Start by marking “Shrine of the Desert Mage (Parsina Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Shrine of the Desert Mage (Parsina Saga #1)

Read Book

Shrine of the Desert Mage (Parsina Saga #1)

The threat of evil has become dangerously real in Parsina. The magic urn containing the demon Aeshma has been stolen. The urn must be recovered because he who frees Aeshma will have many demons to do his bidding. Only Jafar, the storyteller, Selima, his daughter, and Prince Ahmad, an exile, can save Parsina. They will set out on a mesmerizing quest where they will see ench ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published May 1st 1988 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Shrine of the Desert Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrine of the Desert Mage

Jodie
Jan 30, 2012 Jodie rated it it was amazing
I love love love this story! My only complaint is that the book does not stand well on its own. It is simply the first part to a much longer tale. You will not be able to read this book and not buy the next ones, because it stops right in the middle of the story. What happened to the days you could buy a great big novel and the whole story was there, no matter how many pages it took??

Anyway, lets get back to the book. I think the writing is brilliant! The story is unique (at least for me)and ver
Wei Cho
Jan 30, 2012 Wei Cho rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I think it was a great journey through Arab-style setting and the immense expanse of desert and magic. The story was good, the descriptive words were captivating, the imagery was well-used, and the metaphors were sort of overused (but I couldn't expect less from a story featuring sages and mages).

The characters were well formed, each with distinct characteristics, personalities, souls, and motivations. I like the characterization and plot development that the stor
Sannie Hald
Jan 30, 2012 Sannie Hald rated it it was amazing
A foolish thief has released Aeshma, the deva king, from his long imprisonment in a magical urn. He now threatens to destroy Parsina. Great heroes, who sadly have seized to exist, imprisoned him the last time. Who will save mankind now?
It is up to the storyteller Jafar, his daughter Selima, and Prince Ahmad to bring back peace to Parsina.

This book is no less than brilliant! I have never before read anything Arabian theme styled and I loved all the description about the culture. It is very well w
Ray
Jul 14, 2007 Ray rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fantasy story set in an 'arabian nights'-themed land, where Aeshma the deva king has been released from a long imprisonment and threatens to destroy mankind. Last time he was stopped by great heroes, but those people do not exist today.

Instead, we have Jafar al-Sharif (a storyteller who tries to pass himself off as a wizard), his daughter, and Prince Ahmad (who's been exiled). While these are just ordinary people, they learn and grow as the story progresses.

The characters are what mak
Delilah
Jan 30, 2012 Delilah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all people who love fairy tales
I got this book from the Read It & Reap project to review.

How to describe this book without starting to sound like an over-enthusiastic fan? Very difficult. Very diffcult indeed.

Just let me tell you this:

If you miss the sound of a storyteller painting a whole universe with the sound of their voice, this is the book for you.

If you yearn for something that is more acoustic dream than readable novel, this book is for you.

If you want to hear a story worthy of Sheherazade's beautiful gift, this b
Katie
Feb 13, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty good. It was really, realy slow for the first five chapters, but then it picked up, and just kept rolling. The plot was interesting, and I can honestly say I have never read anything like this before. I don't like that the book ended in the the middle of the story so that now I have to read the other books. I feel like I just stepped out of the premiere for the second Lord of the Rings movie knowing that i now have to wait to watch the final installment (of course ...more
Robert Bose
Robert Bose rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Matt Keevil
Matt Keevil rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2009
Lisa Avila
Lisa Avila rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Jenner
Jenner rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2007
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Brock
Brock rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Rick F.
Rick F. rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2010
Nathan Andren
Nathan Andren rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2011
Keith Lovell
Keith Lovell rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2013
Jack Miller
Jack Miller rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Kenn
Kenn rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Angus
Angus rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Brent Roberts
Brent Roberts rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Stephen Goldin
Oct 25, 2010 Stephen Goldin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
Damien
Damien rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Joe Cheverie
Feb 28, 2013 Joe Cheverie rated it liked it
Started decently, but plot became convoluted and lost interest.
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Jinjifore
Jinjifore rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Stacey Douglas
Stacey Douglas rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Kirk
Kirk rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Heath Lesjak
Heath Lesjak rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Born in Philadelphia in 1947, Stephen Goldin has lived in California since 1960. He received a Bachelor’s degree in Astronomy from UCLA and worked as a civilian space scientist for the U.S. Navy for a few years after leaving college, but has made his living as a writer/editor most of his life.

His first wife was fellow author Kathleen Sky, with whom he co-wrote the first edition of the highly accla
More about Stephen Goldin...

Parsina Saga (4 books)
  • The Storyteller and the Jann (Parsina Saga,# 2)
  • Crystals of Air and Water (Parsina Saga,# 3)
  • Treachery of the Demon King (Parsina Saga,#4)