Gethsemane

Gethsemane

4.65 of 5 stars 4.65  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Published October 1st 2002 by Deseret Book Company

Ane
I could read these series of books over and over and over again. Andrew C. Skinner is one of the guys you see on Sunday morning on PBS doing the scripture round-table discussion. He offers amazing insight and each chapter I took something new with me. I loved loved loved these books!
They are all about the Savior and the need for an atonement, and how truly a great and marvelous gift it is!
Read it! :)
I had no idea this book was part of a series. I am anxious to read the other two books! It was an incredible and humbling read for me. It helped to personalize the Atonement for me. It has touched aspects of my life I previously had not thought of within the realm of the Atonement. It's an easy read, but I couldn't get through it quickly; I stopped almost every paragraph to ponder, look up scripture, and give thanks to my God.
Michael Adamson
Jun 25, 2008 Michael Adamson rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Michael by: Self
One of the best books you'll ever read. Again, probably in my top 10. Some very good exegesis of scripture I have read in a long time. Very easy to read. This book will help bring greater appreciation and understanding of what really did happen in the Garden of Gethsemane. This is an excellent first book in the trio of the trials the Lord when through in Gethsemane, Golgotha and the Garden.
Cindy
There are 3 books in this series. Gethsemane, Golgatha and the Garden Tomb. I really enjoyed all three. They are very descriptive and give a detailed description about what it would have been like for the Savior to experience these sufferings. If you are a feeler you will be even more touched by the books.
Amy
I LOVE this book! So easy to read, but so much great information! I understood and had a testimony of the Power of the Atonement, but this book really helped me gain a testimony understand how it applies to me personally!
Tawnya
This is an awesome book. I recommend it to every and anyone. Very insightful. I especially loved the section/information of the Mount of Olives and the symbolism of the olives.
A must read!!
Tad
Great insights to the events of Gethsemane. Easy to read and understand. It gave me an expanded view of what our Savior suffered during his time in the Garden.
Katie
This is a great book! Enlightening - I would recommend it to anyone. I read it the first time right after high school, and recently re-read it.
Tiffany
This book is awesome. I know it's not scripture but it gives some really good insights and stuff to think about and I really enjoyed it.
Liz
A very poignant yet readable explaination of the importance, the symbolism, and the effects of the atonement of Christ. Awesome!
Melissa
This is part of a 3 part series and I absolutely loved these books! Very educational but not too doctrinal or dry.
Stef Asalone
My FAVORITE Church book. A marvelous testimony of the power and depth of the Atonement.
Amanda Allen
In an attempt to recognize The Lord in my life for the Christmas season and to acknowledge what His life means to me, I decided to read some non-fiction about what His life means, and I started with Gethsemane.

This is a lovely, concise, clear book about what the purpose of His suffering means and why we suffer, "God will feel after you, and He will take hold of you and wrench your very heart strings, and if you can not stand it you will not be fit for an inheritance in the Celestial Kingdom of...more
Spencer
Oct 02, 2008 Spencer rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: LDS readers
I thought this book was well written. Dr. Skinner is certainly qualified being the Dean of Religious Education and professor of ancient scripture at BYU and holding a master's degree in theology from Harvard and a Ph.D in history from University of Denver. I think the value of this book comes from the historical and symbolic content rather than spiritual insights - although sometimes its impossible to separate the two.

Dr. Skinner uses his knowledge of ancient languages, symbolism, and scripture...more
CarolAnn
Andrew C. Skinner did a very good collection of information. I was informed on things that I didn't know and that is always good in a non-fiction type book. I hadn't thought of the term "awestruck" or "surprise" as one of the descriptions that Jesus had when he suffered the sins of the world in Gethsemane. But it made sense when the author brought out some very good points. How else could a perfect being who never experienced sin feel when the sins of the world were upon him. To quote the author...more
Kim
Wow, I learned a lot and it caused me to reflect on the great suffering of my Lord and Savior. Great read and starting on the next book in this series.
Phillip
Andrew C. Skinner compiles a rich collection of information from Ancient Scripture and Modern Day prophets to paint a well charted exploration of the significance of the suffering Christ underwent in Gesthemane's garden. He examines the scope of the atonement's reach as well as the precursing practices to the Lord's great sacrifice. Although most of the content served as a good review, it did include some new insights for me. Of great interest to me was the segment discussing the symbolic links...more
Don Stanton
Val
I loved this book! It really made me think and taught me a lot about the Atonement and how much Jesus loves us. I think if I learned anything I learned that. This is a very moving book, especially the opening. I had tears in my eyes many many times through out reading this. This is a 3 part series. I have ordered the other 2 books which I will read next. This is a very easy read as well. If you want to come closer to Christ and learn more about his love for us I definitely recommend this book.
Amy Nielsen (is going cerebral for 2014)
Some really great concepts which I found worthy of spending extra time thinking about. However I found some other parts very tedious and often repetitive.

On the other hand, it was a fairly quick read and helps us understand on a broader scope what actually Gethsemane is/was, and the part it played in Jesus' ministry and the Atonement. I think a lot of people don't understand how this fits in with the Atonement and could benefit from reading this book.
Lori Bond
I really enjoyed this book. It really puts into perspective the sacrifice Christ was willing to make for us. More importantly I felt as if I really came to know him on a human level. It was a wonderful book. There are 2 more in the series that are just as inspiring. Excellent read for anyone who wants to learn more about Christ and the Atonement.
Mandy Blackburn
Brother Skinner has written a book that helps one come just a bit closer to understanding the atonement and exactly what it is our Savior did for us. He has achieved much in doing that. I spent a very ponderous week and a half reading this book and I am grateful it was put in my hands.
Ryan Daley
Good book - chapter three is by far the greatest discussion on the atonement I have every read!
Solveig
Apr 24, 2013 Solveig rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Solveig by: Carrie Bounous Zabaldo
Shelves: religion
En innsiktsfull bok om det som skjedde Skjærtorsdag og i Getsemane hage. Min forståelse av hva Jesus Kristus gjorde og hvorfor han gjorde det har vokst. Det igjen har gitt meg en større kjærlighet til Frelseren, og jeg ønsker enda mer å følge Ham og gjøre som han gjorde.
trachelle
loved this in-depth look at the atonement. all based on scriptures and the words of the prophets. really helped define the concept of christ's infinite atonement, how it works, and what it covers. amazing.
Mary
A wonderful book to read with Golgotha and The Garden Tomb. During this time of turbulence and trials for so many, these books were a calming influence and a vivid reminder of what is most important.
Debbie
wow. this is such a great book. i enjoy this author so much and combined with his partner book------golgotha . i have learned so much about the last weeks of Christ's
life.
Kevin
What a great book! 1st in a series of 3. Skinner is a Bible scholar, and did a fantastic job at discussing Gethsamane, why it was important, how it applies to us, etc.
Traci
This series by Skinner helped me to see the Savior's life, atonement, death, and resurrection in a new, profound way. They are beautiful books.
kaoyler
This was a powerful book. The insight it gives to the greatest moment in history is amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.
Gethsemane 1 7 Feb 20, 2008 12:44PM
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • The Continuous Atonement
  • The Infinite Atonement
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: John Taylor
  • House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple
  • Temple and Cosmos: Beyond This Ignorant Present (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 12)
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • God Wants A Powerful People
Andrew C. Skinner was born and raised in Colorado. He attended the University of Colorado where he earned his B.A. degree in history. He then earned an M.A. degree from the Iliff School of Theology in Jewish Studies and a Th.M. degree from Harvard in Biblical Hebrew. He did graduate work at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel. His Ph.D. was awarded from the University of Denver in Near Eastern...more
More about Andrew C. Skinner...
Golgotha Temple Worship: 20 Truths That Will Bless Your Life The Garden Tomb C.S. Lewis: the man and his message Best-Loved Talks of the Lds People