Start by marking “New Yorkers: Short Stories (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 2)” as Want to Read:
New Yorkers: Short Stories (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 2)

New Yorkers: Short Stories (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 2)

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The books are graded at six vocabulary levels, ranging from 400 words (Beginning) to 2,500 words (Advanced.)
Published August 17th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about New Yorkers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Yorkers

Zajafary
خوب :-) :-)
HonokaAndo
Apr 15, 2015 HonokaAndo rated it really liked it
1. level 2

2. 30 minutes

3. a man, lawyer,forget, wife,friends,train,sad

4. a) A man has a good wife,good job, and good friends.
His life was full of happy. He was a very good lawyer.
So he was working very hard.
His one of the friends is a doctor.
The friend was worried about him.
Because there is a disease which become to forget everything.
It is happen to busy people.
So the friend often told him not too hard work.
But suddenly he forgot who he is.

b) I liked the scene at the hotel. He cou
Naohiro Hotta
Jul 14, 2014 Naohiro Hotta rated it it was amazing
1. O. Henry OXFORD BOOKWORMS LIBRARY level 2

2. 7/13= 70 minutes

3. present, love, tramp, prison, amnesia,moment, happy

4. My favorite passage is '"Don't look at me like that. I sold my hair because I wanted to give you a present. It will soon be long again. I had to do it, Jim. "Say Happy Christmas", please. I have a wonderful present for you!"' I really favored her action because she strongly wanted to give something for a Christmas present because she is always taken care of by husband, Jim. Tha
Carlos Farias
As short stories possuem algumas características como: uma trama que poderia acontecer com qualquer pessoa, alguns personagens e ter uma história que acontece em um ou dois dias no máximo (short).

Esse tipo de história também tem como característica um "Turning point", onde a história muda, e um "surprising end" que é um final surpreendente, e nesse livro posso dizer que em algumas histórias o final é realmente surpreendente.

Soapy's Choice: Esta é minha história favorita, Soapy é um morador de ru
Vale
Che bella sorpresa, questi racconti! Mi hanno ricordato quelle storie che leggevo da bambina sul sussidiario: semplici, pulite, a volte malinconiche e con un finale ad effetto. "A walk in amnesia", ha lo stesso tema di fondo del Mattia Pascal di Pirandello, ma è meno doloroso: "if you want to be happy, you must be free".
Aki Kawachi
Love
Policeman
Prison
Church
4. There are some stories. I like the first story the best! The title is "the Christmas present". There is a woman who wears beautiful and long hair, but she don't have enough money to buy the Christmas present for her boyfriend. So she sold hair to get money and she bought a gold chain for the watch. At night her boyfriend gave her the combs for her beautiful hair but she no longer had her hair. But she was
Maho Asano
May 20, 2015 Maho Asano rated it really liked it
1.Oxford level2
2.5/15=20min, 5/16=16min, 5/17=20min, 5/18=18min, 5/19=15min

3. a housewife, a husband, Christmas Day, present, a gold watch, hair, the combs

4. a) A wife didn't her job and didn't have enough money to buy a present for her husband, (she had only eighty-seven cents.) therefore she sold her beautiful brown long hair to give him a present. And she thought "Oh, I hope he thinks that I'm still beautiful!"

b) I knew how much she loves her husband. It is a amazing thing that she sold her h
hima saki
May 08, 2008 hima saki rated it it was ok
this book consists of five stories that I like the second one.
Rie Shimizu
Jun 03, 2015 Rie Shimizu rated it really liked it
1. Oxford level 2

2. 5/2=45 5/3=40

3. New York, Christmas, poor, present, chain, combs, love

4. a. "I love you, it doesn't matter if your hair is short or long."

b. I like this sentence because I was able to feel his love for his wife from this sentence. What wonderful words!

5. This book includes 5 short stories. I liked first story, because that was wonderful, heartwarming story! The couple are poor, but they live happily and they are full of love. If I can marry, I'd like to become the couple lik
Noriho Motokawa
May 07, 2014 Noriho Motokawa rated it really liked it
1 OXFORD 2
2 5/5=60 5/6=30
3 New York people live money love hope happy
4 a)“It doesn't matter if your hair is short or long.”
b) Della had her hair cut but she was worried whether her husband who like her long hair got angry. However, he didn't care about it and said to her that words. I was imprresed.
5 This book is collection of short stories. They are ordinary people's stories live in New York at the beginning of 20 century. The characters are completely different from me but I could sympatize w
Corinne

My mother-in-law found, in a used book bin, this 1960s collection of O. Henry's stories that all take place in New York City. She picked it up for me and I've been nibbling away at it here and there for quite some time now. Two of the stories were already familiar to me, The Gift of the Magi and The Last Leaf - but all the others were fresh and new.

Each character's ties to New York are unique and, for the most part, they are pawns in the great games being played out in that glorious ci
Bastet
Oct 01, 2011 Bastet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Este escritor cuenta con mi simpatía incluso sin leerlo, pues el nombre con el que firmaba sus obras lo tomó de la exclamación "Oh, Henry!" con la que llamaban a su gato los propietarios de una de las casas donde vivió William Sydney Porter. Pero sería un olvido imperdonable no leer sus cuentos. El más aclamado es "El regalo de los Reyes Magos", tan incisivo como un golpe en la mandíbula; pero "Pasajeros en Arcadia", "La lámpara dispuesta", "Primavera à la carte", "El cuarto amueblado", "El perf ...more
Sayaka Moriyama
Jan 20, 2014 Sayaka Moriyama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
@Time of reading
1/14 80 min

@7 word summary
Christmas present couple exchange most precious one

@Discussion question
Have you ever given a present what was the most precious for you.

@My answer
No, I haven't. however, if i could have my husband, i would like to try exchanging Christmas present with him, though i don't know if he like it or not.

@What I think about the book.
this book has 5 stories. every stories were enjoyable for me. I have never been to New York, but i get to want to go there becaus
Sayaka
Jul 02, 2014 Sayaka rated it it was amazing
1 Oxford level
2 7/2=55minutes
3 poor, hair, gold chain, watch, combs, love
4 a) "I hope he thinks that I'm still beautiful!"
b) I like this scene because it tells me how she loves him. Many girls feel like her after they cut their hair.
5 I love this story!! If we have true love, we can live without much money. I would like to love someone like her and him.
Momoka Yamaguchi
May 28, 2014 Momoka Yamaguchi rated it really liked it
1. Oxford level2
2. 5/26=50minutes
3. New York-city-people-life-love-change-feeling
4."I want to go to prison"
I was interested on his feeling. He is very strange.
5. This book include some short stories. Every story was interesting. I was interested in the second story. A man wanted to go to prison. His behavior was very strange for me.
Naomi Mori
Jul 15, 2015 Naomi Mori rated it really liked it
1Oxford, level2
27/15=90minutes
3eighty-seven cents, poor, blown hair, husband, combs, gold chain, love
4a I sold the watch to get the money to buy your combs.
b I was moved this part because they love deeply each other.
5 I realized that if we have true love, we can be happy even if we are poor. Love is important!
Takuma Kusagawa
May 28, 2014 Takuma Kusagawa rated it really liked it
1.OXFORD,Level2

2.5/28=50minutes

3.city,NewYork,Christmas,present,police,hair,comb

4.Della said " I love you, it doesn't matter if your hair is short or long."
I thought he loved his wife from the bottom of his heart.

5. This book has many short stories and they are interesting, so I didn't get tired.
Yuto Yuasa

7/9 18minutes
7/10 25minutes
Total 86minutes

3. waiter,train,woman,remember,actor,lawyer,amnesia

4. Have you ever been to other countiries?
- Yes. I have been to Singapore in this year. If I have a chance to go, I want to go there again!

5. "A Walk in Ameneisa" is the most interesting story in this book. I could understand the story easily and I thought about my future(after 50 years). The man is lawyer and his doctor said that he needs rest
Miyuki Koga
Oct 15, 2012 Miyuki Koga rated it really liked it
- O. Henry; Oxford university;level2
- Time: 10/11 = 15minutes; 10/12 = 15minutes; 10/13 = 15 minutes.
- 7 word summary: poor - hungry - prison- plan - unhappy - church - policeman
- Discussion question
1. The main character choose to go to the prison not to die. Which do you choose to go to the prison or to die?
I don't want to do bad things and go to a prison. So I will choose to die.
2. The man run away without paying money for dinner. Have you ever done like that?
No, I haven't. I don't want to do
Kentaro Iijima
- oxford Readers, level 2.
- Time 11/28 = 80 minutes.
= 7-word summary: stories - town - woman - Christmas - present - life - end.
- Discussion questions:

1,You didn't have money. What do you do for your boy/girl friend at Christmas?
I don't get presents, so I talk with my girl friend more and more. I am sure that my talking make her fun. lol

2, Have you ever been to Ney York?
I haven't yet. In the future I want to walk Times Square. That experience will change my mind.

This book is constructed by some
Satomi Ito
Jun 26, 2013 Satomi Ito rated it it was ok
1 OXFORD, Level2
2 100min.
3 housewife-lawyer-writter-city-famnus-live-poor-funny
4 What do you want to be?
--- I want to be a lawyer and help people.
5 A housewife, a tramp, a lawyer, a waitress, an actress - ordinary people living ordinary lives in New York at the beginning of this century. The city has changed greatly since that time, but its people are much the same. Some are rich, some are poor, some are happy, some are sad, some have found love, some are looking for love. O. Henry's famous sho
Khanhlinh1306
Feb 26, 2015 Khanhlinh1306 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just a great book because it tells us about lifes of different people with different jobs.
Takaya Kawai
-Oxford Bookworms Library, level 2.
-Time: 9/24=10 minutes; 11/30=60 minutes.
-7 words summary: winter - cold - policeman - unhappy - empty - change - prison.
-Discussion questions:
1. Have you ever witnessed something accident like robber, murder or stuff?
No, I haven't. I don't want to do such a experience from now on if possible.
2. How would you change your life if you want to do?
I write down what I want to do on a paper and put on the wall.

This book consists from five short stories, so it's read
Andres Sanchez
This book is about adventures about some people who live in New York .
My favourite short-story is about a person who wants to go to prison because he is a very poor person and he does everything to go there.He says in jail they give him food and would have room with roof to sleep.
He try every things if he can but they not apress him:for example one day he steal to a old person but the police take him an advice.
Other forms were fight with people,go out from a restaurant without pay...
This is a re
Diego Bajo
no me ha gustado
[Peeta]
Jul 10, 2015 [Peeta] rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Es muy tierno pero me falto mas emociones
Yuuka Matuda
Apr 16, 2014 Yuuka Matuda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1.o.henry oxford 2rating
2.4/14 20minutes
4/16 60minutes
3.present:hair:prison:church:lawyear:beatiful:friend
4.(a)i like a passage that a wife selled her hair for giving her husband christmas present.
(b) the famiry is very poor. in chrirtmas she have only one dollar and eighty-seven cents. she decided to sell her beautiful hair. for me, my hair is important. i was impressed that acting for giving him present.

5.thir book has 5stories. every stories are very interesting.
Yuki
Apr 16, 2016 Yuki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes classics
Read this book for the first time a few years ago. Reread it again yesterday and still love it. O. Henry's stories give you vivid pictures of lives of New Yorkers. Some are rich, some are poor, some are happy, some are sad, some have found love, some are looking for love.

The only thing that I dislike is that it's kinda annoying to read in Stage 2, Oxford. Too many easy words take away the original feeling of the stories.
Mai Hayashi
Oxford Bookworms Library, level 2

Time : 1/13 = 80 minutes
7 words summary : New York, people, change, happy, town, live, life
Discussion questions:
1. Have you ever got money by selling when you don't have much money?

Yes, I have. I had sold my comic books, because I don't need that comic books.

2, Have you ever been to New York?

Yes, I have. I visit times square, the statue of libaty. I enjoyed to watch browdway musical.
ちえ
Jun 04, 2013 ちえ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oxford Bookworms Library, level 2.
80min
christmas/present/restaurant/prison/theater/happy/interesting

there are five stories. my favorite is first one.
it makes my hart warm!

Q:waht do you want for christmas present?
A:I want a lot of cosmetics, but santa didn't come my house until i was a high school student.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Piano
  • A Little Princess (Oxford Bookworms Library)
  • The Secret Garden (Oxford Bookworms Library)
  • The Railway Children
  • পাগলা দাশু
  • The Price Was High: Fifty Uncollected Stories
  • Danger in Darjeeling
  • Fly Away Home
  • Novels & Stories 1950-62: Player Piano/The Sirens of Titan/Mother Night/Stories
  • Cuentos imprescindibles