Start by marking “The Hipster Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Hipster Handbook

The Hipster Handbook

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  728 ratings  ·  90 reviews
hip•ster - \hip-stur (s)\ n. One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally ...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Anchor

To ask other readers questions about The Hipster Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hipster Handbook

Fight Club by Chuck PalahniukHigh Fidelity by Nick HornbyTrainspotting by Irvine WelshThe Zombie Room by R.D. RonaldThe Elephant Tree by R.D. Ronald
Talking 'Bout My Generation...
112th out of 490 books — 448 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareVampire Academy by Richelle MeadClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Excellence in sarcasm
126th out of 259 books — 413 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack
Without this book I wouldn't know how to categorize, rank, and otherwise pigeonhole everyone I meet. Thanks, Hipster Handbook!
Rowena
This book was hilarious! I have absolutely nothing against hipsters but the title caught my eye, and I wanted to learn more about hipsters since Vancouver may be the hipster capital of Canada. This book mainly consists of lists to educate the reader about hipsters; for example, different types of hipsters, the kind of music they like, a glossary of hipster slang (I didn't recognize a single one),types of facial hair,the books they read, which colleges they are most likely to go to, and so on. It ...more
Printable Tire
Less a hipster handbook than a satire of a trend that never existed, or, more accurately, existed for two years between 2000-2002, this book is a good cultural relic for a time when hipsters thought computers were lame and still liked rock and roll. Some of it's pretty funny, and I learned some things along the way. For instance, did you know Walt Disney founded the California Institute of the Arts? Or that Willard Scott was Bozo the Clown? And I keep on laughing when I read this line:
"Hipsters
Karol
I was given a copy of The Hipster Handbook by a former writing student who was bartending at the Knitting Factory for the book release party. I'd shown up for the Gotham Writers' Workshop faculty reading that followed the party, and Larry--my former student who'd missed most of my classes to deal with a "police matter" in Los Angeles--told me wryly, "I'm a Bipster." That's Hipster Handbook-speak for a blue-collar histper. Bipsters like playing darts and are prone to date rape. As if! Larry and I ...more
Tracey
A Christmas gift from my mom - The Hipster Handbook has been my bathroom read for the last 2 weeks or so.

A field guide to those who possess tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed "cool" by the cool; (except it's no longer cool to say "cool" - "deck" is the preferred term), this slim volume presents the world of the hipster in a straightforward manner. Overviews of the subtypes (Unemployed Trust-Funder, Clubber, The Schmooze, Waitstaff & Service Hipster, Neo-Crunch, & Bipster, am
Jodie
Funny! The copy I read (from my local public library)had HIGHLIGHTED pages in the dating section-that made it even funnier. Everyone knows a few people who fit the hipster mold (I am not one of them). I thought of a hipster that was omitted- hairdresser/make up artist...I know a few.
Harris
When I was younger, growing up not really connected to the “cool” and “fashionable” and living on the fringes of various subcultures, I occasionally wondered about the future and what trends, new fashions, and fads would come into being in the futuristic 2000s. I remember being vaguely aware of this new “hipster” thing, specifically from this book, which I flipped through casually at various bookstores and heard interviews on NPR, but not really connecting it to greater pop cultural themes. Now, ...more
Lavinutza666
Hipsters have their own society, that is living off the general society. Even though they are generally illustrates as young people, hipsers age, as the book indicates, but with age the hipster essence fades.

I liked the small ironic treaty about hipsters. It's pseudo-scientific, well written and not to mention funny. It analyses hipsters from all points of view and also it categorieses them.

The hipster handbook makes a big step in introducing the non-hipster to the small culture. With pick up l
Hank Stuever
Classic spotting and naming of a thing everyone sensed and needed defined just at that moment.
Aaron
I picked this one up because I felt that I needed a laugh. I live in a lower middle class area so we don't have too many hipsters. Self proclaimed "rednecks" are in abundance though. The few "hipsters" I have encountered (mostly at uni) are kind of stuck up, albeit interesting people. Actually, most people i run into that I would call hipsters arw fairly interesting.

This book mostly highlights the main attributes of hipsters. However, this ook was written ten years ago so it makes some "dated"
Ashley

I honestly just didn't find this book to be funny at all, or even make sense for that matter. I suppose it's mostly because it's from 2002 or so, but I was really hoping to have a laugh while reading this, but also have something along the lines of the "Everybody Hurts" guide to being emo or whatever it's called... I actually found that book to be humorous in my youth while this one just falls incredibly short. Some of the things are sort of true which can be funny, but most of the time I was s
Jill
I, like totally bought this book, because it was so not hip for hipsters to admit to even knowing about this, and like, I had to stay one step ahead of the game by embracing the unhip and making it ironic. If that's not deck, what is?

Seriously, really amusing and dead-on with the stereotypes! Although I think the author may have used the 'essential reads' chapter to plug his friends' books...

Now this begs the question as what what the new cool will look like.
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Posturers.
Shelves: humor, reference
...because it's important to know who to avoid. Perhaps I just know one too many of these people, but I found this book to be both hilarious and invaluable. I also found the descriptions of the various types of hipsters alarmingly on-target. Not only do I know one of each of them, I even know some that have been all of them at various stages. Truly, this book has helped me pigeonhole a lot of people I'd have otherwise wasted valuable waking thoughts on.

NC
Sarah Sammis
So here I am dressed as fin as imaginable in my tie-die shirt and the test at the end of the book tells me I'm deck. The test came out more accurately for my husband pointing him out for for the poseur that he is. The illustrations are best part of the book and the most boring bits have to be the lengthy explanations of the various types of hipsters. By about the third one I just started skipping through these sections.
Katie
May 19, 2008 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jaded former urban outfitters employees
so this was a funny gift from one Sarah Parker.. it has some pretty hilarious little cartoons if I remember correctly. While on some level it was kind of accurate (I could definitely think of people that resemble some of its categories), it should by no means be taken as a literal handbook.. its already outdated and anyone that actually fits into its prescription is by no means "hip".
Katie
Nov 27, 2007 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nerds & People Formerly Known As Hipsters
Terribly funny...especially to those of us who are so far removed from hipsterdom that we can laugh at our own attempts to be cool.

I love handbooks for cool. They are totally cool.

P.S. Don't read this book if you can't laugh at yourself because you will inevitably fall into one of the listed categories if you think of yourself at all outside the norm and were born after 1975.
Juju
Learn where hipsters hang out and their alcoholic drinks of choice! Check out the types of hipster and see which you are or wish you were! Browse the glossary for lots of hilarious hipsterspeak I've never heard anyone use! Peruse the hipster hairdo galleries! Study the hipster love chart and see which matches are sure things and which are likely to crash and burn!
Spencer
maybe this is only funny if you have lived in such a hipster rich town such as seattle, but this humor is so brutal and dead on that its not humorous, its sad really. he pretentiously tears down pretentiousness. and he talks about chihuahomos - queer dudes with cute little dogs. no one will be better for reading this and they will probably be worse.
Rachel Anita ♥
It was funny, but kind of killing the point. I get it, Lanham.
Meg
Jan 07, 2013 Meg rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
Several years ago, a friend got me a copy of this and I am just now getting around to reading it. I didn't know what a hipster was but she was convinced I was/am one.

I was hoping this would make the matter clear.

It didn't.

I am now more confused about hipster culture than ever.

However, it was pretty funny in parts.
Liz Diamond
Comprehensive and thorough. Very informative. Also existential. Hipsters love to make fun of other hipsters, without realizing that they themselves are also hipsters. Am I a hipster? What makes hipster truely a hipster? What is the essense of "hipster"? No one can ever really answer thse burning questions. But thank god someone tried.
Patrick
Funny, spot-on send-up of the young, urban, and cooler-than-thou. Fashion styles, music musts, ironic paraphernalia and other essential folkways are explored in this manual. There are pictures, too, but the only problem is that by mocking hipsters, you essentially become a hipster yourself. It's a paradox. Think about it.
Callina
Pretty funny, especially if you are a hipster or have lots of hipster friends and like to laugh at them and/or yourself, or if you just want to look into becoming a hipster, this is the guide for you. I thought it was also very apropos that I bought this at Powell's in Portland, which I think is some kind of Mecca for hipsters.
Kristin
the worst part about this book isn't that you know these people -- it's that you ARE one of the character types described. this was hilarious. very funny take on the culture of the cool kids. the interesting effect of reading this book is that after you realize you're part of a scene, you want to leave it immediately.
Chris "Stu"
Don't buy it. It's no different from what you can find on a thousand other blogs. There are some moments of recognition in it for anyone remotely interested in, well, culture, or anyone who has friends between the ages of 18-35, but it's not particularly smart or funny or worth your time to seek out.
Kathryn
There was a time when this was the funniest book in existence..now it's a stale joke, but you can steal appreciate it for it's pre-trend genius. The illustrations make it happen.

The sequel about all "other" types of people in the world non-hipster has a few shining moments, but overall is a let down.
Jul 29, 2012 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hipsters in denial, hipsters,
Shelves: books-i-own
i bought this in 2004- back when Dazzler was still called Totally Radd!! and the epithet of choice was "indie", not hipster.

basically i read this before it went mainstream.

its okay, hipster
Hilary
Thanks to this book, I now can pigeonhole most people I know into various stereotypes. The joy!

All the same, this book was entertaining. It had silly illustrations and was written in humorous way. I can now finally understand the true nature of pretension.
Mike
Nov 18, 2007 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who don't take shit seriously
Tim recommended it to me. The book has only gotten funnier since I moved to Seattle. And I would feel the same way even if it didn't mention my alma mater on page 98. Though I would say there are enough jokes I don't get that I can't give it the full five stars.
  • Hipster Christianity: When Church and Cool Collide
  • Everybody Hurts: An Essential Guide to Emo Culture
  • The Hedonism Handbook: Mastering The Lost Arts Of Leisure And Pleasure
  • Whiter Shades of Pale: The Stuff White People Like, Coast to Coast, from Seattle's Sweaters to Maine's Microbrews
  • Swell: A Girl's Guide to the Good Life
  • American Freak Show: The Completely Fabricated Stories of Our New National Treasures
  • Stuff Hipsters Hate: A Field Guide to the Passionate Opinions of the Indifferent
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • Age of Fracture
  • Weird Like Us: My Bohemian America
  • Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit
  • Hella Nation: Looking for Happy Meals in Kandahar, Rocking the Side Pipe,Wingnut's War Against the GAP, and Other Adventures with the Totally Lost Tribes of America
  • Two Gentlemen of Lebowski: A Most Excellent Comedie and Tragical Romance
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2001
  • The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
  • Andy Rooney: 60 Years of Wisdom and Wit
  • American Zombie Gothic: The Rise and Fall (and Rise) of the Walking Dead in Popular Culture
Robert Lanham is the author of the beach towel classic, The Emerald Beach Trilogy, which includes the acclaimed works PreCoitus, Coitus, and Afterglow. More recent books include the satirical anthropological studies The Hipster Handbook, Food Court Druids, Cherohonkees, and other Creatures Unique the Republic, and The Sinner's Guide to the Evangelical Right. Lanham's writing has appeared in The Ne ...more
More about Robert Lanham...
Food Court Druids, Cherohonkees and Other Creatures Unique to theRepublic The Sinner's Guide to the Evangelical Right