Start by marking “Added Upon” as Want to Read:
Added Upon

Added Upon

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  65 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about Added Upon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Added Upon

Lisa
Oct 03, 2011 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lds hopeless romantics
Recommended to Lisa by: Maretta
Shelves: favorites, classics
***Do NOT pay attention to the drab official book description!!! Whoever wrote it needs to be slapped upside the head!***

This book is about the journey of souls. The story follows individuals throughout the span of eternity, from before the world was - to the joys, tribulations, romance, and spiritual growth of mortal life - to the hereafter and beyond.

Added Upon is the truest of true love stories, encompassing love in it's different forms - God's love, family love, romantic love, friendly lov
Sue
I'm not sure why there is such a lame description for this amazing book on Goodreads. It is one of the first LDS Fictions ever written (1898). I found this book in my Grandfather's bookshelf (I believe a first edition)and it was one of the first LDS fictions I ever read. I was a very young teen and it had a profound impact on me. I couldn't put it down. The story follows a romance between a man and woman from their premortal existence, through their lives on the earth and into postmortal life. I ...more
Jan Strong
I cannot believe that although I heard about this book most of my life, I had not read it before now.
It is strangely captivating and although the style can be tedious, I found myself carried along with
not just the story line, but the symbolism and LDS doctrine logically woven throughout.
It made me think a lot about this earth life and all the potential each one of us holds to
become the best we can be and use all that we have been given as gifts to achieve a truly
wonderful and joyous life.
Greg
First published in 1898, this is early LDS novel attempts to clothe in detail the doctrine of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Following a group of people from the pre-existence, through mortality, and into the spirit world beyond this life, it brings together fact and fancy, doctrine and speculation. While much of it is arguable, and some is clearly not well-established in latter-day prophetic utterances, it is nonetheless a thought-provoking and inspiring story. Recommended.
Rene'
Nephi Anderson is an absolute favorite of mine! I have many of his books and am happy to share them with one and all! Added Upon is about friends who knew each other in the pre-existence and were married on earth after being born in different countries. The Gospel is what brought them together. It's a sweet book.
Debi
Sep 15, 2008 Debi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who like a love story with an eternal twist.
I read this book over 15 years ago, for the first and only time, when I was a teen. I was really touched by this love story and the thought that those we know on earth were also a part of our lives in the pre-mortal existence. I am so excited to see it in print so that I can read it again.
Terrie
This little gem is available as a free eBook download. This 1912 hardbound edition (originally published in 1898) came to me at the death of my Grandmother. As it is inscribed it was given by my Grandparents to his Mother on Christmas 1942. As a child I loved to browse my Grandma's bookshelf, read this as a teenager, and requested it at her death. It has great sentimental value to me.This is an LDS fictional account of the Plan of Salvation. We follow several characters from the Pre-existence, t ...more
Hillari
It has been many years since I read this book, but I disliked it so strongly that I have never forgotten it. I read this book for a course in college and I wish I still had the paper I wrote back then, because I ripped it pretty good. One of the highlights of my life (haha) was having the teacher read my paper aloud to the class which was held in an auditorium.
My main problem with the book was how every conversation turned into a question and answer series, with the only point being to lay out t
Melinda Christensen
A sweet little story that was first published in 1898, that answers questions such as, "Who am I, where did I come from and why am I here?". Intriguing questions we all have, they are discussed through stories about a wonderful plan created in Heaven above, called the "Plan of Salvation." It illustrates the lives of several fictional people, from their state of pre-existence through their mortality and into the future, after death. What a marvelous book!
Kimberly Kay
This is a touching story aimed at people belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints. I preface this way, since, unless you are a member of this church, the book will be hard to follow and confusing, as a great deal of the plot relies on past events the readers are assumed to know. While I enjoyed the story told, and it definitely made me think, it's not particularly well written, nor has it character depth. I wish the writer had explored the plot more. However, since this is a r ...more
Kirk
Found this book in my apartment and read it a few years back on my mission. The story of the King of Poland was an interesting insight into what the author imagined a zion-like society would look like, and how that society would function on a day to day basis.

It can get a bit drab sometimes as the author chronicles doctrinal questions and answers, but as a missionary I was studying that already so no big deal there. Although, if you're looking for that, I'd say Day of Defense will be more handy
Katie
I saw this book in my family's library all growing up and thought, "someday I'll read that." I had forgotten about it until recently when I saw it available for free through Project Gutenberg. I decided to download it and finally read the book I'd passed by for years on my way to the dinner table. It's a sweet story depicting the author's idea of the pre-earth life, mortality, spirit world and millennium. He wrote it in the late 1800's, and was surprisingly correct about a lot of the modern tech ...more
Julie
I didn't finish this book. I really liked the beginning though. It struck a familiar chord and was written in a surprisingly appropriate and tasteful manner for such a sacred topic. However, I felt the body of the work was rushed and jumbled and I wasn't entirely interested in the story. The last portion I just couldn't get into...the author was treading on pretty thin ice anyway and I just couldn't bring myself to read it. I'd rather read section 138 in the Doctrine and Covenants and satisfy my ...more
Jeanne
I first read this fictional story when I was a teenager. It changed my perspective on life. I should say it changed my life too.
I first read this book a long time ago. I have it on my list to read again. It's very thought provoking. I enjoyed it.
Amazing and imaginative and didactic and sentimental. And the King of Poland!
Amy Anderson
So after 15 years hearing about this book in my husband's family, we finally read it as a family! It was fun to have a fictional story intertwined with some LDS church doctrine. And we all enjoyed watching how the pre-existence, earth-life, and after-life stories came together!
Michael
Review coming ...
Gerrit
Allegory about the three main periods of life: pre-mortal, mortal, and post-mortal, as based on Mormon theology. If you like CS Lewis' allegorical fiction (like Lion, Witch & Wardrobe) and you are Mormon you will probably really like this--in many ways it is a precursor to pop-Mormon productions like Saturday's Warrior--though much more thoughtful.

If allegorical didacticism is hard to swallow, you will probably only appreciate it for its broad speculations about the Millennium and the Celes
Melanie
My second required reading. The first publication of this book was in 1989, the last being in 1967. It's not a great piece of literature, but very interesting. It follows the same characters from pre-existence, into mortality and then the millennium. Our professor said that the LDS used to have the Bible, the Book of Mormon and Added Upon on their shelves.
Leigh Statham
Now this little book is a gem! Any Latter-day Saint will get a kick out of Mr. Anderson's 1890's view of the big picture. Especially his ideas about technology in the millennium. Plus the characters, while not fully developed, are still endearing and it's nice to be reminded of the eternal perspective once in a while. Great little book.
Lee
I love this sweet story and was recently reminded of it and reread it. Sweet sweet sweet.
Caryn
Sep 13, 2008 Caryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS readers
Recommended to Caryn by: my mom
This is a book that I first read when I was about twelve. It follows a few people from the pre-existence through mortality and into the Spirit World, being "added upon" at each stage. It has been years since I've read it, but it has always been one of my favorite books.
Rena
I like this book for the eternal perspective it encourages. I don't however agree with many of Bro. Anderson's ideas on how things "really are." Sometimes a strange and disjointed combination of doctrine and story...I'll let you know if I change my mind by the end
Paul
A very old (1898) LDS novel. I really enjoyed it. It is somewhat speculative about pre and post mortal life, but I think it really illustrates the vastness of the Plan of Salvation.

It started out a little slow, but overall I thought it was a nice story.
Roy
Read this right after Mary was baptized. I think either one of the missionaries gave it to her or maybe a member of Beaumont Ward. Always uplifting and edifying to read about the gospel covenants, promises we can/do enjoy the blessings from.
Amber
My grandma gave this book to me from her collection when I was a teenager, so it has some sentimental value to me. I liked it as a teenager more than I did as an adult. I enjoyed the first half more than the second.
Rae
An older LDS fiction classic in which the author mixes gospel doctrine with supposition regarding our premortal life and how we came to be here on earth. I am actually distantly related to Nephi Anderson by marriage.
Steve
29th printing 1969. First read 1912 addition as a teenager. this was the first "church" book I ever read. It opened the door to reading for me and started me on my way to understanding the meaning of life.
Dave
Nice little Church book with tender presentation of the Plan of Salvation. I read it in the 1970s and really liked it. Maybe I should read it again because I don't remember much more than I liked it.
Added Upon 1 7 Aug 19, 2009 01:06PM
  • A Christ-Centered Christmas: Seven Traditions to Lead Us Closer to the Savior
  • The Laws of Thermodynamics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles Student Manual
  • Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times
  • Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man
  • History of the Church (Boxed Set)
  • The Hidden Christ: Beneath the Surface of the Old Testament
  • The Continuous Conversion: God Isn't Just Proving Us, He's Improving Us
  • Secrets
  • Talking with God: Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Being Enough
  • A Fresh Start in Fairhaven (The Fairhaven Chronicles, #1)
  • Not My Will, but Thine
Norwegian-born American author of Mormon literature.
More about Nephi Anderson...
Dorian Piney Ridge Cottage: The Love Story of a "Mormon" Country Girl Added Upon: A Story A Young Folks' History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press) Story of Chester Lawrence (Large Print Edition)

“Why should people importune the Lord about small trials and petty ailments, and at the same time neglect to ask His guidance on matters of love and marriage which make or mar one’s life?” 1 likes
“True love had awakened in two hearts. Through all the shifting scenes of earth-life, nothing like this had ever come to this mand and this woman. Love had waited all this time. The power that draws kindred souls together is not limited to the few years of earth-life. While time lasts, God will provide sometime, somewhere, in which to give opportunity for every deserving soul. Here were two whose hearts beat as one; but one must needs have left mortality early in his course, while the other went on to the end alone. The reason for this was difficult to see by mortal eyes, but now . . .” 1 likes