Start by marking “Audition for Murder” as Want to Read:
Audition for Murder

Audition for Murder

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Welcome to the world of Morgan Taylor, a thirtysomething struggling actress who is dying for a juicy role in a prestigious revival on the Chicago stage. She hasn't had a real role in months, and the chance to work with the esteemed director Martin Wexler has her practically salivating. Though Morgan shows up right on time for the audition, Lily London, her assigned auditio ...more
Published January 15th 1999 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Audition for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Audition for Murder

Jan C
I just picked this one kind of at random. So it was a pleasant surprise. First off, it takes place in Chicago. A backstage mystery.

Morgan Taylor is a struggling actor in the Chicago theatrical community - at the Heartland (there's a nearby restaurant by that name) Theater. But her partner doesn't seem to be showing up. She finally auditions with someone else. Goes downstairs to a lesser used rest room and discovers her dead partner. Naturally she is a suspect. She left threatening messages on t
Crete Public Library District
Review by Kelly (Administration)

Audition for Murder is a fun mystery read. It follows many of the conventions of modern mysteries. A quirky female heroine who is a reluctant / accidental detective, a real detective who is sexy and available and attracted to said quirky female heroine, and a clever cast of characters.

What this book excels at is giving people an intriguing glimpse into the world of The Theater.

The main characters are well written, the "who-dun-it" twists adequately, and the voic
Lis Carey
Chicago actress Morgan Taylor is thrilled to get an audition for a major production of a play, not quite as happy to find that she is paired for the audition with aging, not-very-talented Lily London, very unhappy when Lily doesn't show and she has to read with a monotone stagehand--and hysterical when she discovers Lily London, dead, in the ladies' room afterwards.

Her unhappiness knows no bounds when her best friend Beth, suffering from multiple sclerosis and the unexpected heir of Lily's unsus
Susan
Morgan is desperate to get an acting job in a revival of an old play, directed by the original director, even when she finds the body of her reading partner, an elderly actress who has come under the protective wing of Morgan's best friend Beth. Morgan gets the part, but the ailing Beth comes under suspicion. Can Morgan help her while she's falling for the lead detective herself? And while someone just may be trying to kill her, too? Least likely culprit--you won't see this ending coming.
Leslea
What a delightfully quirky book. A murder mystery set in the theatrical world of stage plays. Provides a real insight into the lives of actors, you can almost smell the grease paint. Morgan Taylor is our main character striving for a part in a play. The book is told from her view point with lots of humour as she tries to solve the crime, possibly fall in love with the lead detective and dog sit a tiny mutt called Hamlet. It was a light and enjoyable read and kept me guessing until the end.
Susan
Very enjoyable whodunnit, set in the theatre world. The discussion of how difficult it is to be an older woman without a loving family added depth to an otherwise traditional cozy. Too bad there only seems to be 2 books in this series - Morgan is a fascinating character.
Caroline Leathers-meyer
This book was an exciting read. The cynical, fresh commented Morgan was a joy to get to know. Her journey through the entire mystery was light and fresh. The pages turned easily and every character was likable, even the small appearance in the first chapter by Lilly London and the back biting actress who tries to be Morgan's competition. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to relax and enjoy a fun comedy.
Kim
I was looking for a light mystery and I got it with this one...not overly impressed by writing, found the mystery itself to be boring, and didn't find myself bonding with the characters. Won't choose this author again. Having said that, I've read worse!

Premise - actress (protagonist) auditions for play, gets part, murder(s) happen to people involved with play, mystery solved by end of book.
Carolyn
picked this up on a whim. It says it was the authors first murder mystery. It shows. The action doesn't advance fast enough for a while; the characters aren't as sharp as they could be; she leaves a few too many loose ends at the end. But it was a decent airplane book.
Kelly
I also got sucked into the characters' lives alot more than I expected. The ending was rushed, but I enjoyed the build up till the mystery was solved. I'll be looking for more books by this author.
Carla Olivier
I think this is a very great book, though it may have lacked to be as well-rounded as many published stories are. But still, it is a very fascinating and captivating story that will leave you guessing who the true "murderer" might be.
Helen
My husband and I listened to this mystery during a car trip and it was great! I enjoyed the behind the scenes look at an actor's world and liked the main character. I'd like to find more books by this author.
Carrie
This was just a fun quick read. I really liked the characters and the plot development. I learned a lot about the live theater community in Chicago as well as how someone trying to hide MS feels.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book partially because a good portion of the action takes place in a theatre with actors as characters. A good quick, light read. I will read her second book in the series.
Rachel
I really liked it. Gets into the world of actors - which I know nothing about. I wish the author had written more. Great mystery.
Lois
Sassy, interesting lead--an aspiring actress. Good writing. I'd read more by Sussman.
Michele
Light, but enjoyable.
Jenn
Jenn added it
Jun 04, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Dieter Cruising for Murder There's No Such Thing as a Chanukah Bush, Sandy Goldstein Time Off from Good Behavior Young Wives' Tales