Start by marking “Holmes and Watson End Peace” as Want to Read:

Holmes and Watson End Peace

1915. Sherlock Holmes to Watson: 'Stand with me here upon the terrace for it may be the last quiet talk that we shall ever have'. 1929. A small hospital somewhere in Dorset. An ante-room off a dimly lit corridor. It is night and there is not even the smallest amount of light penetrating the room. In the room itself a dim light enables us to see a figure in a bed. The pipes ...more
Published June 7th 2012 by MX Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Holmes and Watson End Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holmes and Watson End Peace

Megan
Nov 27, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
In this book we meet our favorite characters once again, but this time instead of the setting being around the fireplace is 221B Baker Street, it is in a quite nursing home in the year 1929. Here we find Watson "still, but not silent," lying on what will soon become his death bed. His health has deteriorated and we now find a frail old man where there used to be such life and vigor. But there we also find Sherlock Holmes sitting by his bedside to keep him company and reminisce about all that the ...more
Olivia
Feb 15, 2014 Olivia rated it did not like it
Dull and boring. Nothing at all like the real deal.
Charlotte Smith
Jul 22, 2012 Charlotte Smith rated it it was amazing
Holmes And Watson End Peace by David Ruffle is a short but very moving and evocative story which details a conversation between Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. It takes place in a nursing home in 1929 where Dr Watson is being cared for. The cover for the book is superbly simple, a deerstalker and medical bag. For any reader of Sherlock Holmes the symbolism is obvious and it does set the tone for the book. This is a story about Holmes and Watson. No one else is involved.

Hugh Ashton
Apr 17, 2013 Hugh Ashton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any lover of Sherlock Holmes
I don't read Sherlock Holmes pastiches – I write them, and I avoid reading pastiches on the whole, for fear I will inadvertently copy someone else's ideas. But having read about End Peace, I thought I could risk this work.

It's a fascinating concept in the technical sense - a book that is all dialogue with no description at all. To describe it as a "novel" is perhaps a mistake. It's a work of Holmesian scholarship, examining the details of one of the most famous fictional relationships in English
Danielle
Jan 12, 2017 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story I enjoyed it and recommend it!
Joe Riggs
Jul 11, 2012 Joe Riggs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlock-related
I've recently finished “Holmes And Watson: End Peace” by David Ruffle. I couldn't wait to share my thoughts on this very innovatively written little masterpiece. So here goes…

End Peace is filled with nothing but my favorite part of any Sherlock Holmes pastiche, dialogue. This fascinating book is literally 100% dialogue, it reads like an actual transcript of one long conversation and is completely delightful to digest.

The book takes place at the very end of Holmes and Watson’s years together. Wha
Read1000books
Aug 02, 2015 Read1000books rated it it was ok
A short (about 114 pages) novel (all conversation, no action) relating the death of Sherlock Holmes' friend and chronicler Dr. John H. Watson in a nursing home in 1929. [WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD] All of the talking (except that of the nurses) is between Watson and Holmes reminiscing about their lives and the adventures they shared. The author is well-up on his Canonical knowledge but goes way too far afield when our heroes each reveal they committed a murder in their younger days (obviously apocr ...more
Kristen
Aug 22, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
I am such a sucker for post retirement Holmes and Watson stories. That being said, this is really well written. The story is entirely dialog, but the words flow with the same formal Victorian grace that the originals were written with. It is a quick read, coming in at 118 pages including the afterward, but filled with content.

It IS definitely geared toward the obsessive fan, with many unexplained references; easily understood by a devotee but probably incomprehensible to a casual fan. Lets be h
Phil Howard
May 29, 2016 Phil Howard rated it it was ok
Read this one after having read this author's "An Evening in Baker Street". Both are exclusively dialogue. Both are pretty light weight. I probably will not read another of Ruffle's Sherlock stories.

This one has Watson on his death bed, and Holmes there in Watson's imagination -- or maybe not. This could have been an interesting thread -- but it leads nowhere. Revelations at the end of secrets in both men's lives were intended to be plot highlights.
Christina
Aug 29, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
Love the dialogue-only form! It makes for a very different, very intimate read, which is perfect for this kind of story.

I'm not entirely sure if I can really agree with everything David Ruffle created for their past, but in the overall picture it works.

In the end, End Peace is a wonderful and very poignant read, the kind of story that will break your heart and one of the pastiches, which are definitely worth reading!
Clare
Aug 27, 2014 Clare rated it it was ok
The Holmes and Watson in this book really didn't feel like themselves at all. I'm surprised at all the positive comments for this since, to me, it felt much weaker than many fanfics I've read.

It wasn't awful, but it didn't at all feel like the characters we've come to know and love through ACD, films, TV or any of the myriad options out there that have explored this relationship.
Jacquelyn
Jan 24, 2013 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the conversation between Holmes and Watson. Nicely done, David. You did a great job of turning the entire book into all conversation and playing out how it would all end. I was quite pleased. So glad I was able to get the book.
Stephanie
Jul 18, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
An interesting exercise, but it didn't really grab me. I'm a complete sucker for anything with Holmes or Watson in their old age, but this one lacked something.
Elizabeth Butler
Elizabeth Butler rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2013
Stephen Seitz
Stephen Seitz rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2012
David Seddon
David Seddon rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Sherlock
Sherlock rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Phil Growick
Phil Growick rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Roger Johnson
Roger Johnson rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Steve Emecz
Jun 15, 2012 Steve Emecz rated it really liked it
The final conversations between Sherlock Holmes and Watson.
Robert Enzenauer
Robert Enzenauer rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Hilary
Hilary rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Teagan1985 (Verena)
Teagan1985 (Verena) rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Gaz
Gaz rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015
blushenka
blushenka rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2017
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Marilyn Jones
Marilyn Jones rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2015
David Ruffle was born in Northamptonshire in the UK at an early age in 1956,yes..a long time ago. The school years passed by in a blur, or was he the blur ? He managed to extricate himself from the education system at 15 years of age and embarked on the adventure of life.

Eventually, said adventure took him to Dorset and the beautiful town of Lyme Regis in July of 2004.He felt immediately at home h
More about David Ruffle...