Start by marking “Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf” as Want to Read:
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  19 reviews
It's not every little girl who finds a great black wolf at her front door, saying he's going to eat her up. But clever Polly isn't frightened. She has a plan that's bound to foil the stupid wolf.
Published March 30th 1974 by Puffin Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf

Lisa Walshe
This is an excellent book that tells the story of a very clever and witty little girl.

Polly is being tormented by a rather unpleasant wolf who constantly threatens to eat her! Polly, however, is far too clever for the silly wolf and devises a number of delicious ways to prevent him from eating her!

The story is very funny. Any children I have read it to have loved it and have gotten really involved often coming up with their own ideas for how they might have outsmarted the wolf themselves. I th
Rachel
This is the July Waterstones' Children's Book of the Month and while it is my first time reading it (I had not the pleasure of reading this during my childhood) I am glad that it was showcased and given some love from a modern readership. The book has never been out of print, but Catherine Storr's whimsical short stories about a small girl who regularly outsmarts a silly wolf obsessed with devouring little girls, is not one of those classic titles that springs to mind when listing children's boo ...more
D.M.
I had never heard of the Polly and the Wolf books before, and that amazes me. I found the second book in our library, and it was the first book in a long time that made me laugh out loud (at times a bit hysterically). So, naturally, I had to get the first book if for no other reason than to learn how a little girl meets a hungry, stupid wolf to begin with.
This first entry in the series was not quite as funny as the second was, but still quite funny. The pathetic attempts of Wolf to devour Polly,
Maggi Hesseling
A great and funny read, even though Polly is a little condescending towards the wolf. The stories get better as the book progresses as well, with at one moment you rooting for the wolf and in the next you're hitting your head at his stupidity. Kids between the ages of 5 and 8 will love it! It has a great roadrunner vs. Wile E. Coyote feeling to it.
Angela Groves
A wonderfully charming collection of short stories, perfect for young children just getting to grips with reading. each story draws inspiration from exsisting children's stories, superstitions and rhymes, and each story ending with clever Polly outwitting the wolf, giving you a little chuckle and a smile in the process.
Deborah
utterly wonderful book that my sister and I loved when we were kids. and I've just discovered that as well as Polly and the Wolf Again, there's another one - Tales of Polly and the Hungry Wolf!
Emma Turner
A delightful and wonderful book that sees Polly outwit Wolf at every turn. The illustrations are beautiful and really add to the charm of this book. I adored it!
Cleo Bannister
It might be an old one but it is a goody. Clever Polly outsmarts the wolf time and again giving the readers a good old chuckle!
Alison
Brilliant book! It is a very witty story of a bright, resourceful little girl in an ordinary, suburban home who is constantly threatened by a wolf who wants to eat her. However, Polly can always outwit him, whether by letting him scoff chocolate cake so he is too full to eat her, or by confusing him with reason.

This is a collection of short stories rather than a complete narrative in itself. It would be great to read to a class of Y2 children, or as a guided reading text with level 3 readers. Hi
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Not gripping me. Moving on
Lorna
A lovely collection of short stories about a girl called Polly that constantly outwits an increadibly stupid wolf. This is a perfect book for 5-8 year olds that I highly recommend.
Zoe
My cousin had this when we were kids and we seriously listened to it so many times we knew big sections by heart and the tape eventually wore out ... highly recommend it to all who can find it!

The tape contains several almost short stories which together make up the book. The wolf tries hard to capture Polly and eat her but Polly is a quick thinking smart child who always gets away...along the way the wolf tries to get ideas on how to catch Polly from reading fairy tales which is pretty funny!

Xyla
Sooooo funny! I read it with my mom some time ago and really enjoyed it. Not my typical book but the ways that of Polly constantly getting away and the wolf still re-attempting at catching her is hilarious! I had many laugh out loud moments when i read it! I really want to read the second book in the clever Polly series seeing as much as i enjoyed this one! The variety of attempts go from sultana roll to being invisible, I mean honestly how far would you go to eat a juicy little girl? ;)
Zoe
My cousin had this on tape when we were about 8 and we listened to it so much it wore out. Recently purchased and read aloud with my son who is of a similar age and we really enjoyed it. He has since read it several times alone. It is a very good book to encourage children into reading alone as it is not one long story but more like short stories that flow into each other.
Liz
Another children's book! I just can't resist them!

Written in 1955, it is another one that passed me by. Seemed only to have heard of Enid Blyghton down in Somerset in the sixties!

A very endearing book, simple and innocent to much of the children's literature of today, but I enjoyed it all the same.
Sarah Bayless
I read this to my four year old daughter recently. I never read it as a child, so this was my first introduction to it. I found it charming, funny, witty, silly, and a general fun read. It went slightly over my daughters head, so it might have been better for her at 6 or 7.
Linda
Darn funny. & Polly is definitely higher on the clever scale than me!

Yr 1-3 kids will find it a hoot - and it could make for fun mini plays in class.
Fiona
Had this on audio cassette as a kid and loved it. I wonder if I still do have it somewhere though?
Louisa Reid
Loved reading this aloud to my daughter. Funny and clever and perfect for a bedtime story.
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jess Sugiuchi
Jess Sugiuchi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
A. Marie Kaluza
A. Marie Kaluza marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • Haunted House
  • Mr. Majeika
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Dailan Kifki
  • The Real Thief
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Pejsek a kočička
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • That Pesky Rat
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Les contes du chat perché
  • My Place
  • The Night Pirates
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Anno's Journey
Author Catherine Storr was educated at St. Paul's Girls' School and went on to study English at Newnham College, Cambridge. She then went to medical school and worked part-time as a Senior Medical Officer in the Department of Psychological Medicine of the Middlesex Hospital from 1950 to 1963.

Her first book was published in 1940, but was not successful. It was not until the 1950s that her books be
More about Catherine Storr...
Marianne Dreams (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #1) The Mirror Image Ghost Polly And The Wolf Again Marianne and Mark (The Magic Drawing Pencil, #2) The Chinese Egg