Start by marking “The Commons” as Want to Read:
The Commons

The Commons

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Includes the story "The Helper and His Hero," nominated for a Nebula Award - Best Novella, 2007 "For years now, 40,000 readers of "The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction" have been reveling in the adventures of Matt Hughes's Guth Bandar, the hero of this novel. Hughes is one of the top voices in modern SF, and this book has a huge audience waiting for it."

For 100,00
Published October 1st 2007 by Robert J. Sawyer Books

To ask other readers questions about The Commons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Commons

I think Hughes' idea of the noönauts and a collective unconscious that can be visited and mapped is interesting and it was the main reason I checked out this book from the library. I found the characters to be two-dimensional, though, and the dialogue was stilted. After a while I began to wonder: is this just how Hughes writes (this is the only work of his I've read), or was he deliberately creating characters who were only slightly more rounded than the idiomats of the Commons? Anyway, read thi ...more
Michele (Mikecas)

Una raccolta di racconti di uno scrittore praticamente sconosciuto in Italia, nonostante abbia all'attivo diversi romanzi che hanno avuto una buona accoglienza dai lettori anglosassoni. Racconti che hanno un tema comune e che rappresentano lo sviluppo di un personaggio e di una storia complessa.
La base di tutto è il concetto che l'inconscio collettivo dell'intera umanità, passata e forse anche futura, costituisca una realtà concreta, con tutti gli arche
John Onoda
I love the work of author Jack Vance, therefore I love the work of Mathew Hughes, who continues along the distinctive stylistic path set out by the grand master. It is a remarkable feat, for Vance wrote in an instantly recognizable voice -- like P.G. Woodhouse or Ray Bradbury -- for nearly 50 years before anyone had the nerve or ability to follow in his footsteps. Hughes has accompished this feat over many books and stories now, much to my delight.

In this story science fiction is mixed with farc
Mike Ehlers
Been on my to-read list since I read "The Helper and His Hero," which is part of this novel, a few years ago.

I loved the idea of the collective unconscious becoming aware, and I liked how the protagonist's main rival is really nothing more than an archetype himself. But I do wish at least some of the other characters were more fleshed out.

And the plot was a bit disjointed, probably a problem from trying to connect all the short stories. I'd be interested in a true novel set in this world.
This book consists of collection of Hughes' Noonaut stories strung together into a novel format. While the world that Hughes constructs is interesting, the characters are somewhat wooden, and the plot drags. These stories were much better when I read them originally. I'd like to see a fully developed novel involving the noosphere, but this isn't it.
Tim (Textual Urges)
Tim (Textual Urges) marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Dave Cheeney
Dave Cheeney marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Geoffrey marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Olivia Johnson
Olivia Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
BenL marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Tomás Vittino
Tomás Vittino marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Denny marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Be added it
Mar 16, 2014
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Liverpool, his family moved to Canada when he was five years old. Married since late 1960s, he has three grown sons. He is currently relocated to Britain. He is a former director of the Federation of British Columbia Writers.

A university drop-out from a working poor background, he worked in a factory that made school desks, drove a grocery delivery truck, was night janitor in a GM dealersh
More about Matthew Hughes...