Shrine of the Desert Mage (Parsina Saga #1)

Shrine of the Desert Mage (Parsina Saga #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The threat of evil has become dangerously real in Parsina. The magic urn containing the demon Aeshma has been stolen. The urn must be recovered because he who frees Aeshma will have many demons to do his bidding. Only Jafar, the storyteller, Selima, his daughter, and Prince Ahmad, an exile, can save Parsina. They will set out on a mesmerizing quest where they will see ench...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published May 1st 1988 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1988)

Jodie
I love love love this story! My only complaint is that the book does not stand well on its own. It is simply the first part to a much longer tale. You will not be able to read this book and not buy the next ones, because it stops right in the middle of the story. What happened to the days you could buy a great big novel and the whole story was there, no matter how many pages it took??

Anyway, lets get back to the book. I think the writing is brilliant! The story is unique (at least for me)and ver...more
Wei Cho
I enjoyed this book very much. I think it was a great journey through Arab-style setting and the immense expanse of desert and magic. The story was good, the descriptive words were captivating, the imagery was well-used, and the metaphors were sort of overused (but I couldn't expect less from a story featuring sages and mages).

The characters were well formed, each with distinct characteristics, personalities, souls, and motivations. I like the characterization and plot development that the stor
Sannie Hald
A foolish thief has released Aeshma, the deva king, from his long imprisonment in a magical urn. He now threatens to destroy Parsina. Great heroes, who sadly have seized to exist, imprisoned him the last time. Who will save mankind now?
It is up to the storyteller Jafar, his daughter Selima, and Prince Ahmad to bring back peace to Parsina.

This book is no less than brilliant! I have never before read anything Arabian theme styled and I loved all the description about the culture. It is very well w...more
Ray
Oct 30, 2010 Ray rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fantasy story set in an 'arabian nights'-themed land, where Aeshma the deva king has been released from a long imprisonment and threatens to destroy mankind. Last time he was stopped by great heroes, but those people do not exist today.

Instead, we have Jafar al-Sharif (a storyteller who tries to pass himself off as a wizard), his daughter, and Prince Ahmad (who's been exiled). While these are just ordinary people, they learn and grow as the story progresses.

The characters are what mak...more
Delilah
Feb 13, 2012 Delilah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all people who love fairy tales
I got this book from the Read It & Reap project to review.

How to describe this book without starting to sound like an over-enthusiastic fan? Very difficult. Very diffcult indeed.

Just let me tell you this:

If you miss the sound of a storyteller painting a whole universe with the sound of their voice, this is the book for you.

If you yearn for something that is more acoustic dream than readable novel, this book is for you.

If you want to hear a story worthy of Sheherazade's beautiful gift, this b...more
Katie
I thought this book was pretty good. It was really, realy slow for the first five chapters, but then it picked up, and just kept rolling. The plot was interesting, and I can honestly say I have never read anything like this before. I don't like that the book ended in the the middle of the story so that now I have to read the other books. I feel like I just stepped out of the premiere for the second Lord of the Rings movie knowing that i now have to wait to watch the final installment (of course...more
Clive Johnson
Stephen Goldin has managed to revive and revitalise an old, classical and largely overlooked branch of the art of storytelling. ‘Shrine of the Desert Mage’ is a gripping and quite endearing story in the mould of ‘The Arabian Nights’. Instead of a collection of disparate tales, however, this tells a single and gripping story of the beginnings of an epic change in the Cycles of the world.

Richly set within an imaginary middle-eastern country, the author introduces the reader to a tried and tested f...more
Enrico Haddad
Enrico Haddad marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Alexandra Hollingshead
Alexandra Hollingshead marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Linda Roberts
Linda Roberts marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013
Bill B
Bill B marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Hank
Hank marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Volker
Volker added it
Mar 12, 2013
Joe Cheverie
Joe Cheverie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
Boris
Boris marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Philadelphia in 1947, Stephen Goldin has lived in California since 1960. He received a Bachelor’s degree in Astronomy from UCLA and worked as a civilian space scientist for the U.S. Navy for a few years after leaving college, but has made his living as a writer/editor most of his life.

His first wife was fellow author Kathleen Sky, with whom he co-wrote the first edition of the highly accla...more
More about Stephen Goldin...
Trek To Madworld (Star Trek Adventures, #9) Jade Darcy and the Affair of Honor (The Rehumanization of Jade Darcy, #1) The Eternity Brigade Jade Darcy and the Zen Pirates (The Rehumanization of Jade Darcy, #2) The Storyteller and the Jann (Parsina Saga,# 2)