Start by marking “Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf” as Want to Read:
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf

Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
It's not every little girl who finds a great black wolf at her front door, saying he's going to eat her up. But clever Polly isn't frightened. She has a plan that's bound to foil the stupid wolf.
Published March 30th 1974 by Puffin Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf

Stef Rozitis
At first you think it is just going to be predictable children's stories in the vein of things like Brer Rabbit Book or Looney tunes (roadrunner for example). I thought it was ok on that level, sometimes a bit whimsical or sentimental but OK. But as I read on there was more to it.

There is the complexity of power and empowerment where Polly feels reliant enough upon her own wits to feed and rescue the wolf (but never speak kindly to him). I tied myself in knots thinking about that. On the one ha
Rebecca McNutt
I used to have a much older edition of this children's novel, but I lost it, so I bought this newer edition. A story of wit and resourcefulness, it's a hilarious test to see whom will outsmart whom in the end.
Lisa Walshe
May 19, 2012 Lisa Walshe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book that tells the story of a very clever and witty little girl.

Polly is being tormented by a rather unpleasant wolf who constantly threatens to eat her! Polly, however, is far too clever for the silly wolf and devises a number of delicious ways to prevent him from eating her!

The story is very funny. Any children I have read it to have loved it and have gotten really involved often coming up with their own ideas for how they might have outsmarted the wolf themselves. I th
Jashim Uddin
Oct 11, 2015 Jashim Uddin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf by Catherine Storr

This is an excellent, humorous book that tells the story of a very clever and witty girl. It consists of 12 chapters, each telling a different short story about a little girl and a wolf whose main desire is to eat her. Many of the stories are based on the wolf’s interpretation of popular fairy tales involving wolves, including Little Red Riding Hood, the Three Little Pigs and the Wolf and the Seven Little Kids. Retelling previous stories allows
Rachel
This is the July Waterstones' Children's Book of the Month and while it is my first time reading it (I had not the pleasure of reading this during my childhood) I am glad that it was showcased and given some love from a modern readership. The book has never been out of print, but Catherine Storr's whimsical short stories about a small girl who regularly outsmarts a silly wolf obsessed with devouring little girls, is not one of those classic titles that springs to mind when listing children's boo ...more
D.M.
Nov 25, 2011 D.M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never heard of the Polly and the Wolf books before, and that amazes me. I found the second book in our library, and it was the first book in a long time that made me laugh out loud (at times a bit hysterically). So, naturally, I had to get the first book if for no other reason than to learn how a little girl meets a hungry, stupid wolf to begin with.
This first entry in the series was not quite as funny as the second was, but still quite funny. The pathetic attempts of Wolf to devour Polly,
Felicity
Dec 30, 2015 Felicity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a charming and funny book about how Polly managed to outwit the wolf who wanted to eat her. I've always been a fan of Catherine Storr since I discovered The Mirror Image Ghost and I enjoyed this book in one sitting. I'd say this is more aimed at younger kids but her writing and well drawn characters still shine through. Perfect for kids who are scared of wolfs!
Maggie Hesseling
A great and funny read, even though Polly is a little condescending towards the wolf. The stories get better as the book progresses as well, with at one moment you rooting for the wolf and in the next you're hitting your head at his stupidity. Kids between the ages of 5 and 8 will love it! It has a great roadrunner vs. Wile E. Coyote feeling to it.
Angela Groves
Jun 22, 2015 Angela Groves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully charming collection of short stories, perfect for young children just getting to grips with reading. each story draws inspiration from exsisting children's stories, superstitions and rhymes, and each story ending with clever Polly outwitting the wolf, giving you a little chuckle and a smile in the process.
Fran
Nov 04, 2015 Fran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2015-books
I read this because I'm friends with the grandson of the author. It was a fun little read which you can enjoy in little bites and each chapter is a story in itself that follows the same basic formula: the wolf wants to eat Polly, Polly outwits the wolf. Hope to read the other volumes in future.
Jake Collins
Mar 30, 2016 Jake Collins rated it really liked it
You'd think a book that focuses almost exclusively on two characters where one is always trying to eat the other might seem sinister, but these stories are so funny and charming that it doesn't come across that way.
Deborah
Jun 07, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
utterly wonderful book that my sister and I loved when we were kids. and I've just discovered that as well as Polly and the Wolf Again, there's another one - Tales of Polly and the Hungry Wolf!
Emma
Jul 03, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful and wonderful book that sees Polly outwit Wolf at every turn. The illustrations are beautiful and really add to the charm of this book. I adored it!
Cleo Bannister
Jan 17, 2015 Cleo Bannister rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It might be an old one but it is a goody. Clever Polly outsmarts the wolf time and again giving the readers a good old chuckle!
Linda882
Aug 30, 2015 Linda882 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Annoying Polly more like. I guess you have to be 7 to appreciate it. This was one of my least children's book reads.
Hazel
Dec 06, 2015 Hazel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the cassette audiobook on repeat as a child, it's why I grew up clever! Maybe?
Laura Myers
Jan 27, 2016 Laura Myers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great twist. Also, I cannot resist a protagonist named Polly!
Alison
Brilliant book! It is a very witty story of a bright, resourceful little girl in an ordinary, suburban home who is constantly threatened by a wolf who wants to eat her. However, Polly can always outwit him, whether by letting him scoff chocolate cake so he is too full to eat her, or by confusing him with reason.

This is a collection of short stories rather than a complete narrative in itself. It would be great to read to a class of Y2 children, or as a guided reading text with level 3 readers. Hi
Neil Rushton
Blast from the very distant past! and i loved it! :)
Brondrew
Sep 06, 2015 Brondrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!
Lorna
Jul 11, 2015 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of short stories about a girl called Polly that constantly outwits an increadibly stupid wolf. This is a perfect book for 5-8 year olds that I highly recommend.
Zoe
My cousin had this when we were kids and we seriously listened to it so many times we knew big sections by heart and the tape eventually wore out ... highly recommend it to all who can find it!

The tape contains several almost short stories which together make up the book. The wolf tries hard to capture Polly and eat her but Polly is a quick thinking smart child who always gets away...along the way the wolf tries to get ideas on how to catch Polly from reading fairy tales which is pretty funny!

Xyla
Mar 21, 2013 Xyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-books
Sooooo funny! I read it with my mom some time ago and really enjoyed it. Not my typical book but the ways that of Polly constantly getting away and the wolf still re-attempting at catching her is hilarious! I had many laugh out loud moments when i read it! I really want to read the second book in the clever Polly series seeing as much as i enjoyed this one! The variety of attempts go from sultana roll to being invisible, I mean honestly how far would you go to eat a juicy little girl? ;)
Zoe
My cousin had this on tape when we were about 8 and we listened to it so much it wore out. Recently purchased and read aloud with my son who is of a similar age and we really enjoyed it. He has since read it several times alone. It is a very good book to encourage children into reading alone as it is not one long story but more like short stories that flow into each other.
Mmeg16
Feb 08, 2016 Mmeg16 added it
1001 children's books you must read before you grow up
Liz
Another children's book! I just can't resist them!

Written in 1955, it is another one that passed me by. Seemed only to have heard of Enid Blyghton down in Somerset in the sixties!

A very endearing book, simple and innocent to much of the children's literature of today, but I enjoyed it all the same.
Sarah Bayless
Oct 27, 2015 Sarah Bayless rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my four year old daughter recently. I never read it as a child, so this was my first introduction to it. I found it charming, funny, witty, silly, and a general fun read. It went slightly over my daughters head, so it might have been better for her at 6 or 7.
Linda
Darn funny. & Polly is definitely higher on the clever scale than me!

Yr 1-3 kids will find it a hoot - and it could make for fun mini plays in class.
Fiona
Had this on audio cassette as a kid and loved it. I wonder if I still do have it somewhere though?
Louisa Reid
Mar 31, 2012 Louisa Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this aloud to my daughter. Funny and clever and perfect for a bedtime story.
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • Mr. Majeika
  • Haunted House
  • Dailan Kifki
  • Dinosaurs and All That Rubbish
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • The Real Thief
  • Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • Little Old Mrs. Pepperpot
  • My Place
  • The Night Pirates
  • That Pesky Rat
Author Catherine Storr was educated at St. Paul's Girls' School and went on to study English at Newnham College, Cambridge. She then went to medical school and worked part-time as a Senior Medical Officer in the Department of Psychological Medicine of the Middlesex Hospital from 1950 to 1963.

Her first book was published in 1940, but was not successful. It was not until the 1950s that her books be
More about Catherine Storr...