Audition For Murder

Audition For Murder

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Acclaimed novelist Sussman turns her light, comedic touch and sparkling writing to mysteries. Introducing 30-something actress Morgan Taylor, whose first role in months is a juicy part in a 40-year-old play rumored to be cursed. Then one cast member -- then another -- dies.

Showcasing Sussman's trademark skill with characters that include Morgan's pal Beth, who suffers from

Published (first published January 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Audition For Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Audition For Murder

The Shoulders of Giants by Jim CliffThe Black Hour by Lori Rader-DayHard Time by Sara ParetskyIndemnity Only by Sara ParetskyMissing Persons by Clare O'Donohue
Chicago Crime Fiction
122nd out of 130 books — 42 voters
The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerBinding Arbitration by Elizabeth MarxThe Jungle by Upton SinclairDivergent by Veronica Roth
Books Set in Chicago
143rd out of 280 books — 230 voters

More lists with this book...

Crete Public Library District
Review by Kelly (Administration)

Audition for Murder is a fun mystery read. It follows many of the conventions of modern mysteries. A quirky female heroine who is a reluctant / accidental detective, a real detective who is sexy and available and attracted to said quirky female heroine, and a clever cast of characters.

What this book excels at is giving people an intriguing glimpse into the world of The Theater.

The main characters are well written, the "who-dun-it" twists adequately, and the voic...more
Lis Carey
Chicago actress Morgan Taylor is thrilled to get an audition for a major production of a play, not quite as happy to find that she is paired for the audition with aging, not-very-talented Lily London, very unhappy when Lily doesn't show and she has to read with a monotone stagehand--and hysterical when she discovers Lily London, dead, in the ladies' room afterwards.

Her unhappiness knows no bounds when her best friend Beth, suffering from multiple sclerosis and the unexpected heir of Lily's unsus...more
Caroline Leathers-meyer
This book was an exciting read. The cynical, fresh commented Morgan was a joy to get to know. Her journey through the entire mystery was light and fresh. The pages turned easily and every character was likable, even the small appearance in the first chapter by Lilly London and the back biting actress who tries to be Morgan's competition. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to relax and enjoy a fun comedy.
Kim
I was looking for a light mystery and I got it with this one...not overly impressed by writing, found the mystery itself to be boring, and didn't find myself bonding with the characters. Won't choose this author again. Having said that, I've read worse!

Premise - actress (protagonist) auditions for play, gets part, murder(s) happen to people involved with play, mystery solved by end of book.
Carolyn
picked this up on a whim. It says it was the authors first murder mystery. It shows. The action doesn't advance fast enough for a while; the characters aren't as sharp as they could be; she leaves a few too many loose ends at the end. But it was a decent airplane book.
Kelly
I also got sucked into the characters' lives alot more than I expected. The ending was rushed, but I enjoyed the build up till the mystery was solved. I'll be looking for more books by this author.
Carla Olivier
I think this is a very great book, though it may have lacked to be as well-rounded as many published stories are. But still, it is a very fascinating and captivating story that will leave you guessing who the true "murderer" might be.
Helen
My husband and I listened to this mystery during a car trip and it was great! I enjoyed the behind the scenes look at an actor's world and liked the main character. I'd like to find more books by this author.
Carrie
This was just a fun quick read. I really liked the characters and the plot development. I learned a lot about the live theater community in Chicago as well as how someone trying to hide MS feels.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book partially because a good portion of the action takes place in a theatre with actors as characters. A good quick, light read. I will read her second book in the series.
Rachel
I really liked it. Gets into the world of actors - which I know nothing about. I wish the author had written more. Great mystery.
Lois
Sassy, interesting lead--an aspiring actress. Good writing. I'd read more by Sussman.
Michele
Light, but enjoyable.
Kate Spear
Great beach read!
Diann Brown
Diann Brown is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Srikanth
Srikanth marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Mary Elliott
Mary Elliott marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Mary Penchalk
Mary Penchalk marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Dieter " Limited First Edition" Cruising for Murder There's No Such Thing as a Chanukah Bush, Sandy Goldstein The Dieter Young Wives' Tales