Start by marking “Pocahontas” as Want to Read:
Pocahontas

Pocahontas (Oxford Bookworms: Stage 1)

A beautiful young Indian girl, and a brave Englishman. Black eyes, and blue eyes. A friendly smile, a laugh, a look of love... But this is North America in 1607, and love is not easy. The girl is the daughter of King Powhatan, and the Englishman is a white man. And the Indians of Virginia do not want the white men in their beautiful country. This is the famous story of Poc ...more
Published August 17th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pocahontas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocahontas

Namiko
Apr 05, 2012 Namiko added it
I'm glad that I read a famous story. I thought Pocahontas was a character of Disney's cartoons. I learned she was real! She died young. It sounds like it is exciting to visit London, but it might be not good to live, such the weather and the crowd.
Shuhei
Jun 18, 2014 Shuhei rated it really liked it
1.Oxford level1
2.6/18=80min
3.English came America fight Indian girl friend
4.She can stay in Jamestown - and the guns can stay here.
English said to Indian king "If you return us our guns, we return your daughter." But king thought guns are more important than his daughter.
5.In 1607, English men came to America and try to live there. They built a town called "Jamestown". Then, there were Indians, and some of them are friendly, others are not. They are afraid of guns, so they ask English to give gu
友希乃 武山
May 28, 2014 友希乃 武山 rated it liked it
1.Oxford/Level1

2.05/25=40minutes 05/26=40minutes

3.Indian-beautiful-Pocahontas-England-fight-impossible-love

4.a)An Indian girl, Pocahontas fell in love with John Smith who was from England, but they couldn't be together.
b)I didn't like that Pocahontas was friendly too much, and married with John Rolfe even though she heard that John Smith past away because of illness.

5.This book was interesting, and I found that this book was not same as disney movie when I finished reading it.
HonokaAndo
Apr 29, 2015 HonokaAndo rated it liked it
1. level 1
2. 4/25:30min 4/28:25min 4/29:30 min
3. pocahontas,beautiful,Indian,English,gun,enemy,love
4.a)This is the story about relationship between England and Indian. The fighted a lot each other for a long time.But a girl who is from Indian wanted to get along with English people. She couldn't understand their language. But she falled in love with man who is from England. Her father was so angry because England people were enemy. At the end, she became the first woman to marry an Englishman.
b)
Yuki Kato
Jul 21, 2016 Yuki Kato rated it really liked it
1. Oxford / level1

2. 80minutes

3. young Indian girl, a brave English man, America, king, ship, love, sad

4. I like the scene that Pocahontas talks with Smith. Pocahontas asked "Why are you in my country?" or "Where do you come from?" to him, and he answered. Pocahontas is very kind woman. He said "We want to live here, and be your friends. I thought Smith's word is cute.

5. Pocahontas is Disney movie, but I have never seen the movie of it, so I want to see it. The ending of this story is sad, but
Diana Luna
Dec 08, 2012 Diana Luna rated it really liked it
Can people from two different environments and backgrounds work together, or even fall in love and make it work? The story of Pocahontas takes us back in history to a time period when the English first discovered America. The story starts off with John Smith and his Englishmen voyaging to America and onto what Pocahontas and the Indians called their land. Both sides come together to help each other out since the Englishmen need the Indians for resources and the Indians need the Englishmen for we ...more
Akihiro Miyanishi
Apr 30, 2014 Akihiro Miyanishi rated it liked it
1.Oxford Level 1

2.03/10=60 minutes

3.indian girl,Englishman,white man,King,Virginia,England,love

4.a)The brave Englishman,John Smith, wanted to find a new world, and his ship sailed to America. He met Pocahontas, and they fell in love. However, their love didn't go well.
b)Love is not easy. This story told me that.

5.This story is disney story. I was very surprised when I knew that.
Rio Shimizu
Jun 20, 2016 Rio Shimizu rated it really liked it
1. Oxford / level2
2. 06/21=80min.
3. Indian, beautiful, Pocahontas, England, fight, impossible, love
4. "He lived until 1631, but he never had a
wife."
I thought that he really love Pocahontas and their love is wonderful.
5. I knew only this title, but I didn't know the story of it. I thought that I want to watch its movie!
Ola
Jun 08, 2016 Ola rated it liked it
That day was the beginning of me love for you then you didn't love me you left me
The king 's daughter & Englishman
Saki
Jan 06, 2014 Saki rated it liked it
Oxford 1
Time= 80 minutes
Seven word summary= beautiful, love, gun, English, India, king, life
If your lover is a king or queen, do you want to marry him or her??
= No, I don’t want to marry him because a wife of king has a lot of work to do.

This story was very easy to understand, but ending was not happy. I guessed she would marry John, but she married other man, so it was disappointed
Douglas Echenique Zambrano
Sep 02, 2015 Douglas Echenique Zambrano rated it it was amazing
Disney lied to me all my life
Brackberry
Dec 17, 2013 Misato Kuroiwa rated it liked it
1 Tim Vicary, Jeniffer Bassett, OXFORD, Stage1

2 80 minutes

3 Indian, Englishman, fight, love, King, corn, gun

4 What do you want to eat?
I want to eat corn soup. It is very yummy!

5 This book made me sad. I thought that Pocahontas would marry John Smith. However, that never happened. It was not happy end. Also, I can't believe her father, because getting guns was more important for him than getting his daughter back. I felt shocked. I like books which have happy end.

Yuki Miyashita
Oct 14, 2013 Yuki Miyashita rated it liked it
60 minutes
colony mediate punishment friend love hostage England
Q:Do you think it is possible to eliminate racial discrimination in this world?
A:No because there are countries, frontiers, and cultures but it is possible to decrease the number of discrimination.

P.S.
I have a tennis tournament on Tuesday, so I will be absent your class and submit extensive listening paper after Tuesday. Please let me know where and when I can submit it to you.
Alex
Mar 10, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
i think everyone know this story but i get a knowledge from it, it's a truly love between man and woman...their situation wasn't same especially culture and tradition Nevertheless all the time, Pacahontas still love John Smith but..Looks like we made it when i will be,,,and you ))))how do you think ?))))
ちえ
Dec 09, 2013 ちえ rated it really liked it
OXFORD level1 110min
indian/englishman/gun/america/beautiful/marry/life

Q.Have you ever been to America?
A.No, I haven't. I want to go there very much! It's good country.

This story is very famous, but I don't know about it ever.
I read this book now, I felt little sad.
It's sad romance story.
Sharon
Jan 08, 2014 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fiction.
Gioivtv
Oct 31, 2013 Gioivtv is currently reading it
very goog for me. thanks alot
fatma omar
fatma omar is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2016
Gamar Thaker
Gamar Thaker rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Baongoc
Baongoc marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Pandora
Pandora marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Ann Keller
Ann Keller rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Omnia
Omnia marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Davidphat123yahoo.Com.Vn
Davidphat123yahoo.Com.Vn marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Tran
Tran marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tim Vicary is an author and a recently retired university teacher from the university of York, England. His legal thrillers about a tough British barrister, Sarah Newby, have been compared to the works of John Grisham and Scott Turow. The second book in the series, A Fatal Verdict, was awarded a B.R.A.G Medallion for an outstanding independent novel, and the third book, Bold Counsel, was awarded t ...more
More about Tim Vicary...

Oxford Bookworms: Stage 1 (8 books)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer