Start by marking “The Men of Brewster Place: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Men of Brewster Place: A Novel

The Men of Brewster Place: A Novel

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Naylor returns to the fictional neighborhood, this time focusing on the men behind the women who inhabited that desolate block of row houses, telling their tragic, sad, funny, and heroic stories.
Published April 15th 1998 by Hyperion (first published 1998)

Tamara Evans
I wasn't really expecting anything from this book.I didn't think it would leave a imprint in my memory or it would make me think of the problems that black men endure in their lives.In both of these cases, I was wrong.Not only did this book make me think of black men in an entirely different way, but also, it made me see that some things are timeless in life and some problems never go away.

Through the course of the book, the reader is introduced to various characters and are also invited to lis
Cheryl Durham
I loved this book. This was a recommendation for our Book Club. I am so glad that it was recommended. The voices of the men needed to be heard. Gloria Naylor did a phenomenal job with the information. If you didn't read the Women of Brewster Place you could still contribute to a conversation if discussing this work. She recaptured the plight of the men as it was illustrated in the Women of Brewster Place. But she delved more into their upbringing, the baggage that was brought into the relationsh ...more
Kia
The only reason why I read this book was to get some kind of closure from the first book.

I wanted to know what happened to Basil. I was disappointed in his part of the story. He was a spoiled no-count brat in "Women of brewster place" and his part in "Men" didn't even make sense. He's dating a woman whose cousin has two sons that she doesn't take good care of. he becomes attached to the boys and decides to dump girlfriend for her cousin so he can adopt the boys... HUH?!!

I didn't enjoy CCs part
kelly
I read "The Women of Brewster Place" back in 1999 was completely blown away by it, the story was so flawlessly written it rocked me to my core. To this day TWOBP is still one of my all-time favorite books, if I were stranded on a desert island, I'd take this (and some Toni Morrison!) with me. This one, its companion, I'm not so thrilled about. While its always refreshing to see a woman write from a male's perspective, the characters here seem to lack depth. Eugene, Basil, and CC are revisited--b ...more
Diana
I don't really know what to say about this book of excuses for a bunch of men who treated their women like crap for the most part with no explanation because, oh right, men aren't good at expressing themselves. I really read this because I wanted to know what happened with Basil mostly and his story disappointed me. Basil wasn't a nice guy and no one is going to make me believe otherwise. He was a spoiled rotten brat and he didn't care about anyone but himself so why Ms. Naylor decided to turn i ...more
Carol
Gloria Naylor takes the men from her previous book The Women of Brewster Place and tells their stories, mostly through the voice and observations of Ben the bulding's janitor/maintenance man. I was impressed at the authenticity of male voice from the female author. Some women are fairly adept at pulling this off, and it's not easy. Naylor does a great job. My only minor complaint is that the novel is fairly short and leaves some opened endings. But otherwise, I'd recommend reading this, especial ...more
Titilayo
Talk about a mind blower. As many times as i had read The Women of Brewster Place only once or twice had i thought about the Men. There presence was felt drastically by all the women, sometimes so much that they consumed the stories of each chapter, but there was no mention about where they were or what they were doing. Talk about shock and awe when i turned the pages of this book. Amazing!
Adrienne
I read this book to find out what happened with Basil, but became engrossed in the other men's stories.

I think sometimes we only see our own pain and hardships as women and the trials men go through can be lost. In the Women of Brewster Place, I disliked most of these men or never got a feel for them, but this book gave them depth and redeeming qualities.
Beth
I loved Naylor's earlier books, but this one didn't get the best reviews when it came out. Picked it up this week in a booksale and devoured it in an afternoon. Loved it, as I had her earlier books. Her characters have great voices, and she paints great little visions of the lives of each of them.
Love
This book was as good as The Women Of Brewster Place...I don't usually get in to fiction but I loved this book so easy to read and get through. Gloria Naylor is one of those writers that you can almost smell and see what you are reading. I hope to read more of her works in the future!!
Nedra
Overall, the book was an easy quick read. it filled in a lot of gaps about the men. however, this book left me searching for answers much like the first. I would've liked to see the storylines completed, instead of left to the readers imagination.
Ryan Mishap
Totally fails to capture the beauty and vibe of The Women. While there are a couple good bits, it seems like a book written because she didn't have a better idea at the time and this was an obvious choice. Sigh.
Corri
Read by Joe Morton

Describes the men in the lives of The Women of Brewster Place as a follow up. Depressing and sad, but people are still able to triumph. "A world of sadness and glory."
India
I loved this book. The characters are beautifully written. There is sadness in many of their lives but they are always hoping for more. I will have to read the women of Brewster place.
Emily
It tells the back story to most of the men from The Women of Brewster Place but it wasn't as skillfully written and I found many of their stories to be unexpected, even unbelievable.
Thakore CoCo O'Neal
I am going to venture to read this book. It was slow paced to me. I attempted to finish it but I haven't. I am going to put it on my finish list.
Kelly
I like that Naylor chose to revisit the scene of her famous Women of Brewster Place. It helped me to see the male point of view.
Nranger7
Really good. It stands on its own but I still would recommend reading The Women of Brewster Place (or watch the movie) first.
Aishia
Plan to read this after I finish The Women of Brewster Place
Erin
Decent read, but I liked the women more.
Shira
this book was good.
Adrian Ayers
Adrian Ayers marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Lauren Raadiolovinjohn
Lauren Raadiolovinjohn marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Enekpe
Enekpe marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Takeithasistrunk
Takeithasistrunk marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Noreen
Noreen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • Redemption Song
  • Tempest Rising
  • What You Owe Me
  • Diary of a Groupie
Gloria Naylor is an African-American novelist whose most popular work, The Women of Brewster Place, was made into a 1984 film starring Oprah Winfrey.

Naylor won the National Book Award for first fiction in 1983 for The Women of Brewster Place. Her subsequent novels include Linden Hills, Mama Day and Bailey's Cafe. In addition to her novels, Naylor has written essays and screenplays, as well as the
More about Gloria Naylor...
The Women of Brewster Place Mama Day Bailey's Cafe Linden Hills 1996