Start by marking “Audition for Murder” as Want to Read:
Audition for Murder

Audition for Murder

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  121 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Welcome to the world of Morgan Taylor, a thirtysomething struggling actress who is dying for a juicy role in a prestigious revival on the Chicago stage. She hasn't had a real role in months, and the chance to work with the esteemed director Martin Wexler has her practically salivating. Though Morgan shows up right on time for the audition, Lily London, her assigned auditio ...more
Published January 15th 1999 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Audition for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Audition for Murder

Jan C
Dec 31, 2014 Jan C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, chi, library, audio
I just picked this one kind of at random. So it was a pleasant surprise. First off, it takes place in Chicago. A backstage mystery.

Morgan Taylor is a struggling actor in the Chicago theatrical community - at the Heartland (there's a nearby restaurant by that name) Theater. But her partner doesn't seem to be showing up. She finally auditions with someone else. Goes downstairs to a lesser used rest room and discovers her dead partner. Naturally she is a suspect. She left threatening messages on t
Crete Public Library District
Review by Kelly (Administration)

Audition for Murder is a fun mystery read. It follows many of the conventions of modern mysteries. A quirky female heroine who is a reluctant / accidental detective, a real detective who is sexy and available and attracted to said quirky female heroine, and a clever cast of characters.

What this book excels at is giving people an intriguing glimpse into the world of The Theater.

The main characters are well written, the "who-dun-it" twists adequately, and the voic
Lis Carey
Jan 06, 2013 Lis Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, dogs, audiobooks
Chicago actress Morgan Taylor is thrilled to get an audition for a major production of a play, not quite as happy to find that she is paired for the audition with aging, not-very-talented Lily London, very unhappy when Lily doesn't show and she has to read with a monotone stagehand--and hysterical when she discovers Lily London, dead, in the ladies' room afterwards.

Her unhappiness knows no bounds when her best friend Beth, suffering from multiple sclerosis and the unexpected heir of Lily's unsus
Susan
Morgan is desperate to get an acting job in a revival of an old play, directed by the original director, even when she finds the body of her reading partner, an elderly actress who has come under the protective wing of Morgan's best friend Beth. Morgan gets the part, but the ailing Beth comes under suspicion. Can Morgan help her while she's falling for the lead detective herself? And while someone just may be trying to kill her, too? Least likely culprit--you won't see this ending coming.
Leslea
May 07, 2015 Leslea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightfully quirky book. A murder mystery set in the theatrical world of stage plays. Provides a real insight into the lives of actors, you can almost smell the grease paint. Morgan Taylor is our main character striving for a part in a play. The book is told from her view point with lots of humour as she tries to solve the crime, possibly fall in love with the lead detective and dog sit a tiny mutt called Hamlet. It was a light and enjoyable read and kept me guessing until the end.
Susan
Very enjoyable whodunnit, set in the theatre world. The discussion of how difficult it is to be an older woman without a loving family added depth to an otherwise traditional cozy. Too bad there only seems to be 2 books in this series - Morgan is a fascinating character.
Bernadette
Feb 06, 2016 Bernadette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
finished 2016-02-04. Flawed, wry protagonist tangentially involved with mystery without being too nosey overall. The voice-over artist's interpretation really sold me on this!
Caroline Leathers-meyer
Feb 03, 2010 Caroline Leathers-meyer rated it it was amazing
This book was an exciting read. The cynical, fresh commented Morgan was a joy to get to know. Her journey through the entire mystery was light and fresh. The pages turned easily and every character was likable, even the small appearance in the first chapter by Lilly London and the back biting actress who tries to be Morgan's competition. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to relax and enjoy a fun comedy.
Kim
Feb 17, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok
I was looking for a light mystery and I got it with this one...not overly impressed by writing, found the mystery itself to be boring, and didn't find myself bonding with the characters. Won't choose this author again. Having said that, I've read worse!

Premise - actress (protagonist) auditions for play, gets part, murder(s) happen to people involved with play, mystery solved by end of book.
Carolyn
May 14, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
picked this up on a whim. It says it was the authors first murder mystery. It shows. The action doesn't advance fast enough for a while; the characters aren't as sharp as they could be; she leaves a few too many loose ends at the end. But it was a decent airplane book.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2007, bc2007
I also got sucked into the characters' lives alot more than I expected. The ending was rushed, but I enjoyed the build up till the mystery was solved. I'll be looking for more books by this author.
Carla Olivier
Apr 24, 2013 Carla Olivier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a very great book, though it may have lacked to be as well-rounded as many published stories are. But still, it is a very fascinating and captivating story that will leave you guessing who the true "murderer" might be.
Helen
Dec 18, 2010 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband and I listened to this mystery during a car trip and it was great! I enjoyed the behind the scenes look at an actor's world and liked the main character. I'd like to find more books by this author.
Carrie
Dec 10, 2009 Carrie rated it really liked it
This was just a fun quick read. I really liked the characters and the plot development. I learned a lot about the live theater community in Chicago as well as how someone trying to hide MS feels.
Elizabeth
I enjoyed this book partially because a good portion of the action takes place in a theatre with actors as characters. A good quick, light read. I will read her second book in the series.
Rachel
Nov 08, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it. Gets into the world of actors - which I know nothing about. I wish the author had written more. Great mystery.
Lois
Mar 23, 2012 Lois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sassy, interesting lead--an aspiring actress. Good writing. I'd read more by Sussman.
Michele
Light, but enjoyable.
Kate Spear
Great beach read!
Babe Paukstys
Babe Paukstys marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Janice
Janice added it
May 31, 2016
Sherry Tatar
Sherry Tatar rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Jen Peach
Jen Peach rated it it was ok
May 16, 2016
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016