Start by marking “The Energy of Slaves” as Want to Read:
The Energy of Slaves

The Energy of Slaves

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  317 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published January 1st 1972 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about The Energy of Slaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Energy of Slaves

Lois
I really enjoyed this collection of poems. It has a vibrant sense of youth - full of anger, lust, insecurity, sarcasm, and a disguised kind of idealism. I think it feels much more raw and therefore in some ways more powerful than the other works by Cohen that I have read. It doesn't hurt that I literally LOLed at times, too - would never have expected that from this book!
Jovana Vesper
Dragi moj Leonarde, 42 godine nas dele između ove tvoje pesme i današnjice u Srbiji i kako je čitam tako drhtim.. gde je snaga robova osim u trpljenju?

"Ubice koje vladaju

Iskreno govoreći ne verujem
da iko od njih
zaista želi da reši
naše socijalne probleme

Zasnivam sve ovo na osnovu onoga što osećam
prema susedu
Samo se na
Raegan Butcher
This is my favorite collection of Leonard Cohen's poetry.
Documentally
Some dark moments. Some bright vivid ones too.
I feel I'm hard to stun with words but there were a few moments here I had to reread.. Hoping they were fiction. Glad for the reflection.
Leonor
“Who could have foretold
the heart grows old
from touching others”
T-Rose
i hardly read poetry. i am forever picky about because it can become very boring very fast for me if i am not wooed from the get go. actually, not just wooed. i would even appreciate being disgusted, but instead, i found this to be astoundingly honest, ruthless and crucial medicine. this is for the ones who want to keep that mind openly educated and fed. after this, i am most dfeinitely stuffed yet yearning dazedly for more. yum.
Corey Deiterman
I enjoyed a lot of the poems in this a lot and Cohen's wit was in full force even this early in his career. However, some of the poems are very much of their time (dealing with the Civil Rights movement and the Vietnam War) and so seem sort of dated. Others seems almost amateurish compared to Cohen's later brilliance, which is to be expected considering this is one of his earliest works.
Poupeh
Absolutely loved some of the poems, liked many others, did not feel much for the rest.
both political and emotional... Cohen is personal as always

two of my favorite ones:

"All men delight you

If you ever read this
think of the man writing it

he hated the world on your behalf"

&

"Each man
has a way to betray
the revolution
This is mine"
David
My introduction to Cohen's poetry...I have a deeply nostalgic attachment to this work. Even so I feel confident in recommending to new readers and the younger audience who loves his evocative and deeply personal/mystical style.
Jeffrey
Not as powerful to my mind as Beautiful Losers - though I certainly much preferred this to The Book of Mercy! I am exploring Cohen's work and I am going to read Favourite Game and the selected poems next
Valerie
I bought a man his dinner
He did not wish to look me in the eyes
He ate in peace

Cohen is probably my favorite living poet/songwriter. I find his voice sexy, although perhaps not musical.
Krzysztof
Mostly immature and way too fond of the word "cunt", but I did like this one:

Love is a fire
It burns everyone
It disfigures everyone
It is the world's excuse
for being ugly
Kimberly
Quite a bit about the relationship to poetry and writing. Just some of the poems didn't resonate with me.
Brenda Moffitt
Surprisingly not very good. I think he was saving all the best lines for his songs.
Astrid
Contundente... Para leer y releer varias veces a lo largo de toda la vida.
Ian
Read and re-read over many decades. Has become a friend.
Miss Abernathy
Miss Abernathy marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Durdie Sauf
Durdie Sauf marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Aziz
Aziz marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Diego Pereyra
Diego Pereyra marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Io?
Io? marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Lisa
Lisa added it
Feb 06, 2015
Dubes
Dubes marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • Poems
  • The Night Torn Mad With Footsteps
  • Human Wishes
52060
Leonard Norman Cohen is a Canadian singer-songwriter, poet and novelist. Cohen published his first book of poetry in Montreal in 1956 and his first novel in 1963.
Cohen's earliest songs (many of which appeared on the 1968 album Songs of Leonard Cohen) were rooted in European folk music melodies and instrumentation, sung in a high baritone. The 1970s were a musically restless period in which his inf
More about Leonard Cohen...
Beautiful Losers Book of Longing Stranger Music: Selected Poems and Songs The Favorite Game Selected Poems, 1956-1968

“Who could have foretold
the heart grows old
from touching others”
14 likes
“I walk through the old yellow sunlight
to get to my kitchen table
the poem about me
lying there with the books
in which I am listed
among the dead and future Dylans”
4 likes