Start by marking “The Little Silver House” as Want to Read:
The Little Silver House

The Little Silver House

A mysterious boarded-up house intrigues Nancy and her friends. The day after Christmas, Nancy learns that the house will again be lived in. Sequel to The Golden Name Day.
Published June 1st 1985 by Peter Smith Publisher (first published September 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Silver House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Silver House

Leah
Feb 28, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to The Golden Name Day (one of my most favorite children's books). I enjoyed this book just as much as the first one. I am mourning the fact that I missed this one when I was a child; being the Christmas crazy girl that I am. It has a lovely description of a traditional Swedish family Christmas season that goes on for 3 chapters or so. As with the first book there is a bit of a mystery to it. The parents in these books are so loving and merry. Always thinking up fun little thi ...more
Wendy
Aug 30, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this sequel to "The Golden Name Day" almost as much as its predecessor! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Nancy's continued adventures in the New England countryside. This is another beautiful book about a wonderful, simple time not so very long ago. If you've read "The Golden Name Day", this is a must-read! I can't wait to begin reading "The Crystal Tree"!
carrietracy
Jan 15, 2011 carrietracy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Anyone who enjoyed Golden Name Day will like this follow up. Nancy continues her stay with her Swedish relatives and they discover a little boarded up silver house which the girls want to explore. Again focusing on the small things in life, this old-fashioned story is sweet and warm. I especially love the descriptions of the Swedish Christmas traditions!
Michael Fitzgerald
A nice sequel that leads up to a Christmas finale. Better than later pale imitators like The Penderwicks.
Mimi
Aug 23, 2013 Mimi rated it really liked it
A delightful sequel to "The Golden Name Day," not quite as perfect, but close.
Interestingly, when I got the book from the library I didn't think that I'd read it before, but it was familiar and I kept guessing parts of the story that lead me to conclude that I did read it as a child. I have to shout out to the wonderful library that I grew up using - I think they had a great collection.
Jodie Hughes
Apr 28, 2014 Jodie Hughes rated it it was amazing
This entire series is wonderful. If your children (or you) love books like the Little House on the Prairie, I highly recommend this series, if you can get your hands on them. They are out of print and rare to find.
Julie
Nov 15, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this after reading the first book, The Golden Name Day. Once again, I learned a bit about Swedish traditions... but once again, this little girl didn't behave all that well in this book. I'm not sure I'll read the third.
Leaflet
Jul 29, 2014 Leaflet rated it really liked it
A good story for Christmas.
Kristen
Aug 30, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2012
Depicting life in a Swedish community around the turn of the last century, this is a sweet book that girls who liked the Little House on the Prairie series would like.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
I enjoyed some of this, I think (and the illustrations by Garth Williams), but it also focused quite a bit on Christmas, which we don't celebrate, thus the two stars.
Andrea
A favorite from my childhood. I like to reread it around Christmastime, since it has a lovely description of the long Swedish Christmas that the family celebrates.
Nancy
Jan 04, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok
Interesting idea of fun things to do in the country
Deira
Jun 10, 2013 Deira rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood books..this story initiated my love of learning about other cultures. The theme of a Swedish American family, reminds me of my own dual cultural upbringing
Daphne
Daphne rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2010
Lauren C
Lauren C rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2017
Jina
Jina rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Adria Schoen
Adria Schoen rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2009
Alanna
Alanna rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Miki
Miki rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2009
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
JQ
JQ rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2008
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2010
Lila
Lila rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2009
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2010
Trish
Trish rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2008
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Jennie D. Lindquist was a children's book author, as well as an editor for The Horn Book from 1951-1958.
More about Jennie D. Lindquist...