slight change of plans. A different wife.

This new wife of his is going to send him crazy. Catherine's always getting herself caught up in danger and he is starting to stress about her. She was supposed to be a good quiet wife who sat still and did what she's told...ha h
Sandra
Dec 21, 2016 Sandra rated it it was ok
With so many good books and so little time, don't waste it on The Dreamer. Where to begin? The dialogue is sophomoric, some characters are introduced or rather just appear seemingly from nowhere with no back story or real introduction, e.g. Sir Arthur Courtenay, the king's lieutenant something or other. Throughout all the so-called action I struggled to finish this book. It actually put me to sleep a few times. The contrived plot with all its machinations is just not believable. Also, the suppos ...more
Clara Babinski
Jan 05, 2015 Clara Babinski rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and loved catching up with characters from Heart of Gold and Flame. It was well written and I love that the writers continue to build from characters introduced in earlier books. It is a wonderful chance for the reader to catch up with old friends while becoming attached to new characters as well. I can't wait to read The Enchantress to discover more about this mysterious highland treasure! I highly recommend these books to anyone who likes Scottish historical roma ...more
Pauline
Jun 26, 2013 Pauline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une histoire intéressante qui me donne envie de lire les deux autres tomes ...
Ici j'ai plus été émue par l'histoire familiale des personnages que par l'histoire d'amour elle-même qui se perd un peu dans le récit
Je suppose que c'est surtout dû au fait que ce livre est un Tome 1 et que du coup l'histoire doit se mettre en place pour la suite
Disons que c'est prometteur pour les deux autres Tomes !
Jackie
Jan 20, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Amazing read I had not read this yet. This story fair exceeds the quality of Bertrice Small's book Kadin! Ms Small who in my option is one of the best in the genre, but this was something new fresh and wow!So Now I have two #1 writers for this genre! I am speechless great job well written..plotted ...characters are realistic!The scenery description was vivid and I felt like I was there seeing it. It almost felt taboo. I will recommend this to my closest friends who like this kind of read.
Barbara
May 03, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it
Strong, independent heroine turning her warrior husband 's life upside down. Initially wed to save the heroine's reputation, our hero ends up struggling to keep his headstrong wife safe and protect her life.
Madiha Ansari
Dec 31, 2014 Madiha Ansari rated it liked it
It was an Okay read. I wouldn't give it 5 stars. I am more of a Julie Garwood Highland Romance fan. She has more humour in her books.
The multiple POVs were irritating. It was not a bad book but it wasn't that great either.
Stephanie Williams
Enjoyable historical fiction

Good story with actual historical events and figures woven in. Some of the situations are resolved and others are not. Stay tuned...
Jo Notary
Jan 23, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
336p The acclaimed author of The Thistle and the Rose presents an exciting new trilogy. Three sisters each hold a clue to their family's treasure--and the key to the hearts of three Highland warriors...
Sarah Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2015 Sarah Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Warning, this is not exactly a clean romance novel. (haha) But it was a great read nonetheless. Mostly romantic, slightly historical and adventurous, I thoroughly enjoyed this weekend read xx
Daneesha
Jan 04, 2017 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining.
Bonnie
Jan 03, 2017 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I am taking the opportunity to clear some books off my bookshelf while the weather is so wet and miserable.
Lisa
Dec 18, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I really enjoyed the book, to the point that I immediately bought the second from my Nook when I finished this one.
May 20, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Perfectly readable, but I have no intention of reading anything else by this author/these authors.
  • The Scotsman
  • When the Laird Returns (The Highland Lords, #2)
  • The Fraser Bride (Highland Rogues, #1)
  • Highland Warrior
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander, #1)
  • McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • Border Lord (Border, #1)
  • Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King, #1)
  • The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)
  • Adventures of a Scottish Heiress
  • Child of Awe
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • The MacLean Groom (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #1)
  • The Highlander's Accidental Bride
  • The Stone Maiden (Celtic Nights, #1)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Highland Healer (Highland Talents, #1)
May McGoldrick
(a.k.a. Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick)

Two peas in a pod, a pair of halfwits, the Laurel and Hardy of romance fiction...Nikoo & Jim McGoldrick were married in St Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin 68 years ago before a worldwide television audience. After a honeymoon tour of their oil fields in Iran, they embarked on a writing career that has produced dozens of New York Times bestsellers,
More about May McGoldrick...

Highland Treasure (3 books)
  • The Enchantress (Highland Treasure, #2)
  • The Firebrand (Highland Treasure, #3)