Start by marking “Dragones Bien Intencionados: Como Ministrar A Gente Problematic A En La Iglesia / Well Intentioned Dragons (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Dragones Bien Intencio...

Marshall Shelley

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This book presents real life situations, and offers suggestions on how to minister to difficult people in the church.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1992 by Casa Bautista de Publicaciones (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Dragones Bien Intencionados, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragones Bien Intencionados

Tom
I wish I had this book about 3 1/2 to 4 years ago. This book is a gold mine of insights and help especially to the pastor who has to deal, constantly, with people. Dragons come in all shapes and sizes and almost always resort to personal attacks and plays for power to attain what they want. Shelly comments that the worst dragons are often the ones who were the pastor’s strongest supporters at the beginning (in fact, many times, the ones who called the pastor). Something that I learned about a ye ...more
James
The church is full of difficult people. Often they don’t mean to be divisive, but pastors have to navigate power plays from lay leaders or other people opposed to the minister’s ministry philosophy. Differences in theological convictions can lead to mistrust and questioning of pastoral motives. Sometimes lay leaders have convictions about how to deal strongly with sin in the congregation without seeing the full picture that the pastor sees in confidential counseling sessions. This often means th ...more
Walter Wolmart
This book is awesome, I've read it over and over, I keep it close to me, and use it for our interns.

The greatest part is after reading the book you can become equipped on how the restoration process should be, sometimes it us who have to change, although most of the times it's just know how to recognize or identify those dragons before they cause any destruction...

I give this book a 5 out of 5
Annette
Source: Free copy from Bethany House for the purpose of review.

Summary:
Marshall Shelley has written a practical and constructive book of response for pastors dealing with "dragons". "Dragon" is the metaphoric description of a problem person in a church. Shelley shares examples of situations where problem people created havoc and how the situation played out, including responses from both sides. There is a chapter explaining what to do if the "dragon" is correct, and what the reaction should be.
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

The editor of "Leadership Journal" offers practical, time-tested strategies for ministering and communicating love to the often well-meaning (but difficult) people in your church.

About the Author:

Marshall Shelley is a vice president of Christianity Today International and the author of several books, including Helping Those Who Don't Want Help and The Leadership Secrets of Billy Graham. He holds a journalism degree from Bethel University in Minnesota and an MDiv from Denver Semina
Mary-ann
Marshall Shelley has written an amazing book “Ministering to Problem People in Your Church”. In his book, Mr. Shelley helps us visualize problem people, that is well meaning Christians, as “dragons”. We can either slay the dragon, or we can work to deescalate our situations. The most obvious is to deescalate.
Mr. Shelley has given the reader true life situations that can and will happen in any church, and shown how pastors have handled each one.
This is a book that all pastors, leaders, deacons
Lucy Loong
I really enjoyed reading this book. Marshall Shelley covers a difficult topic and one that I have faced myself … battling well-intentioned dragons! At one time or another in our in spiritual home, be it church, temple or meeting hall, we are bound to encounter a person that challenges us to our core. How to keep your spiritual balance while being attacked can be a daunting task. Marshall Shelley draws on his own experience as well as the myriad experiences of others in a Pastoral position that h ...more
Deena Shoemaker
Ministering to Problem People in Your Church is a practical self-help book that touches on a subject everyone sees, but no one wants to address. Every church has these types of people. Well-intentioned people who hurt others in the wake of their "help." Don't lie, you thought of at least one person when you read that title.

Shelley describes the cause and effect of these people and how to deal with them. His advice isn't condescending towards these people. He points out that these people are doi
Richard

This is a re-release of Well-Intentioned Dragons. It has added content in relation to online issues such as Facebook, Twitter and other social media.

I read the earlier edition of this book back when I was interning as a youth pastor. It gave me great insight into the people who create problems for pastors in churches.

Now that I'm a senior pastor I read this updated version and, so help me, found myself getting angry at the Problem People in the many stories shared.

As you read the examples/testim
Jonathon Burns
Every organization seems to have at least one or two people who mean well but still manage to cause emotional strains. These people do not usually intend to cause problems, but sometimes they can derail the organization and cause stress for those in leadership positions. In this book (an updated version of the formerly released Well-Intentioned Dragons), Marshall Shelley reaches out to Pastors who may be dealing with these sorts of people. Shelley likes to refer to these people as well-intention ...more
Sandy
This book is geared toward Church Ministers and maybe church leaders. It shares a lot of real situations and covers many reasons prone to cause problems in churches.
It can get frustrating to read through with so many negative situations are shared - page after page. It took longer to read because I didn't want to deal with so many problematic scenarios but the point may have been that Pastors must handle them daily.
The tone in parts of the book felt somewhat negative and I found myself not looki
Isaiah Jesch
Assigned to me in my undergraduate work, I have never quite understood the acclaim this book has received from students, professors, and pastors I have spoken with about it. I appreciate the analogy and the work that went into it, but I don't think this work adequately deals with the topic. I certainly wouldn't assign this book to students at a collegiate level.
Emil Bredahl
Really really enjoyd this book that was recommended to me by my pastor. It took me 2 days to finish it, because i could not stop after i had started reading the book.
I find the subject difficoult for people to talk about, so that is another reason why this book is SO important for people to read. Its written in an easy way that is very easy for the reader to understand.
In some way I think this book should be a requirement for pastors to read. During my own 4 years of bible college we never touch
Marcus Lynn
This classic for pastors needs to be updated now that it's been 20 years but still worth the read particularly for new pastors.
Joan
This is an essential book for every pastor to read. Although I've never been a pastor, I've been in church all my life, in leadership. I've certainly seen my share of dragons - those people who look like everyone else on the outside but on the inside are trying to grab power, prove their superior spirituality, or some other harmful attitude. This book is full of stories. It can be depressing to read how some pastors are treated. But they are also encouraging because it gives hope that the dragon ...more
Aaron Matthews
The amalgamation of pastoral wisdom collected in this book leads to the solution of a problem - dragons within a church. Dragons are those poeple who breathe fire and cause problems for ministers and otherwise healthy churches. How do you deal with problem people? How do spot such people? What do you do with a dragon once they're caught? Some of these questions are fleshed out in this book. It is a good, short read recommended to me by a former pastor that found great solace in its words.
Nancy
Read this for the church council. It applies to churches to be sure, but it also gives on insight into co-workers, family members, and even prickly friends. The premise is that most people are not trying to be difficult and not evil, but are engaging in patterns of behavior that, however well-intentioned, are troublesome and a threat to the organization. Various kinds of "dragons" are described and the ways to diffuse the fire are covered in this slim, but insight packed, volume.
Mom
I would give this a 3.5 if I could as thought it had a lot of practical ideas and presented many of the different types of 'dragons' and problems created by them in a way that was easily digested. It is NOT a book filled with specific Scriptures on how to deal with these people but rather the ideas based on Scripture. I found myself wondering if seminaries give their students any training along these lines or help to defuse difficult situations they will surely face in ministry.
Raquel
Me pareció muy interesante. Te ayuda a entender más a las personas, que consideramos difíciles, y que nos cuesta establecer lazos de buena comunicación. Incluso te da una lista de caracteristicas "claves"en este tipo de personas. Y nunca esta de más que uno mismo se evalúe, no valla aser que estemos haciendole la vida difícil a los otros.
Eric Black
I read this while still in seminary, right before a formative internship. This book enabled me to keep in perspective a potentially nasty conflict caused by my being there. I have since bought this book for every new minister I work with and have recommended it to many others.

The best book on conflict in ministry I have read.
Jamie Pennington
This book given to me by our Divisional Commander (actually given to whole division). This was a great book but one which was very difficult to read as I am and have and will likely continue to deal with dragaons in my own ministry. But a good book never the less.
Mike McVey
Shelley talks about how pastors have to deal with some difficult people in the church. In one sense, it would have been helpful if I would have read this before I started pastoring, but it is possible I wouldn't have paid much attention to it.
Greg Davenport
Good stuff for those in ministry! Helps to see people the way God sees them. Helps to know that others are dealing with similiar things and overcoming them. :)
Peter
Must read for every pastor. A little light on the solution side of the incidents, but at least cathartic for those who have served in difficult ministries.
Brad Hoff
Very heavy emphasis on church "boards", but still a lot of good counsel. This book would be very helpful to many pastors, I think.
Mark
a great book for anyone in ministry or public service. Gives practical advice for dealing with conflict within the church.
Thomas Kinsfather
Excellent advice on dealing with difficult people in a church setting. Must read for pastors.
Tom LaPrise
This book really opens your eyes to the "dark" side of ministry, but very encouraging.
Melissa Hellmann
I think the whole book could have been one chapter except for the very long stories.
Michael Locklear
Great book! Read it many years ago. Might need to re-read it soon.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Transformational Church
  • Necessity of Prayer
  • The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction (The Pastoral series, #4)
  • Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: The Paradox of Personal Dysfunction
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • The Church on the Other Side: Doing Ministry in the Postmodern Matrix
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • Jesus in the Margins: Finding God in the Places We Ignore
  • The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer: A Christian Worldview (5 Volume Set)
  • No Perfect People Allowed: Creating a Come as You Are Culture in the Church
  • Church Planter: The Man, The Message, The Mission
  • Biblical Eldership
  • I Am a Church Member: Discovering the Attitude that Makes the Difference
  • On Being a Pastor: Understanding Our Calling and Work
  • Strategic Pastoral Counseling: A Short-Term Structured Model
  • Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Our's?
  • Alone With God (MacArthur Study Series)
  • Concise Theology
Changing Lives Through Preaching and Worship: #1 in the Library of Christian Leadership Deepening Your Ministry Through Prayer and Personal Growth: The Library of Christian Leadership #4 (Library of Christian Leadership) Telling Stories to Children Growing Your Church Through Training and Motivation: 30 Strategies to Transform Your Ministry Growing Your Church Through Evangelism and Outreach: Library of Christian Leadership #3 (Library of Christian Leadership)

“I have never met a man who wanted to be bad," writes George MacLeod. "The mystery of man is that he is bad when he wants to be good.” 0 likes