Start by marking “The Girl Who Lived with the Bears” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Lived with the Bears

The Girl Who Lived with the Bears

When a chief’s spoiled young daughter sets out to collect berries, she sees no reason to sing bear songs like her friends do--why should she honor the creatures of the forest? This traditional Native American tale from the Pacific Northwest offers a compelling lesson of tolerance and respect for the natural world. “A graceful and poignant retelling.”--Publishers Weekly
Published March 1st 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Lived with the Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Lived with the Bears

Jordan Plank
Sep 27, 2016 Jordan Plank rated it it was ok
Shelves: el-230
This book introduces some native American culture which is a plus. The book also has wonderful illustrations in my opinion. However, the one drawback I see is that in a particular part of the book it talks about "giving birth". Nothing graphic but it may bring up questions a teacher does not want to have to answer inside the classroom. I might hesitate to use the book in its entirety within my own classroom for that reason.
Maddy Hay
A chief's daughter is captured by Bears because she was talking disrespectfully of them. The bears could turn into humans whenever they wanted to and the young girl thought the bears were disgusting. In exchange for her life the Bear chief arranged for her to marry his nephew. After a while, the girl became to love her sweet husband and had two cubs who also could change into humans. Her brother comes in search for her and kills her bears husband and takes her back to her own village. The women ...more
Morgan Wright
Oct 05, 2012 Morgan Wright rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601
I thought this book was very engaging and would be a great book for the beginning of the school year with a new class. This book uses a unique way of portraying characters to show that differences are not bad and teaches that we cannot judge something before fully understanding it. It shows children that often times we do not like things, when, in reality, we simply are unfamiliar with them.
Sep 22, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A beautifully illustrated book. The author does a great job of catching the readers interest and describing this different culture. It is a great traditional tale. It teaches children about respecting the earth and all of the animals.
Sara Shupe
Sara Shupe rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2012
♥☆~Lakshmi
♥☆~Lakshmi rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2009
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2016
Mack
Mack rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Nicholas Clinch
Nicholas Clinch rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Jodi Connolly
Jodi Connolly rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Alejandra
Alejandra rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2009
Mark Noce
Mark Noce rated it liked it
May 06, 2013
Pam
Feb 16, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved the story and the illustrations.
Donna
Donna added it
Aug 13, 2010
Deanne
Deanne added it
Aug 29, 2011
Jorell Manoa
Jorell Manoa marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2013
Anna Fennell
Anna Fennell marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Denver
Denver marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016